But I've never heard of that one....

Starlight

Gold Member
My mum has always been dead against me doing a VLCD but she now agrees with me it's the right thing to try.

New problem though is I was telling her what I'd decided and now her worry is 'Exante? I've never heard of that one. Can't you just do CD.'

Now part if me can see where she's coming from I'd possibly be worried too if the tables were turned but how can I persuade her it's fine lol. Did anyone else come across this?

My hubby was a bit freaked out when I told him about it but I told him to read up on the info on the Exante website, and there's also quite a lot of good stuff on wikipedia etc about VLCD's.
I also spoke to a friend of mine who is a nurse and she told me that a lot of GP's think they are good for people who are obese (obviously excluding people who have pre-existing conditions etc).
Anyway, it's your mum's job to worry, isn't it lol xx

OMG just read that post back, not that I'm saying you are obese xxx

Explain to her that these days VLCD provision is big business and there are new diets coming on the market on (it sometimes seems) a pretty much daily basis so just the fact that it's a name she may not have heard of doesn't mean it's no good.

Then go on to explain that Exante is one of the few newer ones that isn't a rebadged version of the same product, that it's cheaper than several others including CD, that it's nutritionally complete, that it doesn't contain aspartame or other artificial ingredients, that even though there are no consultants (who are sometimes very very good on the other diets but sometimes merely resellers of the product) there is a good support network here including some people who have been very successful on this diet, that it's quite a flexible eating plan once you get into it and that you wouldn't dream of ordering it if you hadn't researched it really thoroughly and were satisfied that it was likely to be a good choice for you.

If she's still not happy just smile sweetly and do it anyway! :D

Yeah, what yambabe said, I do so enjoy reading her posts!

Explain to her that these days VLCD provision is big business and there are new diets coming on the market on (it sometimes seems) a pretty much daily basis so just the fact that it's a name she may not have heard of doesn't mean it's no good.

Then go on to explain that Exante is one of the few newer ones that isn't a rebadged version of the same product, that it's cheaper than several others including CD, that it's nutritionally complete, that it doesn't contain aspartame or other artificial ingredients, that even though there are no consultants (who are sometimes very very good on the other diets but sometimes merely resellers of the product) there is a good support network here including some people who have been very successful on this diet, that it's quite a flexible eating plan once you get into it and that you wouldn't dream of ordering it if you hadn't researched it really thoroughly and were satisfied that it was likely to be a good choice for you.

If she's still not happy just smile sweetly and do it anyway! :D

Can I just give her your phone number?? lol

Thanks for that Im actually going to show her that as I think youve said everything Ive been trying to get across to her x

Yep ive heard that one SOOO many times. Even got told from someon "oh thats the one on the internet eh? its not doctor approved? wonder why that is? IT CANT BE SAFE!"

I just laughed at that one

So funny really too that most of the comments iv had have come from people who are overweight themselves....what they realy want to say is "i have no willpower to do it and i dont want u to be thinner than me so dont u do it...it cant be safe u know! haha"

Ah well :) We exante people know better!

Yep ive heard that one SOOO many times. Even got told from someon "oh thats the one on the internet eh? its not doctor approved? wonder why that is? IT CANT BE SAFE!"

I just laughed at that one

So funny really too that most of the comments iv had have come from people who are overweight themselves....what they realy want to say is "i have no willpower to do it and i dont want u to be thinner than me so dont u do it...it cant be safe u know! haha"

Ah well :) We exante people know better!

She did mention the fact it was online only - thought that was strange but then thats mums for you :)

At least I know she has my best interests at heart.

Im waiting for all the 'It cant be safe' comments from colleagues

Oh yeah i dont mind my mum questioning it, its random others whos comments i find funny

We have to expect questions from family i guess :D xxx

Hi Starlight,

I have lost weight with WW and slimming world and I know they both work but am am now looking to shift a big amount of weight in a short time.

I have been a member of Mini's for a very long time like yourself, I enjoy reading all different boards and I love reading the diary sections and blogs as well.

I feel I have learned so much from reading about VLCD, WW, SW, Low carb, atkins I could write a book.

From doing so much reading and research I feel can now make the informed decision to do a VLCD and the one I have chosen is Exante.

The simple reason being I can order it online, I don't want counselling ( I know why I am fat) I don't want the hassle of going each week to be weighed ( Work/life etc)

I don't know If I will succeed in getting through day one but I am going to try because I know a VLCD can give me the instant results I want and need. I know its not a miracle and my OH doesn't understand why I want to go without food but I have tried to explain to him I need to try this for me.

I have you manage to make your Mum understand and I wish you all the best and hopefully we can compare notes on here as we follow this plan.

Wendy x

Last edited:
I don't know If I will succeed in getting through day one but I am going to try

You need to be more positive!
How about:
I know day one will be tough but I've made the decision to do this and I will succeed.

It's only a few hours between each meal pack so even if you hate 'depriving' yourself of all that 'lovely' food that got you into this position it's really not long until your next pack.

Just keep pouring in the water ;)

mandy you are so right the ones that tell you its unsafe are the ones that wish they could do but got no will power and plus exante you have more cals than cd so which sounds more safe ??

Back