C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Great job! I can't wait to get where you are!!!!

I completes week 2 day 1. I won't say anything else because it's too negative haha.

Thanks elm. Keep at it, you will get there. I know everyone says this but if I can do it anyone can. I could not run for 30 seconds not so long ago. As I've said before, I won't pretend I have been comfortable at any of the stages but you do get a fantastic sense of achievement as you get through each one, even when I felt my legs were going to collapse or my lungs were going to burst any minute!

Week two is a step up and you got through it, regardless of how you felt at the time! At the start, I honestly thought it was highly unlikely I would get to a stage where I could run non-stop for 10 minutes, let alone the 20+ that I am doing now. You will be ok as long as you keep going. Let me know how your next run goes.

Morning all!

I just got back from my latest 28 minute run. The start was a bit doddery - ragged breathing (gasping actually) and a bit of an ache in my calves but after a couple of minutes, everything seemed to smooth out and even the pain in my calves went.

I had a bit of a breakthrough today - it is only the second time I have run this week and only the second time I have run for 28 minutes and you won't believe this but it is DEFINITELY GETTING EASIER. I know it is because I am usually desperate to hear "5 mintues gone"/"you're half way through" or "just a minute left" and today I was totally surprised when I heard the announcements.

So keep on going everyone. I am astonished I have made it this far but I did it by sticking to the podcasts and not over-doing it, even when I felt I could do more (and there were plenty of times when I felt like I couldn't get through it).

I am doing the NHS podcasts by the way, which are great and are free to download.

Wow nicely done on the 28 minutes!

Wow nicely done on the 28 minutes!

Thanks Elm, how are you getting on? Have you completed day 2 of week 2 yet? Was it as hard as day 1 for you?
Don't worry if it was - I found the early stages of the podcasts the hardest and at every stage up to about week 4 I was convinced I wouldn't be able to do it but you will as long as you don't give up.

I stopped running due to shin splints and didn't want to hurt myself even more until I get new shoes and the compression socks I ordered.

I'm really shocked how quickly you improve, I'm on week 7 and 2 months ago I struggled with 90 seconds. I always do the podcast then run/walk intervals with some sprints till I get to 5k. Can't get the time below 43 mins though :(

I just popped in here to give everyone a bit of hope. I'm 50 and started C25K in May. In July I ran a Race for Life and finally felt like I "graduated" the programme at the beginning of August. Yesterday I ran my first TEN km!!! I NEVER thought I'd be able to finish the programme, let alone go on to run further but I'm afraid I have been reeled in... hook, line and sinker and now ADORE running... especially in the rain!! Bonkers? Quite possibly... but if I can do it, YOU can :)

I just popped in here to give everyone a bit of hope. I'm 50 and started C25K in May. In July I ran a Race for Life and finally felt like I "graduated" the programme at the beginning of August. Yesterday I ran my first TEN km!!! I NEVER thought I'd be able to finish the programme, let alone go on to run further but I'm afraid I have been reeled in... hook, line and sinker and now ADORE running... especially in the rain!! Bonkers? Quite possibly... but if I can do it, YOU can :)

That's good to hear. I am onto week 9 now with just one run to go but I am nowhere near making the 5k mark within 30 mins. I had to use the treadmill yesterday, which told me I covered 3.7km during the 30 mins. I suppose it's just a matter of keeping it going.....

I didn't either it does come with time :)

I suppose that will be the next target - hitting the 5k, however long it takes. I have a Garmin watch which I have not used much so I suppose now is the time to start using it. I didn't want to put myself under any pressure until I had finished the program. I think today is my last run of week 9 the podcast but I daren't try to run without guidance so I have downloaded the next series.....

I'm on week 8, run 2 and I'm completely amazed how quickly I've come along! Noticing real tone in my legs for the first time too. Still takes me 43 mins or so to do the 5k but I know if I push I can get this under 40 soon! I want to start doing some parkruns but don't really want to go on my own!

18 months ago I remember talking to someone and saying my body wouldn't take running as I'm hypermobile and have a dodgy disc but how wrong I was!

Had to revert to the treadmill recently as it's too dark n wet for me! Managing 7.5kph pace for 28 mins is ok by me!

10k next :)

I'm on week 8, run 2 and I'm completely amazed how quickly I've come along! Noticing real tone in my legs for the first time too. Still takes me 43 mins or so to do the 5k but I know if I push I can get this under 40 soon! I want to start doing some parkruns but don't really want to go on my own!

18 months ago I remember talking to someone and saying my body wouldn't take running as I'm hypermobile and have a dodgy disc but how wrong I was!

Had to revert to the treadmill recently as it's too dark n wet for me! Managing 7.5kph pace for 28 mins is ok by me!

10k next :)

Hi Jeniferous, what do you do for the remainder of the 5k (i.e. between the 28 mins and 40 odd mins), do you walk it or do you try to do some more running?

Your pace is better than mine. I had to revert to the treadmill for the same reasons and have been running at between 7.2kph and 7.3kph. Do you have the treadmill set at an incline at all? I was told that an incline of 1 is supposed to simulate road running conditions but I found it too hard and settled on 0.5.

I noticed the leg improvements too. Great hey?

A mixture of walk and run, I try to alternate 1 minute of each but the run at 8 or 9 so I much quicker intervals!

Meant to run tonight but I did a kettlebll class last night and to put it politely my bum hurts!

A mixture of walk and run, I try to alternate 1 minute of each but the run at 8 or 9 so I much quicker intervals!

Meant to run tonight but I did a kettlebll class last night and to put it politely my bum hurts!

LOL!! Sore bum and running do not go together at all.
I was supposed to run yesterday but my i-pod decided to ditch all my podcasts after an update. By the time I had reinstalled it, my lunch break was over - so annoying. I will do it tomorrow (in daylight) instead.

I start week 3 on Tuesday and knowing how much I have to run scares me a bit lol

Completed W1D1 (well I walked 2 mins rather then ran as it was uphill) gonna do it again tomorrow but all 8 runs! Anyone else find you are your own worst enemy? If I had someone telling me I had to run I would, but it's too easy to walk :/

Believe me when you get to 5 mins your motivation will boost, then 20 mins and you'll be buzzing! Well done on your start!

I'm a bit stuck at week 8.. Suffering with cramps legs and realising how much an impact the fuel I put in makes or breaks a run!

Hello,

I've just been looking over the last few pages of this as motivation!

I started C25K a couple of months back, but binned it at week 5, going back to my own style of unstructured walk, jog run regime as I just was not achieving the runs - often because of the gradients around where I live. However I did a parkrun in 30 mins (again a mix of running and walking), I met some lovely people towards the end who were trying to spur me on and encouraging me to take smaller, slower running steps but to keep on running. My normal running speed is quite fast with long strides (due long legs!!!) but I really struggle to keep it up. So over the past week or so I've been trying to keep myself running/jogging on my tired legs at a slower speed.

I'm hoping therefore I can pick up C25K with this new mindset & hopefully some motivation from here! Will head out tomorrow and see where I get!

Back