Bren's Second Diary - Week 13 onwards

LincsBren

Silver Member
Well. What a holiday! Apologies in advance for a looooong entry.

I have been on a VLCD for just over 12 weeks - my Week 12 weigh in was on Saturday 23rd October. I started on Lipotrim, before swapping to Cambridge Diet mainly due to convenience and location (plus all the extra flavours are fab!) My original weight was 15st 1.6lbs and my goal was 11st - so a loss of 57.6lbs. I set a goal date of 4th December 2010.

I have not only been weighing myself, but also measuring myself (bust, under bust, waist, hips, upper arm and thigh). This has really helped me mentally as when the weight loss has slowed, the inches have kept dropping. I have gone from a size 18 to a size 12 :D

So, at my 12 week weigh-in I was 169.0lbs (12st 1lbs exactly) which means I have lost an amazing 42.6lbs and have just 15lbs to go to reach my goal. Over the last 2-3 weeks I have started having the odd high protein, low fat/carb snack - such as a couple of spoonfuls of vegetables or some white fish. I've been allowing myself to do this a couple of times a week, for my sanity! I have also included my week 12 measurements below: (X) = total loss.

Under bust: 34" (-4")
Around bust: 38.5" (-7.5")
Waist: 31.75" (-8.25")
Hips: 39.5" (-8.5")
Arms: 12" (-2")
Thighs: 23.75" (-4.25")

On Sunday, I went away for a short break with my OH. I had already decided that I would relax on the diet a bit, but try and make sensible choices. It sort of worked... but not entirely. Here is what I ate:

Sunday: CD porridge for breakfast and CD bar for lunch. 3 course meal at the restaurant - leek and potato soup (ok - but the 1 slice of wholemeal bread was bad); baked salmon with asparagus (good); chocolate orange creme brulee (bad, but luckily tiny portion!) I drank water all evenings.

Monday: Cooked breakfast (bacon, sausage, egg, mushrooms - no carby stuff = good) and tea to drink. I then ruined that by having a Thorntons ice-cream (1 scoop) whilst out shopping. I started to feel very sick quite quickly, which sort of came and went. By 4pm I was very bloated and uncomfortable, but managed my lunchtime CD bar which helped a little. The pain came back again in the evening, but again I managed my CD porridge for tea. Figured the sugar was upsetting me big time!

Tuesday: Cooked breakfast again, but less of it (2 small sausages and a small fried egg). Only I was also naughty and had a slice of wholemeal toast with butter, and a small danish (1" by 2", so tiny, but will very bad!). Lunchtime was a CD bar and plenty of water. Teatime I made a major error of judgement. We decided to get take-away, and I chose a chicken korma. I didn't order any rice or bread, literally just ate the chicken and some of the sauce (thankfully had a fork and no spoon, or I'd have probably ended up munching a lot more sauce!) I felt fine (it was delicious!) and we went on to the dancing venue. Had a good few dances, and started to feel a little bloated. Then started feeling a bit sick. Drank some water which helped a little. Left at 10pm to start the 2 hour drive home.

At 10.30pm my upper abdomen started really hurting. It felt like someone had put a tight belt on me and was squeezing it tighter - it even made my back sore. I started to get breathless and the pain was getting worse. Pulled into a layby on the motorway quickly... pain getting worse. I tried curling up, lying down, walking, crouching, thought I was going to be sick... nothing. OH ended up calling an ambulance when I started screaming with the pain :rolleyes: at about 11pm. Once they'd found us, they whisked me off and gave me gas and air - no help at all. So then I had some sweet, sweet morphine... pain finally went 10 mins later (about midnight).

After much prodding and poking, bloods etc they decided I probably had gall stones and could go home as long as I followed it up with my GP today - the hospital was an hour from home and my Dad had to come out with a car my OH was insured on, and so he could drive me car, so we were all stuck in A&E with my poor Mum at home who had just had chemotherapy that afternoon! Got home at 4.30am this morning.

This morning I was mostly throwing up - probably morphine related. I saw my GP at 10pm who comfirmed gall bladder issue (after 1 very quick and easy test, and 1 that the doctors in the hospital never did!) and has referred me for ultrasound. Pain very mild today thank goodness, but I am shattered and still queasy. Apparently losing weight quickly makes you very susceptible to gall stones, but of course the best diet for them is low fat so GP is happy for me to continue on CD. I suspect the very rich korma triggered it, and I had obviousl aggravated it over the couple of days with cooked breakfasts / ice cream - so my fault for not reintroducing food gradually.

I really thought that I'd knock myself out of ketosis, retain some water, and need a week to get back on track with the diet - I never dreamed I would cause myself so much agony. I've never known pain like it, and I've had some pretty nasty riding accidents!

So. Back on track today with CD. I slept for most of the day and managed porridge at 4pm. I still have 2 shakes to go, and make myself have them as my body needs the nutrients to heal.

I think tomorrow will be easy too, but Friday - the dreaded 3rd day of getting back into ketosis - will be really tough as I'll be [hopefully!] feeling better and likely to want 'real food'. I thought it was time I started a new diary though, to keep this post at the top to remind myself why it's so important that I'm sensible. Cheating on green veg and white fish is one thing, but I cannot let that escalate. I have 3.5 weeks left on my 420 cals a day - if I stay on track and don't cheat at all, there is no reason why I shouldn't be very close to goal by then. And if I am truly sensible going to my 2 shakes, 400 cal meal and 150 cal healthy snacks (total approx 800 cals a day) after that, I should still reach my goal of 11 stone by 4th December AND not aggravate my poor gall bladder any more.

Here endeth the sermon :rolleyes:

Blimey Bren you don't do things by halves do you! I've known quite a few friends have gall bladder issues and they've generally kept them under control by careful diets, ie no fats........I guess that it's going to keep you on the straight and narrow!

Your weight and inch loss is truly inspirational! Xxxx

You poor thing. I can't believe it. I've heard that it's so painful. I hope you pick up soon. What a terrible thing to happen. How is your mum?

oh dear, doesn't sound good. Hope u start feeling better soon! u've been doing great xx

Thanks girls! Monarch, mum's fine thank you - this was her 6th chemo (out of 8) so she's nearly there! She swapped drugs on the last round and had an allergic reaction, so was stuffed full of piriton before getting chemo this time and has taken it well. It'll be the weekend it really hits her and she sleeps a lot, but otherwise is coping very well. Thank you for asking! xx

Blimey Bren... It doesn't seem to rain on you at the moment, it pours!!!

You are doing really well... Luckily your wonderful strength and determination will carry you through this rough time.

I hope you start to feel better hun.... Lots of love and hugs for both you and your mum x x x

I've just looked at my calendar - it's my 90th day today!

Also my second day 100% after the hols; tomorrow will be tough but I WILL get through it. And then by Saturday morning, I'll be back in ketosis AND be back on track when I have my Week 13 weigh in! I expect I'll have put some water weight on whilst on hols, so my hope for Saturday is to have lost any that I gained and so to have stayed the same (169.0lbs).

I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't resist hopping on the scales this morning, just to see if my aim to stay the same this week was realistic.

Well.... :drumroll: I'm 11st 13lbs!! Scales showed 167.6lbs so by tomorrow hopefully I'll have dropped that 0.6lbs and so lost a full 2lbs, despite all the holiday food. Amazing! This gives me hope that I may get back to 3lbs a week without the extra nibbles, and so may be pretty damn close to goal by the time I stop this (22 days left on TFR, including today). :bunnydance:

AND this means my BMI is now 27 exactly, and I've lost over 20% of my starting weight. I've lost over 3/4 of what I had to lose as well - less than a stone to go now (just!) What motivation!

Not in ketosis yet, but hopefully will be by tomorrow. Feeling quite hungry today put still sore so not tempted to eat anything - I actually feel quite frightened about being in that kind of pain again, so I suppose have been scared into being really strict with myself!

I'm right there with you Bren, same height and weight.....I'm aiming for 10 stone but until I get to 11stone I'm not going to make up my mind.....at my age apparently a skinny arse means a scrawny face! Difficult choice?!

I hope that my break in London is equally successful....how are you feeling now? You don't sound that well.......x

The lightest I've ever been as an adult (or in fact as a teenager!) is 11st 4lbs, so I really don't know what my 'ideal' weight is as it's always been a figment of my imagination! Even when I had a bad case of glandular fever, complete with good old hepatitis and was hospitalised and then unable to eat for 6 weeks I STILL didn't drop below 11st 10lbs! And I was all ribs and boney bits - not a good look! So I'll definitely have to play it by ear - at 11st I'll only JUST be in 'normal' BMI, but if I'm a comfortable - or even small - size 12 I think I'll look just right. I have broad shoulders and hips, so do run the risk of looking out of proportion I guess.

I'm still feeling a bit rough - mild but pretty constant pain. My bloods showed signs of inflammation so guess my poor gallbladder is still suffering a bit - repeat bloods on Tuesday, and ultrasound scan as soon as my appointment comes through - but if it takes too long, I can go private (thank god for insurance!)

hi havent been on here for a while but just want to say you have done great your losses and messurments are great.
well done x x x

Thank you - how're you getting on? 6 stone in 14 weeks is AMAZING, well done you!!

thanks hun yes its amazing and i totally feel great its been the best thing i have every done. i dont feel that i struggle its just like the `norm` for me now lol x x x

2.8lbs off for week 13 so am now 166.2lbs (11st 12.2lbs) - thrilled! 12.2lbs to go :bunnydance:

Ahh Bren, I sympathise with the gall stone pain! I had my gall bladder removed at age 18, after years of pain through my teens. Sadly they couldn't do mine via keyhole surgery either :( I also had pancreatitis when pregnant with my first baby aged 28 and the pain is much the same. I honestly think it's on a par with childbirth! Go easy now hun and well done on getting yourself back on track and into the 11's! :D

xx

well done on ur loss xxx

11st 11.2lbs today! For the first time in weeks I really feel back in the swing of it, not tempted by any food at all and really positive and excited about my consultant weigh in tomorrow night! Woohoo!

I've also been having 10st-7lbs musings. Again. :rolleyes:

I could never truly comprehend those figures at the start of this weight loss journey - I think I was about 12y/o when I began to weigh myself (not obsessively, just began to notice my weight!) and clearly remember being 11st 7lbs then. It sounds horrific, doesn't it? I wasn't a skinny child, but I wasn't huge at all! I was fit and active... but I also remember when I was 14 and trying to sell one of my ponies, I was 12st 7lbs. That's heavier than I am now, and yet - again - I didn't look particularly overweight - just 'chubby'. Weight and size is a funny thing.

Anyway, my point being, I don't think I've EVER stepped on the scales and seen 10st-something. The lightest I have been in my adult life is 11st 4lbs - shamefully, not even a 'normal' BMI.

I feel positive about reaching 11 stone - where I will have a BMI of 24.9 - so only just 'normal'. Although I FEEL fantastic, and everyone says I LOOK fantastic, and I do realise that I am looking good now (I'd say 'fantastic' was stretching it!), I am very conscious that I still have a lot of fat on me... when I sit down, I still have 2 rolls around my tummy! I am happy with my face, shoulders, chest, hips and bum... my arms are very nearly there, but I am not yet happy with my thighs or tummy. This makes me think that 11st is not going to cut it - that's only 11lbs away, and I don't think 11lbs loss is enough to slim down my fat bits.

Would it be crazy to move the goal posts now? At 10st 7lbs my BMI would be 23.7 which I feel is healthier. I want to be able to maintain within 'healthy', so it would also give me bounce room - I'm aware of how common it is to put weight on throughout refeed as your body starts to regain some glycogen stores, and fear that if I stop at 11 stone, I don't have any 'regain' room.

3 weeks left on SS. This should take me within spitting distance of 11 stone. I have set 4th December as my goal date - this will be 2 weeks into refeed, so I'd be on approx 800 cals a day. According to the CD info I've had, I *ought* to be able to lose 2lbs a week still. However, we all know how stubborn those last lbs are! So if I said 1.5lbs was more realistic a week...

6th Nov - hopefully 11st 9 (still on SS)
13th Nov - hopefully 11st 6 (still on SS)
20th Nov - hopefully 11st 3 (switch to 810)
27th Nov - hopefully 11st 1.5 (810)
4th Dec - initial goal of 11st? (810)
11th Dec - 10st 12.5?
18th Dec - 10st 11?
25th Dec - hmmm!! Maybe slightly more indulgent for one day, but depends on gallstone situation anyway - don't fancy a christmas A&E trip! No reason why I shouldn't lose a pound if sensible. 10st 10lbs?
1st Jan - 10st 8.5lbs?
8th Jan - 10st 7lbs?

Mentally, rightly or wrongly, I REALLY wanted to NOT be dieting (well, not still trying to lose - just on the maintenance / refeed path) by 2011. I know that probably seems so silly in the grand scheme, but every year - and I mean EVERY year - one of my new year's resolutions is to lose weight! I don't want to have to make that one this time!

Argh!

Back