butternut squash

Yep you can mash it, just dice it up, boil or steam it and mash.

The tricky bit is peeling it so I tend to just roast mine, with the skin on, with some spices and herbs if I fancy. Takes about 30 mins or so at 200 deg.
You can also dice it quite small and use in risotto or use the roasted squash in risotto too.

BNS is my lifesaver on red/SE days. I love it!

Wedges, roasted, mashed, bunged into stews and casseroles, makes a lovely, creamy soup... I love it!

Mash it, chip it, roast it, bake it......there are all sorts of ways you can eat BNS and it is brilliant, enjoy it. X

Mash - check! Sometimes I add spring onion and wilted spring greens and make 'colcannon' - or adding a syn of mustard is really good, though it's good just mashed on its own too.

Roasted chunks - tastes a bit like sweet potato - check!

Sometimes I make mash or roasted chunks and save the 'bulb' end peice, then scoop out the seeds and crap and squirt it with frylight and roast it, then fill it with savoury turkey mince and mushrooms and take it to work.

I love roasted Butternut squash and also boiled with other veg in a roast.

Mash - check! Sometimes I add spring onion and wilted spring greens and make 'colcannon' - or adding a syn of mustard is really good, though it's good just mashed on its own too.

Roasted chunks - tastes a bit like sweet potato - check!

Sometimes I make mash or roasted chunks and save the 'bulb' end peice, then scoop out the seeds and crap and squirt it with frylight and roast it, then fill it with savoury turkey mince and mushrooms and take it to work.

Brilliant idea's Vixxster, thank you. X

thanks sooo much for all for replys - BNS overwells me as never tried it - with regards to the skin - can yiou eat it - it not how is the best way to chop it without roasting it - thanks all - its instead of having creamy, buttery patatoes on friday as making mince, patatoes and veg (my little cousin fav and she is coming to tea)

Yeah I don't like stuffed roasted peppers so when I make them for OH I get BNS bulb :D

thanks sooo much for all for replys - BNS overwells me as never tried it - with regards to the skin - can yiou eat it - it not how is the best way to chop it without roasting it - thanks all - its instead of having creamy, buttery patatoes on friday as making mince, patatoes and veg (my little cousin fav and she is coming to tea)

Nah the skin needs to go. If you're just going to make mash and CBA to peel, chop it in half lengthways, scoop out the guk and roast. Then scoop out the middle.

I use it to top shepherds/cottage pies too, nicer than swede mash I find, though for more substance you can mix boiled swede chunks with the BNS and make a firmer tastier mash.

Edit: Jaylou, you eat the skin? How? I find it really tough and rubbery.

I peel it for mash and casseroles etc., but for wedges, stuffed BNS and roast veg, I leave the skin on. I find it goes really soft and is easy to eat. And I imagine it's ooodles more fibre, which we all know is good for something... hehe

I like slicing mine lengthways just into quarters, sprinkling with dried chilli flakes and salt, spray with frylight and roasteroonie!

I love bns soup and chips. Great idea Vixx on stuffing the bulb, also nice cut in half lengthwise and stuffing with lamb, feta, and herbs. Or feta, courgettes, tomatoes, onions, couscous and herbs for veggies

xx

squtternut bosh my husband calls it

we have it roasted with a quick squirt of fry light and a sprinkle of salt - mmmmm

I take the skin off, i find it a bit hard, easy way to get it off is cut it in half put it cut side down in a big roasting dish and cover with a kettle full of boiled water leave for about 10 minutes and it peels off easily

Back