C25K beginners - struggle with W1D1

Just so you know, it really does get easier!
It was only 4 weeks ago that I was a couch potato and today I actually ran for 8 whole minutes! That was after a weeks break from running and in new trainers (big mistake. But that's another story. Lol!)
Any way. You'll both be fine. Don't worry.

Just completed w2 d3, very pleased with myself as i have always given up before now, also been ill this week but was determined to complete it. Thinking of doing c25k monday, wednesday, friday, weights(only light ones) tuesday, thursday and saturday and cycling on sunday. I do cycle to work every day which is about 7 miles in total. Does this sound ok? or should i not leave a 2 day gap from finishing one week to starting the next?
Good luck with w2 d3 today Boggins, what days do you do c25k or do just fit in it when you can? Really want to stick at this this time and so any advice is much appreciated :)

Congratulations- another hurdle successfully jumped!

I tend to do C25k every other day, so the days change each week.

I did wk2 day3 yesterday, and even threw in a 2 minute run to see if I could do it (I can!) but I'm still TERRIFIED of that 3 minute run next week! Thanks Fiona for the encouragement- I intend to come back here and post that I did it! I suspect my "running" will be more like a bouncy walk, though! :D

Thxs Fiona for the encouragement and you to Boggins i think i might follow you and do c25k every other day, might make me stick to it more. As i am using a treadmill weather conditions dont concern me. The 3 min jog is frightening me, i did scroll through the app on my phone but it was more scary than looking in the mirror after
a night out.
Fiona after a week off did you just carry on where u had left off or did u repeat any days?

Welcome Abigail's Mummy good luck with starting c25k :)

NeedsMotivation said:
Thxs Fiona for the encouragement and you to Boggins i think i might follow you and do c25k every other day, might make me stick to it more. As i am using a treadmill weather conditions dont concern me. The 3 min jog is frightening me, i did scroll through the app on my phone but it was more scary than looking in the mirror after
a night out.
Fiona after a week off did you just carry on where u had left off or did u repeat any days?

Welcome Abigail's Mummy good luck with starting c25k :)

I was going to repeat a day and then I thought, just give it a go. It went ok and I felt great knowing that I could still do it after a week off. I have repeated days though, so don't worry if that's what you want to do. As look as it keeps you moving, whatever works, right?

The 3 min jog is frightening me, i did scroll through the app on my phone but it was more scary than looking in the mirror after
a night out.
Ha! :D
I had a sneaky listen and heard Laura saying "it's important to keep going no matter how much pain you're in." :eek::cry:

I've had 2 days off this week, as I went for a loooong tiring walk yesterday which was punishing on the legs.

With two days distance I'm a bit more optimistic about that 3 minute run now, because I can't remember how difficult the 2 minute run was! :D

I also came across a forum of people talking about C25k and a number of them went off-plan, or repeated days, and in one case got to week 3 and started from the beginning again! It's not a race, I have to remember that, and it's not a punishment either! PMA- positive mental attitude! :)

I have wimped out so far with w3, i really should have started it today but went for a 36 mile cycle yesterday and got abit sunburnt and still felt drained today, so am gonna try it tomorrow and if i dont manage to finish all of it i will repeat w2 and try again.

Good luck boggins and well done Fiona on managing to take a week off and jump right back into it. Do either of you use a treadmill or do you run outside? Just wondering what sort of speeds people use on a treadmill

I run outside. No idea how fast I'm going...well, how slow! :) I overtake walkers, but other joggers fly past me!

I think you are all doing great!!
It is quite a challenging program, so just take it at your own pace and listen to your body.
Always appreciate the progress you have made. I am still amazed I completed this program, it doesn't seen that long ago when I struggled to run more than 30 secs! :)

Hi All

I was wondering if I could join in on this thread, I spotted it while browsing! I'm attempting the c25k for the second time. I started in May & made it to the end of week 4 and was actually 'enjoying' it. The first week was awful, but by week 2 I got into the swing of things a bit more, however week 4 was terrible & I couldn't imagine moving to week 5. I then got distracted by weekends away, weddings & hangovers (excuses excuses)....I only meant to take a week off which resulted in 7, oops!! So I jumped back to it last week. I was brave (so I think) & started on week 3 which was ok, although I wasn't as quick as previously. However, I started week 4 last night and OUCH! I managed to finish it and keep jogging, but I think a toddler could of raced past me!!

From reading through the last few posts this seems like a lovely encouraging thread, which is what I need....well especially when I embark on week 5, run 3 is a 20 minute run, crikey!! Can't see it happening :)

Welcome slimjim and well done with starting w4. Slowly but surely is what i keep getting told. Build stamina/endurance and then speed.
Going to try wk3 today and see if i can complete it without needing an oxygen cylinder :)

NeedsMotivation said:
I have wimped out so far with w3, i really should have started it today but went for a 36 mile cycle yesterday and got abit sunburnt and still felt drained today, so am gonna try it tomorrow and if i dont manage to finish all of it i will repeat w2 and try again.

Good luck boggins and well done Fiona on managing to take a week off and jump right back into it. Do either of you use a treadmill or do you run outside? Just wondering what sort of speeds people use on a treadmill

I also run outside. It's quite pleasant although I have to walk quite far to get where I don't mind being seen running, if that makes sense? I run along a river promenade so quite nice.

Well that was unexpected.

I just went out and did week 3 day 1. I jogged the first 3 minute run reeeaaally slowly, about as slow as you can get without it just being walking. And I made it! As soon as I heard the voice in my earphone tell me to slow down, I burst into tears in the middle of the park! :eek:

Now I know it'll be TOTM very soon, but I wasn't expecting that reaction!

Ran the second 3 minutes at a more normal pace. Bit harder on the calves but not horrendously out of breath.

You were right fionat, no problem at all! :D
Believe me, if I can do three minutes you can do 10!

NeedsMotivation said:
Going to try wk3 today and see if i can complete it without needing an oxygen cylinder :)

Ha ha I know the feeling :D

Fionat29 said:
I also run outside. It's quite pleasant although I have to walk quite far to get where I don't mind being seen running, if that makes sense?.

Complete sense, I don't like to go out anytime after about 11am or before 9pm because of the amount of people about! Who knows by the end of week 9 we'll be running with pride!!!

It would be nice wouldn't it! Did my second run of week 4 this morning, all good apart from my jelly legs...ouch! I have no idea how I'll manage with week 5, but I'm determined to do it :)

Did W5 D3 today. Trainers still not worn in so another blister, it's a good job I'm only managing 1 run a week. Lol! It gives my blisters time to heal ( heel geddit? Lmao)

Just found this thread and have nipped in to join. I've just done Wk2 D2. :)

Finding it challenging, I drag my other half to come with me and we go round the block a few times......unfortunately there are quite a few hills involved and it makes it a bit tougher :cry:. As we move up to the longer runs I think we might go to the local park for a bit more of an even run about.
Well done to everyone so far......this is a great place for support x

I am considering the ridiculous idea of me doing this. Does it really only take 9 weeks? I am really unfit and feel like I could probably only run for 10 seconds! Haha, I might dig out my trainers and have a go tomorrow. Where do you download the podcast?

Back