Budget food

Tab

Ive just had my car unsrance bill and with other bills coming in I need to get my fodo shopping down to about £15 a week. I currently spend that on fruit adn veg alone so its going to be a challenge... well that and nicking loo rolls when Im out ;)
Anyway if I stop buying expensive veg and stick to carrots, onions, courgettes and seasonable stuff I can cope. Im planning on a fair number of stews using various dried (soaked) mixed bean but can you eat too many beans?

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great
Thank you

The value veg is much cheaper and still good. if you shop late in the day you can get cheap stuff that's just in date too. better if you have a shop that's not 24hours.

you could do green and have veg and potato stew bulked out with pearl barley and lentils (could also add some stewing/casserole beef if you wanted an EE day)

pearl barley rissotto (just use cooked pearl barley instead of rice) - yummy and cheap :)

cheap veg stir fry

egg fried rice (with frylight of course ;) )

egg beans and sw chips

jacket potato with beans and cheese, tuna mayo, or a dollop of l/w cream cheese

potato wedges

chicken soup (any old veggies, potato, pearl barley, lentils, a couple of stock cubes and 1x HEb of chicken. boil it all up until the pearl barley's cooked then blitz with a hand blender. will make loads for ya money and your HEb ;) )

Veg markets about 3/4 hr before they shut are practically giving the stuff away! Tescos sell off alot round about 7 o clock. I've never looked in the skips behind supermarkets! But I hear it all there for the taking!
Aldi and Lidl are ace for cheap veg.
Pulses are all good protein and very cheap and get your cholesterol down. Combine them with pasta/rice for perfect nutrition. Visit the Vegetarian Soc website for recipes. And of course there's eggs

Back