Cali Sweden's Diary

Okay whew busy busy afternoon. It takes a lot of hours to make all that food. With my guy helping it took 2.5 hours. But the food is so worth the effort. I wouldn't say it's GL perfect, but it has a lot of veggies, and I made the medium grain rice healthy by adding barley and oats to it.

I made Korean style tofu, Namul two types (spinach, and bean sprouts), Ssamjang (dipping sauce), Bulgogi type pork, seaweed soup, and the special rice. Everything was from scratch so it takes time. Living in Sweden, and the countryside doesn't make for convience.

I didn't count the calories or the servings, but I figured oh well it's a lot of veggies and garlic. I actually couldn't eat as much as I thought I was going to. Though I do think I ate at least half of my exercise calories back today. :)

Breakfast: Oat porridge with fiber, mixed berries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, milk, cinnamon and agave syrup.

Snack: 1 piece dark chocolate

Lunch: 60% of the sausage from yesterday, with saurkraut and 1 small whole wheat tortilla.

Snack: Cottage cheese and yoghurt mix with pumpkin seeds and a peeled apple.

Dinner: Korean seaweed soup, bulgogi style pork, dipping sauce, namul bean sprouts and spinach, green lettuce(to make wraps), rice/barley/oats mix.

Exercise: 30 minutes walk, pushups, crunches, and 60 minutes yoga.

Wow! I've not heard of half the stuff but it sounds great. I've never eaten Korean food. I'm so glad you enjoyed it all. :) And the rest of the day looks good too.

We are going to eat the leftovers today. But I plan to hold back this time. I gained 1.6lbs from yesterday to this morning :(

Now I have to lose this weight gain and try to go negative! A lesson learned indeed.

sounds great Cali- I don't know much about Asian cooking- but it sounds very healthy.
I have to admit I'm very envious of how easy you seem to be finding the diet- I wish I struggled to eat enough each day! Keep up the great work :D

Asian food is actually really healthy, if eating the real stuff and not the panda express type fake ones. That's where alot of trouble happens with Asian food, because they keep all the oils, frying and starch, but minus all the great wonderful veggies, and plus making everything super sweet. If you like spicy foods, Korean food can be really spicy, but oh so good.

Hehehe, that's so funny Ruth, I thought the same of you ladies, because it seems like you guys always have such great ideas of what to eat and how to eat them. Also you ladies stay on track better, I still eat dark chocolate everyday, and sin often:( I get a lot of my eating ideas from you lovely ladies, seriously if it wasn't for you guys I don't think it would have been as easy.

I think the main reason why I find this diet not dietish, because it fits my eating style better than other diets. It's a really natural way to eat, and I love my carbs. I don't care how it comes in as long as it gets it, it's a happy body. Also after 1 whole month of eating 20g of carbs a day, with stuffing fat in my mouth the whole day, where I felt disgusted and had a hard time swallowing my food at the end. GL is much easier with much less restrictions:)

Cali I think you are doing really well. Your losses are good and the fact that your body is enjoying the food you're eating shows that it's a good way for you to eat. If something (like all that fat!) is repulsive to us it's usually for a good reason!

About the yummy Korean food, I don't think it is physically possible to put on 1.6lb of fat literally overnight, you would have had to have eaten 5600 calories over and above what your body needed for the day. So I'm sure some is water weight or just food weight (if it's digesting slowly for example) and that it will come off again. :)

My mom said the same thing about me eating the other diet. She said most likely my body would reject it since I grew up eating lots of veggies and fruits, and not chowing down on fatty foods.

Whew, you don't know how relieved I am about what you wrote Plum. I know I didn't eat 5600 calories, let alone above what I ate. I got on the scale this morning and it was just a huge "Nooooooooo!" I hope it won't be difficult for it to go away. I don't want a + on the weigh in.

Today was a very humid day, the air felt so heavy. We don't get those too often, but going for a walk in it felt just bleh. Almost felt taking a walk through a sauna.

Food wise, I didn't cook anything except for microwaving my oat porridge, the rest was all leftover Korean. So if I gain another 1.6lbs tomorrow, we all know why.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with fiber, mixed berries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, milk, cinnamon, and agave syrup.

Snack: 1 piece dark chocolate

Lunch: Last night's leftovers.

Snack: Cottage cheese and yoghurt mix with pumpkin seeds, and a peeled apple.

Dinner: Last night's leftover.

Exercise: 30 minutes walk, pushups, crunches, and 60 minutes of yoga. Does grooming my dog for over an hour count as something? She was shedding like no tomorrow, and my arms were so tired after brushing her for so long. I filled up half an office trash can with just her fur I brushed out.

I would say you could count the grooming as strength training if your arms were sore after. ;)

Hope the scales are kinder to you this morning. That 'Noooooooo!' feeling isn't nice even if you have a rational explanation for a gain.

This morning the scale was +.2 lbs. Not bad for eating Korean food twice yesterday. But that brings the total to +1.8 lbs in two days. My OH and I noticed last night we had really bloated stomachs. We did eat 800g of spinach, 800g of bean sprouts, almost two things of green lettuce, 3 things of tofu, a lot of garlic, 1.5 l of seaweed soup, and rice with Low GL things in two days divided into 3 meals. I think we did eat A LOT of veggies.

If you're both feeling bloated then I'm sure the weight is just food/water weight and not actual weight gain so should come off quickly. :) That does sound like a lot of veggies and also all really healthy!

It's been some really weird weather here today. So I didn't go for walk, and the rest of the day was busy so I didn't have time for yoga. We did go throw away wood scraps at the dump today, and it poured on us. Fun fun.

We stopped by one of my guy's bosses house, to see the house they finished renovating. We ended up staying there a lot longer than we planned to. Lost time to eat a proper lunch, so I just ate something quick. Then it was time to go to my sister-inlaws birthday fika (coffee and sweets). She ordered a passion fruit cake, baked swedish cinnamon rolls, and muffins. I had one cinnamon roll, half a small muffin, and a thin slice of cake with a cup of rooibos tea.

When we got home several hours later, I felt like I crashed. I felt drained, exhausted, tired and grumpy. I thought to myself not eating a proper lunch, and having refined sugar and wheat flour must have did it. We made a proper healthy dinner. After eating it and the food beginning to digest, I feel much better:)

Breakfast: Oat porridge with fiber, strawberries, cinnamon, milk, flax seeds, sunflower seeds and agave syrup.

Lunch: 2 knäckebröd with peanut butter and no sugar added preserves.

Snack: Fika at sister-inlaw's, Swedish cinnamon roll, half a muffin, and a thin slice of passion fruit cake.

Dinner: Spinach, tomato, and cucumber salad, grilled pork, corn on the cob, and left over rice/barley/oat mix. 1 piece of dark chocolate.

Yes I agree Plum, I said that to myself too tonight. That wow this crashing is horrible, I haven't felt this rubbish in awhile. Amazing what rubbish foods can do to you.

Oh on a happy positive note. My man's boss's wife gave me a compliment today. She said "Oh, you look thinner, you look great!" It totally made my day. Swedes aren't the type to give compliments or pretty much anything often. So to me it really meant a lot that someone noticed it :)

Ugh@feeling grumpy and bloated. We get so used to eating healthy food that when we don't, it really effects us.

That's really great that you got a compliment today Cali, your hard work is paying off and the results are visible to all! :) :)

It's amazing when you think about the effect these unhealthier foods have on us - we notice more, I think, because we usually eat well and so feel good and the contrast is greater, but I think they must also have an effect on people who eat less well all of the time, they just don't notice because to them it's normal to feel that way. Which is a sad thought and pretty condemning to the food industry that comes up with all the processed junk. When I go back to the States I am always horrified at some of the frankenfoods that are available in the quest to give people even more sugar, starch, chemicals and bad fats to eat. The UK is catching up slowly but still nowhere near it.

(hmm, that turned into a bit of a soapbox moment, oops, sorry!)

Thank you Ashie and Plum :)

Oh yeah today when I was trying to figure out what to wear to my sister-inlaws birthday fika, I tried on a handful of clothes. I discovered that two dress tops I have I can't wear anymore. They're too big on me, I was so shocked at how much arm space I had and everywhere. The arms used to fit perfectly. I told my guy that it looks like I'll keep these fancy shirts for when I get pregnant so I have something nice to wear with a big belly :)

LOL, Cali. I hope that did not surprise him too much :)

How wonderful to get a compliment and yay@clothes too big for you. It's a really nice feeling. It's a excuse for you to do some shopping. :)

Back