BUDGET

Hi, I'm on sw so find myself making a lot of soups/broths as such I find fresh veg just past it's prime to be good value (grow my own as well) I'm merciless when it comes to cheap and free food, I often drop hints in my shop to customers that garden that I can use anything in a soup !
Also you'd be surprised how many food production factories have a staff sales policy we get fresh skinless chicken breast through a friend that works in the local abbatoir for just over a £1.00 a pound - it all adds up

vanilla_cupcake said:
Children who are fed £1 bags of food :yuk: that you just bung in the oven will most likely grow up to have food/obesity issues, they won't know what a home cooked meal is, what its like to have a meal cooked from scratch or what a decent meal actually tastes like!! Being healthy doesn't have to be expensive! :)

It might not be expensive to eat healthily, but it is not as cheap as £1 junk food from iceland no matter how frugal & clever you are. Some people just don't have the luxury of being able to make the healthy choice.

With regards to the OP's original question -
If you have an Aldi near you then stock up on their super6 veg offers. They are brilliant.

kingleds said:
It might not be expensive to eat healthily, but it is not as cheap as £1 junk food from iceland no matter how frugal & clever you are. Some people just don't have the luxury of being able to make the healthy choice.

With regards to the OP's original question -
If you have an Aldi near you then stock up on their super6 veg offers. They are brilliant.

How hard is it for someone to walk into Sainsburys and buy a bag of basic carrots, potatoes and maybe a turnip, comes to £2.85!! Nice healthy meal!!

My post wasn't a dig at the OP as she doesn't say whether she has children or not I just don't know how anyone could give their child rubbish food to eat when they can feed them a healthy meal that won't break the bank!! People need to give their children a healthy diet otherwise they won't grow up to be healthy! Children learn from their parents!

Sent from my iPad

vanilla_cupcake said:
How hard is it for someone to walk into Sainsburys and buy a bag of basic carrots, potatoes and maybe a turnip, comes to £2.85!! Nice healthy meal!!

My post wasn't a dig at the OP as she doesn't say whether she has children or not I just don't know how anyone could give their child rubbish food to eat when they can feed them a healthy meal that won't break the bank!! People need to give their children a healthy diet otherwise they won't grow up to be healthy! Children learn from their parents!

Sent from my iPad

I did not think you were making a dig at the OP - i thought you were making a rather illinformed comment which seems to indicate that you do not understand how little some people have to feed their famillies. I know plenty of people who could not afford to spend £2.85 per meal & just because i am not one of them does not mean i can't see & recognise it. It must be nice to live in a bubble.

kingleds said:
I did not think you were making a dig at the OP - i thought you were making a rather illinformed comment which seems to indicate that you do not understand how little some people have to feed their famillies. I know plenty of people who could not afford to spend £2.85 per meal & just because i am not one of them does not mean i can't see & recognise it. It must be nice to live in a bubble.

:)

Sent from my iPad

When I was a kid, we were poor. Poorer still as first dibs went on Sherry, we lived on egg and chips, a chicken on Sunday sometimes. So meals from scratch aren't always healthy!

I used to work with a girl who reckoned it was cheaper to buy junk than cook, she wasn't as desperately poor as some and spent a lot on McDs and pizza hut.
I taught her the four day chicken and how to make your own pizza and have fun with her daughter. But without the knowledge even loads of money isn't going to help. We need to make sure we educate the next generation!

Shirleen said:
When I was a kid, we were poor. Poorer still as first dibs went on Sherry, we lived on egg and chips, a chicken on Sunday sometimes. So meals from scratch aren't always healthy!

I used to work with a girl who reckoned it was cheaper to buy junk than cook, she wasn't as desperately poor as some and spent a lot on McDs and pizza hut.
I taught her the four day chicken and how to make your own pizza and have fun with her daughter. But without the knowledge even loads of money isn't going to help. We need to make sure we educate the next generation!

What's the four day chicken??

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

I tend to go with whats on offer re yoghurts etc - and it makes me try different things!!

I also hog the reduced section - I got finest cod loins today - 4 for £1.50 reduced from over £5!!!!!

I also do a lot of veggie dishes and go for quality rather than quantity with my meat and fish.

Welshtigger said:

She was a single parent of one child so this may not work for everyone.
Buy one large chicken
(preferably poach the chicken, most people won't want to)
Day 1 Cook the chicken use the breast for one meal say a roast.
When cold remove the rest of the meat from the carcass, keeping each leg meat separate.
Day 2, use one of the leg meat for a chicken pizza or pie, add lots of vegetables,
Day 3, use the other leg for a casserole again adding lots of veg
Day 4, pop the carcass broken if necessary in a pot and cover with water, add carrot, onion, parsley, peppercorns and a clove of garlic ( no need to peel or chop any of the veg just wash the carrot and onion, onion skins give it a nice colour) bring to the boil, then simmer for an hour. Strain the liquid into another pan, add veg like leeks, carrots sweetcorn, and cubed potato or mini pasta ( but not till later in the cooking time) simmer gently until veg is tender add fresh chopped herbs, maybe some dumplings (non SWers) and serve as a lovely soup.

So that's one £4 chicken for four days!

Shirleen said:
She was a single parent of one child so this may not work for everyone.
Buy one large chicken
(preferably poach the chicken, most people won't want to)
Day 1 Cook the chicken use the breast for one meal say a roast.
When cold remove the rest of the meat from the carcass, keeping each leg meat separate.
Day 2, use one of the leg meat for a chicken pizza or pie, add lots of vegetables,
Day 3, use the other leg for a casserole again adding lots of veg
Day 4, pop the carcass broken if necessary in a pot and cover with water, add carrot, onion, parsley, peppercorns and a clove of garlic ( no need to peel or chop any of the veg just wash the carrot and onion, onion skins give it a nice colour) bring to the boil, then simmer for an hour. Strain the liquid into another pan, add veg like leeks, carrots sweetcorn, and cubed potato or mini pasta ( but not till later in the cooking time) simmer gently until veg is tender add fresh chopped herbs, maybe some dumplings (non SWers) and serve as a lovely soup.

So that's one £4 chicken for four days!

Wow! That's a brilliant idea :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Not saying this is the case for everyone but it's amazing how many of these people still manage to have their fags, mobile phones, satellite TV and games consoles.

£50 a month for food? I think I spend that on Activia yoghurts alone! All credit to you for doing it, I wish I could be more frugal.

PatchworkPuss said:
Not saying this is the case for everyone but it's amazing how many of these people still manage to have their fags, mobile phones, satellite TV and games consoles.

Of course there are people out there like this - they annoy me intensely. Mainly because as a result of a very small minority who take advantage of the system & make their way onto the pages of the national press people seem to think that every low income family is like this - when they are emphatically not. Juse because the daily mail prints it doesn't mean its true.

Anyway, back on topic. I really like Shirleens 4 day chicken idea & will be nicking it for myself.

EVERYONE I know on the dole has a car, satellite tv, broadband, holidays, smokes, go out most weekends, mobile phones (their children also have mobile phones) etc etc etc, makes me sick to my stomach!! stuff like this really winds me up when their children take a back seat in the healthy eating department!

I was going to stay out of this but I just can't now.
Cupcake you are sooooo narrow minded I think you need to take a good hard look at the world.
My mum lived on benefits with me cause my loser of a dad sodded off when I was two and she didn't smoke, drink or drive. Twice a week we'd catch a bus so I could stay at my nans while my mum worked a minimum wage job. We lived in a 2 bedroom flat above a shop and my mum spent every last penny she had trying to give me what I needed. Not wanted, just needed cause people on benefits are not rolling in and it's definatly not the high life you so obviously think it is. Stop talking about something you so obviously know nothing about.

laura4988 said:
Cupcake you are sooooo narrow minded I think you need to take a good hard look at the world.
My mum lived on benefits with me cause my loser of a dad sodded off when I was two and she didn't smoke, drink or drive. Twice a week we'd catch a bus so I could stay at my nans while my mum worked a minimum wage job. We lived in a 2 bedroom flat above a shop and my mum spent every last penny she had trying to give me what I needed. Not wanted, just needed cause people on benefits are not rolling in and it's definatly not the high life you so obviously think it is. Stop talking about something you so obviously know nothing about.

Here here Laura!!! :)

I WASN'T THE 1ST PERSON TO MAKE THE BLOODY COMMENT!!!!!!!! PATCHWORKPUSS WAS!!!!!!!!!!

Did I say 'you personally' NO I DIDN"T I said everyone I KNOW!!! I'm entitled to my opinion just like everyone else is, if people don't agree thats up to them!! :) END OF!! :)

Last edited:
vanilla_cupcake said:
EVERYONE I know on the dole has a car, satellite tv, broadband, holidays, smokes, go out most weekends, mobile phones (their children also have mobile phones) etc etc etc, makes me sick to my stomach!! stuff like this really winds me up when their children take a back seat in the healthy eating department!

Maybe you should be taking issue with the over-availability of credit and irresponsible companies that give credit out to people who clearly cannot afford to pay it back.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

laura4988 said:

Well said Laura. Though i'm afraid you are probably wasting your valuable time trying to explain the real world to certain people on here.

I am another one who was going to stay out
on this one as I hate the pettiness and ill informed opinions we sometimes see on here.

My sister brought up her children by herself and was on benefits.
She really helped herself by taking up the paving flags in her back yard, she lived in a small terraced house,and grew vegetables, and was brave enough to raise chickens and rabbits for the table and for eggs. She was so poor she waited until her children had finished eating before she ate herself.

She did not have a car or any luxuries at all and neither did her children but because of her initiative they ate well.

She walked everywhere, made their clothes from clothes she bought at church jumble sales.

She was amazing. She still is and so are her children who are all now adults with kids of their own.

I agree it is your right to have your opinion but it is also everyone else's right to respond with their own.:D

Back