'Britain's fattest teenager' regains weight after losing 14st

This is just awful. I feel for her with her family situation but it is no excuse to put 14 stone on in just a couple of years. I find it unimaginable that you could let yourself regain all that weight after losing it, fair enough if it was a few stone but 14 stone, I would be sick with myself!

It's all relative - I'm 21 stones and battling, there are people on minis who weigh more than that and are battling, and people who weigh less and can't imagine, as I couldn't when I was in my teens/early 20s, how anyone could ever get to 20 stones or over but who are still battling a weight problem themselves. I don't think it's about 'excuses' - more about the psychological issues she obviously has, and that those of us who 'comfort eat' and get fat, all have to some extent. If the root cause of why we emotionally eat is not tackled, no matter how much will power is used any weight lost will go back on.

She hasn't been able to leave the house for 6 months....so who's been feeding her??? They're just as much to blame. She obviously doesn't work so how on earth can she afford to eat so much???

She hasn't been able to leave the house for 6 months....so who's been feeding her??? They're just as much to blame. She obviously doesn't work so how on earth can she afford to eat so much???
I think some parents think they are helping but really are not. If she is distressed and she must be to get to that size, I know what its like to be a big. And most of us get there because of how unhealthy relationship with food. As for affording to eat I saw a interesting study that said the majority of those overweight tended not to be on higher incomes compared to those of ideal weight. But yes it probably is not the cheapest way of living. I feel sorry for her because she is probably not ina good place and her picture is being shown everywhere. She needs psychological help not publicity.

Unfortunateltpy though she's not taking the help she's been given. She's not just been left to get on with things she's got a consultant who's been working with her. She was put on a diet by them to save her life but she 'gave up on it'. She's getting plenty help she's choosing not to take it. Until someone wants to be helped there's nothing anyone else can do and she just doesnt seem to want to be helped

I do blame the parents in this case - yes she may well have been their carer but I'm pretty sure they had at least some say over the food bought and eaten. She was very big from a very young age... not just that, but she's said herself that the NIGHT she got back from fat camp her mum bought fish and chips as she "hadn't had time" to do anything healthy. Doesn't show much commitment to supporting her daughter IMHO.

True, but when it's all a person has ever known, all they've been raised with...? I honestly think the girl is a victim - but that in the same sentence, she could choose not to be, to refuse to be bound by her upbringing. I hope she manages to, for her sake.

Unfortunateltpy though she's not taking the help she's been given. She's not just been left to get on with things she's got a consultant who's been working with her. She was put on a diet by them to save her life but she 'gave up on it'. She's getting plenty help she's choosing not to take it. Until someone wants to be helped there's nothing anyone else can do and she just doesnt seem to want to be helped
That is so true even before I got big I have had depression, I am sure it was part of the reason I comfort ate so much. But I just wanted to be left alone, I was so scared of getting help. It was only when it affected me to the point of being scared to leave the house and panic attacks, affecting my degree I got help. Luckily at I managed to get a first but I relapsed bad a few years later when I used food as a crutch. 10 years on I am still fighting those demons, but with help, medication and a more healthy relationship with food. You are right until you admit you need help, very little can be done. The publicity I do not agree with she is 19 years old and clearly not well whether she is getting psychological help or not the publicity is the last thing a girl her age that size needs. Hopefully now she is in hospital it will be easier since its already there to get the physical and mental health help she needs.

I feel desperately sorry for her, I really do. But, as Starlight says, if you refuse the help given you, accept that you will not live past 20 if you carry on as you are but 'can't be bothered dealing with it all right now' at age 19, how can you be helped?

I blame her parents. Shes always been overweight and thats a result of what her parents fed her they'e brought her up and programmed to to eat vast amounts of food.... and when he parents got ill and she was forced to become their carer then she looked to food even more so for comfort, hardly surprising.

I have a 2nd cousin who's daughter is about 4, at 2 years old she was HUGE, like a little sumo baby. My mum said it was just 'the way she is'

However when I was at my nanas and this woman and her daughter were visitig i broke out a tub of fresh fruit for my kids and asked her mum is she would like a strawberry or grape, she said her daughter had 'never had one before' and declined only to get out a GRAB BAG SIZED packet of walkers crisps!!

WTF?

i was literally gobsmacked.

She said all she eats is nuggets and chips.

Poor kid is still huge :(

Good lord, really? This girl is so very ill and all anyone wants to do is say she brought it on herself? She's a teenager. How many brilliant responsible decisions did you make at that age? The girl cares for both parents and from the looks of things has had a grim, sad life. To have eaten herself to that weight suggests severe depression to me - she's killing herself. Only people in the self destructive grip of dependency will do that.

The poor, poor child. It's a shame her boot camp experience didn't change her life the way it was hoped, but look at the statistics from how many drug addicts slip back after rehab, how many alcoholics relapse after completing the 12 steps, how many released prisoners reoffend. Out of the restrictive, unrealistic environment of the boot camp, she didn't keep up the regime.

I suspect I'm far more educated than she has a hope of being and I still live unhealthily from time to time - and did solidly for a long time.

I hope she gets help. I suspect surgery is her only chance now, and I'd rather my taxes pay for it than see a young girl die needlessly.

I completely agree with this.

I honestly believe to be as heavy as this girl is now, that she is mentally ill and has an eating disorder. You wouldn't tell an Anorexic or Bulimic that their conditions were 'their' fault. It's the same with this girl too. It seems to me that she's had a sad life, a mother with seemingly no concept of nutrition (and I would assume a feeder too) and she probably has severe depression and self-esteem issues. It seems me that it's spiralled sadly, sadly out of control. She's got herself in a frame of mind where she can't and won't get healthier. She presents excuse after excuse because it's easier than making a life change. I think we've all been there- how many of us have 'Oh, I'll start the diet tomorrow' or 'I'll go to the gym next week'. It's because it's scary to make a change, even if we know it's the right thing.

I feel sorry for her. She's in hospital now and I hope she remains there for a while and doesn't return to the family home. It seems like that would be the best thing for her future.

Thank you for the link to the article about her, I did wonder how she was getting on.

I feel desperately sorry for her and I hope she gets the help she needs now. I'm glad to read that after hospital she'll be going to a special obesity clinic, hopefully she'll be there for a long time to re-educate her before they even consider sending her back home.

I lay the blame at her parents doors. She was hugely overweight at such a young age, I read she was the weight of a teenager by the time she was 5 years old and it just carried on from there, her parents must have conditioned her eating from such a young age and it would be very hard for her to go against what they were giving her even as a 14 year old. The last 6 months she was at home before they had to get her out of the house, she was stuck upstairs so totally reliant on what food they were bringing her. They could have been taking low fat stuff up to her if they had the inclination and there is not a lot she could have done about it but they certainly appear to have been feeding her c**p till the very end, even though it was blatantly affecting her health. In my eyes, it's child abuse.

Yes, her parents have a lot of answering to do. An obsesity clinic sounds like the best bet for her- I hope she doesn't go home.

Very sad her parents have enabled her read an article on the paper and although her mum was ill she was still feeding her daughter junk food.

So sad for her.

Back