C25K .... Overture and beginners please!

Well I joined my local running club for a 6k tonight. Really held up the group but they didnt seem to mind doubling back. Really having trouble with breathing since it's got colder, gp reckons it's a resurfacing of asthma I had 9 or so years ago but the inhaler didn't help tonight...

Good on you for joining a club. I am too nervous at the moment.
I have asthma and I find that the brown inhalers stop any inflammation starting and a couple of puffs of the blue one before I set out usually keeps the wheezing at bay for most of the run.

W2D1 done! Felt liek the easiest yet which I guess just shows I am getting fitter.:)

Well done everyone, keep it up!!

W3D2 done, ran 3.15 on second leg of the work out and added a 2 min at the end. Hoping for a 3.30 on next session and then I will try for W4!

I'm going to mark my place on this thread - I did the Bath half last year and now can barely run a mile! It's amazing how quickly you lose it if you don't keep up running.

was planning a run for tomorrow morning before work, but my ankle is hurting, so am going to see if it's better after a night's rest.

W2R1 complete!! Whoopee!!

Only thing is my knee is quite as sore. As in, sore for a few days after I run...I worried it may be the weight I'm carrying! Any suggestions?x

I had bad knees at the beginning. I believe the key is to let them get better before u run again. I pushed through the pain barrier at the beginning only to have to stop the plan for 3 weeks to let them recover. They are fine now and I am near the end of the plan! Just don't do yourself any damage and listen to ur body :)

Hi all, I am jumping in currently about 1/2 way through C25K :) I have done the programme before but always seem to let it slide, then I got a really bad ankle injury in December so have decided to ease my way back in. I started around week 3 I think. Anyway I completed W5R2 on Wednesday evening which is the 2x 8min run. Ankle felt fine and I am really working on keeping my pace slow as that is always my downfall so although I have done a lot of 5 and 10km events I always run for as long as poss then walk for a bit. I want to complete the programme properly this time and get my stamina up before increasing speed.

I am going to redo the W5R2 at the gym this lunchtime and save the 20 min run for the weekend as I much prefer running outside.

So inspiring to read through this thread. I totally agree the programme is incredible! I recommended it to my Dad a year ago or so and it has completely changed his life.

Good luck to everyone in the midst of it! I will check back in with progress as I go.

My top tips
1. Good sports bra
2. Good trainers
3. If struggling, slow down
4. Run outside, it is so much more interesting.
5. Do not EVER feel embarassed, noone will judge you.

Good post BerryBerry. I totally agree with you too.

I had graduated the C25K programme before Christmas but I have had a bad hip for over a month. I have stopped running and it has eased off a little so I intend to restart the programme but hopefully I will be able to do the W5 runs no bother. I am having a little bit more time off as hip is still aching but am gearing myself up to getting going again.

My top tips
1. Good sports bra
2. Good trainers
3. If struggling, slow down
4. Run outside, it is so much more interesting.
5. Do not EVER feel embarassed, noone will judge you.

yy to all of this! I read something the other day that went something like "no matter how slowly you go, you're still lapping those sitting on the sofa"

i find it helpful to think about something other than what you're doing, so think about what you need to do that day etc. It takes the pressure off me running iyswim.

iIvr just signed up to do !bristol 10k in May - will do the 10k trainer thing (which goes through c25k and then beyond - it's 14 weeks in total) Eek!

dont be worried about repeating a session too - when I did C25k the first time, I think I repeated W3D3 about 4 times, lol, as I couldn't complete it without feeling whacked

I have restarted running. I'm using a walk/run programme to get me back to running for 30mins in 4 weeks. Completed C25K early last year.

I run on the treadmill as find running outside gives me cramp in my calves think this is due to the fact I have to run up hill for quite a while to get out of the estate I live on. And regardless of how much I stretch it comes and gets me at night lol

Happy running everyone

Hi all! I did W6R2 yesterday lunchtime on the treadmill, ran 5min @11kph, then walk 3min @6kph, then run 8min (half at 11 and half at 10), walk 3 again and the final run of 5min probably half 11 and half 10kph again.

I have signed up to Race For Life with a team from work. Its in June so ages away and I have done 5kms before but I don't want to embarass myself and would like to run the whole thing as close to 30min as I can so definitely need to keep up C25K til completion and keep improving speed from there.

I am doing the 5:2 diet and have done some of the runs on fast days, its weird because sometimes its fine and others I feel sooo lacking in energy. Really have a mental battle to keep going but managed them all so far.

Hi all! I did W6R2 yesterday lunchtime on the treadmill, ran 5min @11kph, then walk 3min @6kph, then run 8min (half at 11 and half at 10), walk 3 again and the final run of 5min probably half 11 and half 10kph again.

I have signed up to Race For Life with a team from work. Its in June so ages away and I have done 5kms before but I don't want to embarass myself and would like to run the whole thing as close to 30min as I can so definitely need to keep up C25K til completion and keep improving speed from there.

I am doing the 5:2 diet and have done some of the runs on fast days, its weird because sometimes its fine and others I feel sooo lacking in energy. Really have a mental battle to keep going but managed them all so far.

They're pretty impressive speeds you are running at. I read in the 5:2 bumph that you're supposed to be able to exercise as usual with no adverse effects but I don't believe it! Good luck with your training. I am due to restart after a hip injury soon.

Hey guys,

I hope to join ye in this challenge. I have signed up for a 10 km race in June. I can't seem to manage running for more than 2 mins. I tend to find it very hard to breath. Any advice on how to breath when running?

At the moment I am running for 2 mins at 8.1 km per hour and walking at 4.2 km per hour for a min. Don't know if I ave signed up for too much. Don't know if I will b ready on time.

Look forward to sharing this experience with ye all and hope to learn lots from ye.

Chat soon,
Jen.

Hi Jen, if you are getting out of breath on the 2min runs then slow down for now and work on your stamina. Try and take long breaths not "panting" I think in through the nose, out throught the mouth is best but I generally do what comes naturally haha!
Have you got an app to follow to take you through to an hour or so constant running? There is plenty of time til June, even if you end up running 1/2 hour walking for 5 or 10 min then running the next 1/2 hour :) Good luck!

Haven't done any C25K for a while, been ill for a couple of weeks but feeling 95% now so will attempt W2D3 tomorrow. Tried it a couple of weeks ago but stopped after 20 minutes as I just couldn't breathe properly.:( Hopefully I haven't lost much of the progress I'd made, still been going to the gym just been taking it easy.:(

I'm still struggling - not improved since November but figured I would just keep wracking up the miles and hope the spring sunshine will help! Still struggling with the cold :(

Tried W3D1 yesterday and gave up after the first 90 second run lol, not sure why but I was just feeling awful and not in the mood.

Attempted again today and completed it. The first run was more difficult for me than the two 3 minute ones which seemed a bit odd, but I am really pleased I did it! I did an extra minute of running at the end as well, just so I could say I ran for 10 minutes. :p

Today my friend was on the treadmill with me which I really think helps keep me going, she really motivates me and not having that the other day was maybe part of the reason I gave up!

After weeks of my other half thinking I'm daft for complaining that the cold air was ruining my running and beginning to wonder whether I did get that unfit after rest at Christmas I proved it! 10 degrees rather than 3 and back to my pre clock change times! Just hope it doesn't get too cold again!

Back