Buffalo wings carb count mystery - need help!

Soraya

Silver Member
I used the link posted in another thread to the blog I breathe... I'm hungry

I Breathe...I'm Hungry...: Classic Buffalo Wings

Loved the cauli mash and so want to try the buffalo wings. Ordered the Franks sauce from Tesco and the bottle is around 40g of carb - not low let alone zero carb.

The recipe on the blog is meant to be low carb and I've checked on the web and every recipe says use Franks hot sauce, the whole thing is zero carbs. Even fitday.com reckons 1.1g carb for 500g wings.

Can anyone shed any light on this? AM I missing something?

I have a pack of wings here and am all set for tomorrow - buffalo wings with celeriac chips. But have worked hard and don't want to come out of ketosis.

Edit: I have the original cayenne redhot & mfp says zero carb.

Last edited:
Morning, here are some photos of the bottle. Had to take 2 of the label as quite hard to get the small text to be legible.

Attachments

• 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 124
Hmm interesting! Unless its cos it says it uses red peppers which are carby? But I'm afraid it looks like the carb count sticks. Wonder why yours is different to the one listed on website.

Ok so as the label says there are 31g carbs per 100g. A tablespoon is probably approx 15-30g which could be up to 10g carb. So a splash is fine, more i would probably avoid in induction

Believe it or not - the recipe says to use the whole bottle!

I'm mystified by the way all the recipes, mfp etc say zero carb for this stuff. Bit disappointed as the recipe looks great.

Glad I checked with you guys.

Right, I've read the ingredients and am off to make my own sauce.

Thank you.

Last edited:
There's a recipe for the wings on their site saying to use a cup. Must be the American site.

At least if u make it yourself U know what's in it n can accurately count the carbs.

There's a zero carb maple syrup on lowcarbmegastore which I've used to do a marinade before n worked well. Just chucked in spring onions, soy sauce n worc sauce n it was yum.

Thanks - will report back. I am a chicken wing addict and the ready made one are really high carb so I was v.excited to see the recipe on the blog.

Have figured out a sauce which should be 5g carb for the whole thing.

One small snag -for some reason my DH doesn't want buffalo wings for breakfast. :)

Home made buffalo wings -my new fav!

The wings came out fab! I ditched the sauce and made my own: 0.5cups of white wine vinegar, 1 tbsp of cayenne, 0.5 tsp pepper, salt to taste. 4tbsp of melted butter all mixed together. 5g of carb altogether according to fitday. This was for a 1kg pack of wings.

I oiled a foil lined baking tray and cooked the wings in the oven for 30mins, turning once. Then removed and coated in the sauce and returned to the oven for another 30 mins turning them once.

Served with mayo/blue cheese dip - 1g carb. Loads less carb than the hot and spicy tesco wings which were 30g carb for 500g to my 2.5g!

Very hot, so worth cutting back the cayenne unless you love hot food - which I do:)

I also made celeriac crisps, cutting thin slices - just 100g worth into the left over oil. I really enjoyed them but at 9 g carb for such a small amount I don't think I'll be doing that again.

Can't believe it's a way of losing weight!

There was some discussion about it the other day & the labels on the veggie seem to differ from some carb counters.

I thought for now I'd give it a miss - I seemed to be responding to it the way I do some trigger foods like pistachios (can't stop eating them) which gave me a bad feeling.

Back