C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Well done for finishing programme and going even further. Fingers crossed I will finish it soon and will then just look to run 5k in however long it takes as no where near it at moment.

week 2 day 1 done today found it a little hard going need to start running slower.

I was in same position halfway in. Definitely slow down - personally I found running outside better as I seemed to naturally adjust my pace whereas on treadmill I was reluctant to reduce the pace

Totally gutted!!!!! Started on my very last run and 5 mins in I twisted over on my ankle. Ankle up like a baloon so can't finish programme until its gone down (not broken). I can't believe it's happened as I was so close. Not sure when I start back i should go back a week - any suggestions gratefully received.
Oh no! I guarantee you will miss running with a passion, I know I did when I was forced to stop!! But don't be tempted to literally run before you can walk because all you will do is prolong the injury and your recovery time. Remember "RICE" - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation and I hope it isn't anything too serious.

I'd got to week 7 before my hip forced me to stop for a couple of weeks. I went back to week 5 to re-commence because it was more walk/run, walk/run and I thought it would be better to ease myself in again that way....

Oh no! I guarantee you will miss running with a passion, I know I did when I was forced to stop!! But don't be tempted to literally run before you can walk because all you will do is prolong the injury and your recovery time. Remember "RICE" - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation and I hope it isn't anything too serious.

I'd got to week 7 before my hip forced me to stop for a couple of weeks. I went back to week 5 to re-commence because it was more walk/run, walk/run and I thought it would be better to ease myself in again that way....

Am actually desperate to get back to it. Ankle still swollen but fingers crossed will be back out in a weeks time. Thanks for the advice i think i will go back and then rebuild. How's your hip holding up?

I was in same position halfway in. Definitely slow down - personally I found running outside better as I seemed to naturally adjust my pace whereas on treadmill I was reluctant to reduce the pace

I am trying to slow down my pace is 7.4 . Week 2 done and ran uphill on my last run and made it so happy.

Last edited:
Well it was kill or cure but I completed the programme today. Did the 30 min run albeit very slowly. Ankle still swollen but strapped and doesnt seem to be any worse for it. For all those thinking of doing the programme or struggling - If I can do it anybody can. Going to increase speed and work towards running 5k now.Hopefully weight loss will start to improve now I'm back running!

good luck all

Congratulations on your "gradulation" Zigmaster.... it feels weird to go out running and just pick how far you go, after being governed for so long by C25K. I've done 5k 3 times now in the past week and a half... Sunday I had a bum run and just managed 3.5km, but I know sometimes we have "off" days so I just put it behind me and ran afresh on Tuesday... and did 5.5km.

I've now just committed to the "Move a Mile for 30 Days" challenge - I figured that by running a mile every day, I'll still be doing 7 miles a week and broken down into a "small" distance, I can work on upping my pace. This morning I did a good time and now I have myself to beat tomorrow!!!

Thanks Jane.

You are doing do well running 5.5k!

My next aim is to build up to actually run 5K as I am nowhere near it at the moment. Not sure whether to still run with c25k for 30 mins and build up my speed for a bit or use running app to do 5k first ( probably take me an hour!!!) and then try to improve my time if you see what I mean - any advice on this welcome!

I would head fit doing 5k then your body will naturally get more economic and increase your speed over shorter distance. Hope that makes sense

Thanks - will work towards 5k. Did you find running helped with your weight loss as the difference in the photos is truly amazing?

hi all. This is my third time :eek: doing C25K, I've always completed it but never kept running enough to make it a regular thing in my life. This time I want to finally become a proper runner. I walked a half marathon a few weeks ago and felt so inspired by all the runners some of whom weren't doing any this time last year so if they can do it so can I.

I'm doing a slightly different version of C25K, its an 8 week plan rather than 9 but follows most of the same format. Going out tomorrow and feeling nervous but looking forward to sharing the experience. Good luck everyone.

I've surprised myself by becoming a complete convert to running! To the point that I am much more aware of keeping my legs, ankles and feet safe so that I don't injure myself and have to stop!! I am even contemplating joining the local gym so that I will be able to use a treadmill over winter when the weather is cold, wet and windy and I don't fancy running outdoors.

Hi guys :)

I started my first day of C25K

I couldn't run every minute but I kept it up with walking (very fast) but i ran more today than I ever have done in my life!

Is there anyone else like me whose larger than life and running? Would like to hear from you to see whether you were ok running at our weights.

Rozie x

Well done for starting, Roziee.... You may need to be careful of your knees in the early stages - running on grass is a softer option until your body adjusts. I've found that running was brilliant at helping with my weight loss so do stick with it. If you struggle with the programme, repeat the week until you feel comfortable. It's normal to find it hard or difficult - just console yourself with knowing that YOU are making the effort and not sitting at home on the couch. I've been running since May and still find it hard going, especially the first five minutes - I always think "Oh God, I'm going to have to stop today...." and then suddenly I've kind of run through it. I have Endomondo on my phone which tells me the distance and speed I've gone. Sometimes I can come home and feel I've run miserably, then check my stats online to find I've actually run a faster time than normal and that really cheers me up!

All runners have bum runs too.... expect them, don't think "I'm rubbish at this" just accept that we all have the occasional off day and that the next time will be better.

The programme does work if you stick with it. You can download podcasts so that you have a "personal trainer" in your ear telling you when to walk and when to run too....

Think I will start C25K again :) have a treadmill at home so use that whilst watching TV (then I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything and it takes my mind off it lol) Only got to Day 1 of week 4 last time. It felt like such a big jump between 3 and 4!! But am going to do a sponsored 14mile walk in March 2014 for Royal Marsden and even though I won't be running it, I'm sure it'll help improve my overall stamina! Will aim to complete Week 1 Day 1 tomorrow!

However on a treadmill I tend to walk at about 5-6kph for the *walk* part and then *jog/run* at between 8-10kph. Is this about right?

I'm not sure of the ''correct'' way to jog eg warm up, stretches, body position.... so any advice is appreciated :D

I started C25K, i'm on week 3 day 2 now......it's hard as i'm no runner but needs must!! lol

I walk at 6km and run at 8.5km bugsbunny so I would say what you do is about right, I try and do the same every time and then hopefully I can improve on it as time goes on, running 3 mins in week 3 is so hard i'm almost scared to look what week 4 is....!!

Aww thanks! See I LOVED week 3! 3 mins was just about enough....! But week 4 you do two 5 min runs too!! Eek!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Did my first run of Week 1 last night, its my first time doing any exercise in nearly a month and I have to say it felt great to be out and about. I've picked up an injury so any kind of heavy exercise is out, so took it slow, was as light on my feet as I could and got through it okay. I did a proper warm up too which helped. Good luck to everyone starting!

Thanks - will work towards 5k. Did you find running helped with your weight loss as the difference in the photos is truly amazing?

Thank you and yes I think it not only helped with weight loss but also with minimising any loose skin as I have considerably little considering the loss and that I have been overweight most if my life

Back