Buying a house

Hannahkw1

Silver Member
Hello,

So I am a first time buyer, looking to buy a house in my local area. I have found a house I like and know the street very well.

It is on the market for £160,000 so my question is what asking price should I put in?

Is £136,000 too low? (15% off)

The house has been on the market for 6 months with no offers and currently being rented out. It is in a pretty poor condition as a result of the current tenants. The kitchen will be ok, but the carpets and bathroom will need to be replaced and the walls re-painted.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Its worth a try, they can only say no. If you go in too high you can never come down, but you can always go up if a low offer isn't accepted. Good luck honey x

house

dont buy - rent. take it from me - people say rent is a waste of money - its not. it actually gives u the freedom to move when you want. the market is too shaky to buy at the minute

Its hard to know where to go. It depends on how much they are willing to take, how much you can afford to spend and how much you want it!
The thing I didnt want to do is offend someone to the point that they dont wanna compromise with you! We had an offer on our house the day we put it on the market and it was 10% off the asking price and I was really put out lol, obviously we rejected the offer, then 5 weeks later and we've just sold our house for the full asking price (they didnt even put a lesser offer in, came straight in at the asking price) now we've just had our offer accepted on a new house (well new to us) and we only got 2% off the asking price, depsite some haggling lol!
How did it go? did you get your offer accepted? x

dont buy - rent. take it from me - people say rent is a waste of money - its not. it actually gives u the freedom to move when you want. the market is too shaky to buy at the minute

Everyones entitled to an opinion, but you and I dont share the same one.
The OP wasn't asking for advice on whether to buy or not, but about the amount to open the bidding as it were!

Told the estate agent was thinking around the £135,000 mark and haven't heard back! The property has now disappeared from rightmove etc grrrr...now I understand why this is supposed to be the most stressful time of your life!

It sure is stressful!! Ah, keep looking, something will come up. (Have you clicked the 'show under offer/stc' box on rightmove? Cos I thought ours had been removed, but it was in a different section cos we'd accepted the offer! So maybes someones beat you to it xx

Back