C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Well done for starting, Roziee.... You may need to be careful of your knees in the early stages - running on grass is a softer option until your body adjusts. I've found that running was brilliant at helping with my weight loss so do stick with it. If you struggle with the programme, repeat the week until you feel comfortable. It's normal to find it hard or difficult - just console yourself with knowing that YOU are making the effort and not sitting at home on the couch. I've been running since May and still find it hard going, especially the first five minutes - I always think "Oh God, I'm going to have to stop today...." and then suddenly I've kind of run through it. I have Endomondo on my phone which tells me the distance and speed I've gone. Sometimes I can come home and feel I've run miserably, then check my stats online to find I've actually run a faster time than normal and that really cheers me up!

All runners have bum runs too.... expect them, don't think "I'm rubbish at this" just accept that we all have the occasional off day and that the next time will be better.

The programme does work if you stick with it. You can download podcasts so that you have a "personal trainer" in your ear telling you when to walk and when to run too....

Hi Domane,

i have a treadmill at home so i'll be running indoor not out. I dont want to imagine what i look like when i run, nevermind having anyone see me!

my 2nd day is tomorrow- will see how i get on x

Well I have finally done It - Got up really early and completed a 5k run (only walked approx 200m up
very steep hill). Delighted!!

Well I have finally done It - Got up really early and completed a 5k run (only walked approx 200m up
very steep hill). Delighted!!
Congratulations!! :D Fantastic feeling isn't it. Now you are as free as a bird to run under your own steam without the constraints of the C25K "rules"..... it's like passing your driving test and being allowed out on your own!!!

Hi y'all.

I started C25K at week 2, three and a bit weeks ago. I was able to run for about 15 minutes on a treadmill but have always struggled in the outdoors as it is so much harder. I am now on to D2 of Wk5 and managed 2 x 8 mins tonight. I am trying not to take too much notice of what is coming because I don't want it to put me off. That said, the program is broken down into achievable chunks. During weeks 2 and 3 I really struggled but since starting week 4 I feel as though my body is starting to get into a rhythm.

Although I still find the first few minutes hard going and my calves and achilles ache like hell, I am amazed at my progress. When I first attempted to run, I couldn't run on the treadmill for more than 30 seconds so I am absolutely delighted to be able to run non-stop for 2 x 8 mins (even if I could walk the distance quicker than I am running!).

I will be interested to see how everyone else is getting on.

Week 1 completed :)

Just finished Day 3!

How are you feeling Roziee?

My husband has also just finished day 3 of week 1. He needs to lose about 3.5 stone so he is quite overweight and although he is pretty knackered after each run, he is really enjoying it.

I am just wondering how you are feeling as you are at the same stage.

How are you feeling Roziee?

My husband has also just finished day 3 of week 1. He needs to lose about 3.5 stone so he is quite overweight and although he is pretty knackered after each run, he is really enjoying it.

I am just wondering how you are feeling as you are at the same stage.

Hi Maria-

I ran more than I did on the first two days. I have 7 to lose to twice as much as your hubby lol

But I'm ok- I don't run fast- but I do run (for my standards anyway haha) and I'm sweating by the end of it...

Will be nice to see the progress of running more. Never ran in my life- not even for the ice cream van!

Well done to your husband for finishing the first week x

I am going to start this tomorrow after work.

I am slightly embarrsed though about running in public...

Hi Law Ram

Don't be embarrassed. I tried to get running about a year ago and started off in my local gym's "cardio room" where it was dark and the music is so loud no-one could hear my gasping! I couldn't even run for 30 seconds then. I got fed up feeling like a mole in a dark hole and dared to run in the mainstream gym and I quickly realised no-one was taking the blindest bit of notice of me. I wasn't really advancing much on the treadmill and I stopped for a couple of months.

About a month ago, I decided to start again on the roads (which I think is 10 times harder) and like you, I decided to brave the great outdoors.

I can honestly say, no-one takes any notice of yet another runner struggling along the road (me that is). It really builds up your confidence facing people. When I started, I felt embarrassed too, not least because I have a very large chest! I would stop running when I saw another pedestrian heading my way. I now keep running, even if it kills me and smile and say hello as I pass. Cars pass you by in such a flash that they will hardly even register you being there.

People will admire you for getting out there, just arm yourself with a good sports bra! (assuming you are a girl that is!)

Keep at it and good luck.

Hi everyone I'm starting this today! I just got a treadmill as I'm really too anxious to run in public at the moment. I'm kinda excited to get started but I'm nervous. I haven't run for ages!

You will get there Roziee.
I'm no runner either. I am asthmatic and 2st overweight but despite that I have not given up on any of the sessions and I am up to Wk 6 now. I won't pretend it has been easy but like you, I don't run fast either. In fact I think I can walk quicker than I am currently running but it's all about building up stamina. I've noticed that I am sweating noticeably less now than when I first started so I must be getting fitter (or the weather is getting colder!).
Have you started Wk 2 yet? How are you getting on?
x

Hi everyone I'm starting this today! I just got a treadmill as I'm really too anxious to run in public at the moment. I'm kinda excited to get started but I'm nervous. I haven't run for ages!

Good luck MartianMallow. Hope you get the running bug!

You will get there Roziee.
I'm no runner either. I am asthmatic and 2st overweight but despite that I have not given up on any of the sessions and I am up to Wk 6 now. I won't pretend it has been easy but like you, I don't run fast either. In fact I think I can walk quicker than I am currently running but it's all about building up stamina. I've noticed that I am sweating noticeably less now than when I first started so I must be getting fitter (or the weather is getting colder!).
Have you started Wk 2 yet? How are you getting on?
x

Starting week 2 today Maria :) will let you know how I get on in a few hours x

I tried C25K in July but had to take a break early on as I hurt my foot doing something unrelated. I started over with Week 1 yesterday.

Like some of you, I'm embarrassed to run outdoors where I might be seen. But I have to say, if I saw a bigger person out running my only thought would be that he or she is an inspiration - I certainly wouldn't think anything bad at all! I've been doing C25K in my basement. It worked well in the summer because it's nice and cool down there but I'll be honest, that's not the only reason. I also like the privacy of it. I don't have a treadmill so I just jog in place. That said, I'm hoping to eventually be brave enough to run outside.

Hi C25K buddies :)

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post; I'm new to this forum so I'd like to share my C25K story with you and join in if that's ok!

8 weeks ago I was looking at a photo online and I commented 'who's that really fat one on the left?' I zoomed in and it was me. Something just went 'snap' in my brain. I lost about a stone in 3 weeks on the Cambridge Weight Plan and then had the confidence to start C25K. I've had an orthopaedic problem with my feet (mainly right foot) all my life which has put my knees/hips/etc. out of line so I was a bit nervous about doing this, so I bought a couple of running books and joined Runners' World forum to get some advice before I started.

I've been keeping a journal; here's a very abbreviated version:
Sunday 4th August - 45 minute walk, knackered! Had to stop and rest on the hills.
Tues 6th Aug - Fri 9th Aug - Walking for 1 hr/day on beach on holiday.
Sat 10th Aug to Fri 16th Aug - C25K Week 2 & 3 - running for 3 minutes nearly killed me the first time!
Sat 17th Aug - First 5k walk/run with local 'Parkrun' in 44:00
Mon 19th Aug am - 40 min walk Devil's Punchbowl - 10 min power walk up a steep hill that took me 30 mins to practically crawl up a few weeks ago!
Mon 19th Aug to 25th Aug - C25K Wk 4 + extra 30 min walk - running for 5 minutes is now becoming easy.
Mon 26th Aug to 28th Aug - C25K Wk 5 + extra 8 mins run, also joined Aquafit at the pool on 'rest' days. Now running 3 x 8 mins with 5 min walk intervals.
Sat 31st Aug - 5k @ Parkrun - slow jogging the whole way - 39:34
Mon 2nd Sept - Body Balance class; 40 min interval training (walk/ fast run) on treadmill; swim 3 lengths.
Tues 3rd Sept - Cycled to QE Park, round beginners' trail and home - approx 8 miles. First time on a bike for years!
Fri 6th Sept - Week 9 of C25K - Full 30 minutes of (slow!) running!!

I did skip a few weeks (6/7/8) as I'd been doing the extra walking/running and the cross-training (swimming/cycling) on 'rest' days and I knew that if I could run 3 x 8 minutes that I could do the whole 30 minutes, albeit slowly. My target in the next 2 weeks is to improve my speed and run a group 5k in 30 minutes; then to up my distances.

5 weeks ago the only time I moved off the sofa was to get to the fridge. All my friends and family laughed when I told them I'd started running, but I've lost 21lbs and I'm running for MIND charity in the Great South Run this October and they're not laughing now :D I've been assessed for the right running shoes and done the physio recommended for the joint problems; the running has strengthened my legs enough that I'm practically pain-free for the first time in my adult life!

I would recommend a book called 'The non-runner's marathon trainer' (even if you don't want to actually run a marathon!) and also a book from 'Zest' magazine called 'Running Made Easy' there's lots of really good tips and mostly mental attitude help in both. And definitely keep a journal, it's great to look back and see how far you've progressed!

I hope no one minds me putting my story here, it's just to say 'If I can do this, ANYONE can!'

Hi Maria-

I ran more than I did on the first two days. I have 7 to lose to twice as much as your hubby lol

But I'm ok- I don't run fast- but I do run (for my standards anyway haha) and I'm sweating by the end of it...

Will be nice to see the progress of running more. Never ran in my life- not even for the ice cream van!

Well done to your husband for finishing the first week x

Well done - keep at it. As I have said on previous posts if I can do it you can do it!! Follow the program but don't be afraid to repeat weeks if necessary and don't worry about your speed. Good luck

How are you all getting on?
I have been on holiday the last two weeks but managed to squeeze in five runs during that time. My last four runs have been for 25 minutes, non-stop. I don't find it easy at all though and I am still jogging at a snail's pace.
I was due to do my first 28 mins run on Tuesday but I couldn't even manage 15 mins - I felt terrible. Next morning I realised I had a really bad cold so hopefully that was to blame. I am just waiting for this cold to clear up before I resume my runs.

Back