C25K beginners - struggle with W1D1

Welcome Hannah and well done everyone! I have had ten days off to rest sore knee and due to do week 9 day 1 today - 30 mins. No idea if I can do it. I have been cycling but .... I will try! I doubt my knee will let me carry on with the long runs but I would love to complete the course having got this far!! I will let you know ;-)

You have done so well but do look after that knee. :)

Had a go at week 9 day 1 but didn't quite do it ;-( The back of my knees were moaning at me! I did most of it and I feel good now - but I am going to declare myself finished with the training before pride damages my knees~! lol
I am amazed I can now run for 20 mins, I can run 2 miles - it's brilliant and I am going to keep chipping away with some shorter runs and do some of the earlier weeks just for fun and fitness. They were not so hard on my knees.
Those just starting, this is an amazing programme, keep at it and I hope you get to complete! (and it really helped my weight loss)

tracy x

Well up at 7 baby fed and dressed and handed over to grandma so I could do W3 D1. Lovely morning running to the beach. Didn't think I'd manage to run 3 minutes in a row but I did it all :) very pleased, last 30 seconds was a killer but felt good to have achieved it. . ...

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

well done Less_of_me, thats brilliant! I start W3 on Friday, but nervous but I feel confident I can do it!

Well done Woodland girl! I bet that feels great knowing you can run for so long, seems like an age away from me yet!

Had a go at week 9 day 1 but didn't quite do it ;-( The back of my knees were moaning at me! I did most of it and I feel good now - but I am going to declare myself finished with the training before pride damages my knees~! lol
I am amazed I can now run for 20 mins, I can run 2 miles - it's brilliant and I am going to keep chipping away with some shorter runs and do some of the earlier weeks just for fun and fitness. They were not so hard on my knees.
Those just starting, this is an amazing programme, keep at it and I hope you get to complete! (and it really helped my weight loss)

tracy x

What a very wise lady you are! It can't be easy to let go when you're so near the end but much better to be uninjured and able to "chip away" as you put it. I hope I will be as sensible when my niggles inevitably turn into problems. At the moment I am fantasising about 10k's, half-marathons.... Midlife crisis methinks! xx

You have done so well Woodland girl. You should be really proud of yourself. :)

I did another week 4 yesterday. I am doing another week 4 today, then I will have a rest 2moro, then start week 5! Hopefully I should then be back on track.

Wildtrapeze
Thanks, it's strange how you can achieve it jumping from 1.5 mins to 3. The plan must work :)

Thanks guys, it was a really tough decision! But, will keep running and enjoying it rather than slightly too much and hating it.
Keep on everyone you are allll doing so well
X

Outdoors today - did 2nd run for the 2 8 min segments on Week 5. Was cold but sun came out. Went along a track up by the church which took me right out into farmland - the first 8 min run ended up just lovely - felt I could go forever. The second was coming back along the track uphill(ish) and was killing. A lot harder work finding my feet along a track than a treadmill! But beautiful morning and gorgeous run. Was too far away from home so then went on to run another 5 minutes (very easy!) to get closer.

I did my final week 4 yesterday. I have started to notice a pain on my left heel. Has anybody any ideas what this might be?
I am going to start week 5 today. :)

I don't know about the heel Shazza, have you googled it or looked on running sites? Are you wearing well fitted running shoes??

Did Day1 Week 2 today and felt I could have done more. :)

Pleased with my progress and coping with doing the shred at the same time, so far!!

Have a great day all! x

Ok, I've been reading this thread all week and feeling guilty becasue I downloaded the C25K app for my touch ages ago and hadn't done anything with it!

I did W1D1 today, it was really difficult and I was tempted to stop running so many times but I made it through all of the 1min running sections and made it back to the house in one piece (just!). So now onto W1D2 on Monday!

HannahNewton said:
I don't know about the heel Shazza, have you googled it or looked on running sites? Are you wearing well fitted running shoes??

Did Day1 Week 2 today and felt I could have done more. :)

Pleased with my progress and coping with doing the shred at the same time, so far!!

Have a great day all! x

I took your advice and looked it up on google. It seems it is quite common. They give many reasons for the pain, mainly wrong type of shoe or uneven running surface. I have a feeling my shoes are not quite suitable. I do have ankle supports, so might try wearing them again to see if it helps.
Well done on the shred :)

Well done Sleepy59!!! :)

Did W3D1 today, and I thought I was really struggling. Felt like such a leap from W2, I was devastated that I didn't manage to do my last 3 minute run.
Until I got home that is......and realised that I had infact done the D1 twice! I got confused by the instructions. It said do two repetitions, I did 2 repetitions TWICE, so I actually did over the time and distance! I was chuffed! No wonder I bleedin' struggled though hey! lol

How is everyone else doing?

Has everyone else got the app? I haven't downloaded it yet I keep meaning to get round to it but I wont bother if its not worth it?

Wild trapeze
I've got the app, it's easy to follow. At least with the app you wouldn't get confused :)
Well done.

W3 d2 completed. Harder than D1 but might have something to do with the force gale wind in my face on 1st 3 minute and that my jogging bottoms wouldn't stay up as I haven't worn these one since I began to lose weight. Anyway it's done one more day to go.

I've been sorta following c25k, but I'm not doing the 3 sessions in a week, probably getting one session per week between everything else. Think it suits me better this way because running is kinda hard on my knees at the weight I am.

I forgot to write up my plan this morning for the treadmill, would have been doing w1d3:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Instead I did 3 minute warm up, 60:60 walk:run at 5.0 for walking and 8 for jogging for 16 minutes.. So I'm happy enough with that :)

Well done everyone!!

I do sympathise with the niggly knees, my back feels a bit tight since starting the C25K & Shred.

My sock slipped today so my trainers rubbed my heel into a bleeding blister :(

My race for life is 6th June so need to step the training up a bit!!

Started week 3 today and coped fine, so will skip ahead to try a week 4 run next time. Aiming to have a rest day tomorrow to heal my foot and give my back a chance to loosen up.

Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine. xx

Has everyone else got the app? I haven't downloaded it yet I keep meaning to get round to it but I wont bother if its not worth it?

I've got the C25K app that is a green circle with a running man in it. I think it is really good. You set up your own playlist so there is music that you like and it has a built in gps so that when you finish you can see where you have been. It also has a journal section so you can record how you thought the run went and anything else you want to record.

My sock slipped today so my trainers rubbed my heel into a bleeding blister :(

My race for life is 6th June so need to step the training up a bit!!

Ouch, I know how painful blisters can be (I have just got over a foot infection which caused blisters over the ball of my right foot and under/between my toes). The Savlon blister plasters are good if you need to cover it with something.

I'm debating whether to sign up for the Race for Life at the moment. There is one in 9 weeks that I could do so I should have finished the C25K plan by then.

Having said that I managed to do W1 D1 again today. I think I must have accidently knocked the slider as I tapped ok as I know I did have the slider on W1 D2 when I turned it on. Never mind, the run was better today and I managed the 1 minutes walks alot better than I did on Saturday. The only run I had trouble with was the last one. I got through that by saying I can run to the next lampost, when I got there I said I could run to the next one and in fact my run ended before I got there and I walked past it.

So next run, which will be W1 D2 on Friday.

Back