C25K beginners - struggle with W1D1

Ummm...I just didn't finish Wk 6 day 1, because I GOT BITTEN BY A DOG!!!! :(

Not badly; there's a bruise and a red scrape, but no blood. Wasn't even a big dog, but it was a real shock. Just jogging away and this terrier leapt up and bit at my thigh! Owner swatted him away but he came back for another go, thankfully only getting my clothes that time.

I had to stop, obviously, and then I was just a bit shaken for a while, had a bit of a cry on a park bench (felt like an idiot for crying). Managed another 5 minutes and then gave up. :cry:

Dog spit on my jogging pants. :mad:

Its no wonder you have to stop, I would have been exactly the same. Great advice from the others about the vaccination too & I agree with Kron about reporting it.

There are a lot of dogs & dog walkers where I run to & I cant believe how stupid/ignorant some of them are. A month or so back I was running & this slobbery looking dog came running towards me its owner about 10 metres back. I shooed it away (coz I didnt want it to slobber on me) & the owner had a go at me coz the poor dog only wanted a pat!!! :eek: Needless to say the owner had a piece of my mind!!!

I'm glad youre ok though & hope the yucky dog spit didnt ruin youre trackies. Oh & I nearly forgot to say how well you are doing!!!! I remeber you starting :D

Eeeek! Not good about dog bite! I agree, definitely check out the jab situation and consider reporting the dog. Perhaps it was out of character for the dog, but equally possible is the dog is likely to bite again... and your thigh height is kiddie face height :( I hope your next run is more enjoyable xxx

Oh dear Boggins, hope you get to the GP ASAP. What a shock that must have been for you. I have had a yucky big dog slobber saliva over my joggers before -absolutely disgusting, yeuckhhh! But to have been bitten - how terrible :(
Hope you have recovered.

Yep boggins, you definitely need a tetanus jab....I don't know how old you are but as said before they last 10 years & unless you've been on hols somewhere exotic the chances are your last jab was when you were 14 or 15, so if you're 24+ get yourself to the GP/A&E....and it might sound silly but make sure they log on your notes why you're getting it just in case it happens again.

With regards to the dog owner.....where the hell was he/she.....especially when you were distressed on a bench crying.....definitely not on. I love dogs, but if you're going to keep one as a pet you have to be able to keep them under control....if the dog reacts like that to joggers it should be on a lead or the owner should keep a hold of it while you pass & if the owner is not willing to take on that responsibility the police need to get involved.

Hope it hasn't put you off & you keep on running the same route :)

Oh and trainers need renewing quite often as you compress the bounce out of them I forget how often but three months rings bells!

Thanks for all the well-wishes! I had a tetanus jab a few years back when I went travelling in Asia, so that's covered. Called the GP, she said as long as it's kept clean it should be fine. It's mostly bruises, just a couple of small scabs, and not sore, so everything's fine. Although the night afterwards I woke up in a blind panic convinced I had rabies! What a numpty. (Came back from Asia dead tired, woke up that night in a blind panic convinced I had malaria. Got half way to the hospital before thinking it might just be jetlag, particularly since I had been taking anti-malarials. This kind of idiocy is quite normal for me)

RE: aches and pains. Boobs. They've started up. I wore two bras today and they still hurt. I think I need a smaller sports bra already. Which is a pain because at my size they are flaming expensive.

Anyway, enough of my prattle- updates from everyone please! Did you get the hip sorted, Fiona?

Not yet, having some enforced rest from running because of work so I'll have to see how it is when I start again. No pain at all in my hip at the mo, but I was saying on another thread that I seem to be getting all sorts of other aches and pains since I've NOT been doing any proper cardio for a few days. Very strange.

Glad u got everything sorted and are well boggins, maybe they should do steel toe capped running shoes just for when u meet a dog so u can kick it's owner for not having it under control.

Finally got my phone replaced ( mine fell in the toilet while trying to stop the cat climbing in ) so back to c25k tomorrow, gonna start from the beginning again but do wk1 without rest days then move onto wk2. Should I be ok doing that?

Happy jogging/walking/running everyone

Well I am pleased to post that I have completed C25k this evening & actually went for a longer run to finish the programme off (& also see if I am ready for B210k) I managed a 45 minute run & although I was dripping by the end of it I really enjoyed it & am looking forward to the next challenge :D

Good luck to all of you & I'm looking forward to readiing about your progress

boggins said:
Thanks for all the well-wishes! I had a tetanus jab a few years back when I went travelling in Asia, so that's covered. Called the GP, she said as long as it's kept clean it should be fine. It's mostly bruises, just a couple of small scabs, and not sore, so everything's fine. Although the night afterwards I woke up in a blind panic convinced I had rabies! What a numpty. (Came back from Asia dead tired, woke up that night in a blind panic convinced I had malaria. Got half way to the hospital before thinking it might just be jetlag, particularly since I had been taking anti-malarials. This kind of idiocy is quite normal for me)

RE: aches and pains. Boobs. They've started up. I wore two bras today and they still hurt. I think I need a smaller sports bra already. Which is a pain because at my size they are flaming expensive.

Anyway, enough of my prattle- updates from everyone please! Did you get the hip sorted, Fiona?

I know that feeling re sports bras! I get the enell one from Lessbounce.com as I use them for the theatre shows too-but mine were so big that I may as well not have had one on!!! I bought a new one 2 sizes smaller-for £45!!! And already after about 4 weeks its getting looser! Which obviously is good in the grand scheme of things, but not financially x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

NeedsMotivation said:
Glad u got everything sorted and are well boggins, maybe they should do steel toe capped running shoes just for when u meet a dog so u can kick it's owner for not having it under control.

Finally got my phone replaced ( mine fell in the toilet while trying to stop the cat climbing in ) so back to c25k tomorrow, gonna start from the beginning again but do wk1 without rest days then move onto wk2. Should I be ok doing that?

You should be fine, aslong as you have atleast 2 rest days a week-I'm doing exactly the same-I'm on my second time thru the whole program and am doing each week over 5 days and then carrying on :) x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

NeedsMotivation said:

When I started C25K it was hard but by the second week it was much easier so I ended up doing one day then a 10 minute rest, then another day, both on the same day. In that way I was doing 2 weeks in 1. Mind you, that all stopped once I got to the 5 and 10 minute runs in week 5. Lol!!

Hi hope ye don't mind me joining in. I started W1 last week and tonight completed W2D1. I really noticed the extra 30 seconds but was delighted with myself when I finished it. I know I have 2 more days to complete W2 but I'm already starting to wonder if I'll be able to run for 3 mins in W3. It just seems like a huge jump.

LouQ said:
Hi hope ye don't mind me joining in. I started W1 last week and tonight completed W2D1. I really noticed the extra 30 seconds but was delighted with myself when I finished it. I know I have 2 more days to complete W2 but I'm already starting to wonder if I'll be able to run for 3 mins in W3. It just seems like a huge jump.

Well done, I'm doing wk3 d3 tomorrow and have just done wk2 d2 with my bf this evening! It's getting a bit confusing lol x

Congratulations sweet pink! 45 minutes- wow! :girlpower:

tigger I wear the Enell from lessbounce too. Fine to begin with, now too big. Another £44 to shell out. :rolleyes: However I did put it in the wash with something green and now it's a rather nasty shiny lime colour, so maybe a new one is a good idea!

boggins said:
Congratulations sweet pink! 45 minutes- wow! :girlpower:

tigger I wear the Enell from lessbounce too. Fine to begin with, now too big. Another £44 to shell out. :rolleyes: However I did put it in the wash with something green and now it's a rather nasty shiny lime colour, so maybe a new one is a good idea!

I wanted the scarlet one but they didnt have then and desperately needed a new one so ended up getting it in the 'flesh/beige' colour! I do think they are brilliant tho x

Back