Breastfeeding and dieting?

polishrose

Gold Member
Is there ANY diet I can safely follow while breastfeeding?Ania is 6 weeks old and I plan to feed till at least 6 months.

Hi there! I have been breastfeeding my boy for 10 months now and was told by a midwife that the safest way to lose weight whilst bf is to eat three healthy and nutricious meals a day (by that we don't mean scanty portions of lettuce) and the weight should fall off naturally without any danger. It is a scientific fact that drastic dieting causes toxins to be released not only in the bloodstream but into the milk itself, therefore most nutritionists would not advise 'dieting' whilst breastfeeding, but most would advise that eating the right sorts of food is what a nursing mother should be doing anyway, (for nutricious milk), and if you have excess baby weight it will naturally melt away. Also my MIL is a WW leader and tells me to continue drinking whole milk and not drink semi/or skimmed whilst BF as its important to get the fats in the whole! I've sort of been following this advice and losing weight quite well, and the baby seems happy too. so good luck!

Hi there. I am following the low GI diet and its worked well for me while breast feeding....best of luck...

Hi. Sorry but it's not true about drinking whole milk while breast feeding, (I'm not directing this at you, Cuddlepaws, just at the wrong info the midwife has given out) - it makes no difference at all. Humans can exist quite happily with out any dairy products at all and drinking milk does not correspond in any way shape or form to making milk whether it be full fat, semi skimmed or skimmed. Even full fat milk is less than 5% fat... If you want more info about this, I would speak to a more reliable source than a midwife who is giving out of date info... try la leche league, (www.lalecheleague.com) or perhaps the NCT who can put you in touch with a breast feeding counsellor.
I know this is probs not a big issue for you and I know I'm going off on one but I soooo hate it when medics give out bad, wrong information.
Just eat well and do loads of exercise - don't eat too many fatty or sugary foods and no harm will come to you or your baby AT ALL, you will have a plentiful milk supply, (so long as your baby is not denied any feeds and you don't supplement) and you should be able to BF until both you and your baby are ready to give it up!!!

I shall go away now and splash my face with cold water - I hope you're not offended by this post, it's not meant to make anyone reading feel uncomfortable!!!

Lots of love and respect.

Thanks all.I don't drink milk anyway as I don't really like it(other than a splash in coffee/tea sometimes.I'm planning on doing cambridge again once I stop feeding but don't want to gain loads while I'm feeding.I might look into the low GI diet-not tried that before.

You can follow WW (and I believe SW) if youre breastfeeding. WW give an extra points allowance for breast feeding mums

Thanks all.I don't drink milk anyway as I don't really like it(other than a splash in coffee/tea sometimes.I'm planning on doing cambridge again once I stop feeding but don't want to gain loads while I'm feeding.I might look into the low GI diet-not tried that before.

The low GI is great and "forces" you to eat really heathly....I did WW before and hated counting points.......let me know if you want any more details.

Back