Cali Sweden's Diary

How lovely you were able to enjoy a walk today. I think it's the sensible thing to do - let your body rest from the yoga. Hopefully, you wont feel as sore tomorrow.

Well, enjoy the cornbread while it lasts. Little portions are fine and it will probably a while until you cook them again as you have such a variety of food.

I am so not going to bake cornbread for a long time now. It's too yummy to pass it up, and the worst is that I made it GI/GL friendly so I feel that it's ok to eat. Thankfully there isn't any more left :) It's not the cornbread that's bad, it's the portion I had at dinner time which is naughty. The next time I make cornbread I will only make half the amount, I made a double batch this time, and it was a lot.

So looks like the rest of this week I will have to make up for my bad cornbread habit I had for the past 3 days >_< Noone to blame but myself. I guess I decided to splurge on cornbread :(

At least on a somewhat better note, today was a sunny day again:) Which of course means I was able to enjoy my walk, which is always refreshing. Though the winds are getting really chilly. I also did yoga today, though I'm still struggling with the new routine. It's really intense for me, and 30 minutes seems to be my limit for the non-beginners yoga. My legs and arms were wobbling and shaking on some of the poses. I think my new nemesis is the side plank pose, I can hold a modified version of it for only a couple of breaths.

Practice makes perfect, and I know eventually I will be able to do these new yoga poses without problems:)

Breakfast: Oat porridge with raspberries, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and milk.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate

Lunch: Leftover chili beans with a small piece of cornbread.

Snack: A peeled apple and cottage cheese with pumpkin seeds.

Dinner: Leftover chili beans and a too big of a piece of cornbread.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate.

Exercise: 27 minutes long walk, pushups, crunches, and 30 minutes of yoga.

I've been really good today compared to the rest of the week. We went over to the inlaws to visit tonight. They wanted to eat Chinese take away, and there's no way I'm eating that stuff. Don't get me wrong, I really love Chinese food, but real Chinese food, not this fake stuff that they try to pass off as Chinese food out here. They make Panda Express in the US seem authentic. The quality of Chinese food here is horrible, in my opinion it doesn't taste Asian at all, and too expensive for the horrible quality. If I can make it better and cheaper than the restaurant, then there's no point in me eating there. Sorry about the rant.

Anyways, so I told my OH that I'd rather eat Schnitzel salad than fake Chinese, as I know exactly what's in the salad. He lets his parents know we're getting schnitzels and so they decided that sounded much yummier too :) We took the take away to OH's parents place, I made sure I packed a slice of rye bread with me for my good low GI/GL carbs. My inlaws had margarine (can't be too picky away from home), so I used that on the bread.

I was able to go on a walk today, yippie! :) Though a cold walk, where my nose felt like it would fall off. When I got home I felt cold and hot >_< I didn't feel like doing yoga, so I had to warm up, and then later on this afternoon I was in the mood to do yoga :)

Breakfast: Oat porridge, strawberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and milk.

Lunch: 1 slice of rye bread with peanut butter and jam.

Snack: About 1/3 of Allévo bar.

Dinner: Schnitzel salad with 1 slice of rye bread with margarine (they didn't have butter).

Snack: 2 pieces of dark chocolate.

Exercise: 27 minutes long walk, pushups, crunches, and 35 minutes of yoga.

I like the way you handled the whole Chinese takeaway thing. I do agree with you about how some countries just cannot manage some "ethnic" foods and yet others do it so well. For example, in the US, Indian curries (on the whole) are pretty horrific. I don't think UK gets it quite right in terms of Mexican food. In Brazil, they do Japanese brilliantly but it never occurred to me that Brazil would be a great place for Japanese food. Anyway, kudos to you for dealing with it and remembering to bring your rye bread. :)

Oh and well done on finishing the cornbread - it was becoming like my pancake saga :D

Yes, I agree the curries in the states are horrible. Well so are the lassi and masala chai. I had much better curries (Indian food) in Japan and Singapore (was my favorite). Mexican food in California is my favorite, but then again I guess it's a little biased since I come from there.

The reason why Brazilians do a pretty good job with Japanese food is that Brazil has the world's largest amount of Japanese people besides Japan:) A lot of Japanese people moved to Brazil to farm. Also a lot of Japanese Brazilians moved with their Brazilian families back to Japan, and then back to Brazil:) I remember the first time meeting Japanese Brazilians when I was a child, it really surprised me seeing Japanese people speaking perfect Portugese as their first language.

The cornbread was really becoming a nasty habit, I was like a junkie drawn to that cornbread. It just tastes too yummy >_< Maybe next time I make less, or make it non-GI/GL friendly so I won't want it.

Today felt like a salad day. For some reason chicken salad sounded really yummy :) My food was pretty good today, though I had a slice of Kladdkaka, it's a Swedish gooey cake. It is similar to American brownies, but it's really gooey. My OH and I admit it used to taste so much better, but today we found it to be way too sweet. I ended up putting extra mashed raspberries on my plate and mashed the kladdkaka into the raspberries so it wasn't so sweet. I don't think I'll be having kladdkaka for a long while, as it wasn't as enjoyable as it used to be.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with blueberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and milk.

Snack: A handful of red grapes.

Lunch: Chicken, bacon, feta cheese, tomato, cucumber, radish, carrot, green onion, spinach, and rucola salad with half a slice of rye bread with butter.

Snack: A small slice of Kladdkaka (Swedish gooey cake) with whipped cream and mashed raspberries.

Dinner: Chicken, bacon, feta cheese, tomato, cucumber, radish, carrot, green onion, spinach, and rucola salad with half a slice of rye bread with butter.

The reason why Brazilians do a pretty good job with Japanese food is that Brazil has the world's largest amount of Japanese people besides Japan:)

I know, I was so surprised by this when I first found out this was the case. :)

Anyway, good to have a craving for salad. :D

I didn't get a chance to update yesterday, so here it is now :)

Yesterday's (Sunday's) food was good, and portion sizes were good too. I've been a eating good for days now, though I feel like a bloated water buffalo and the scale shows it. The scale hasn't budged in days. I will most likely have a gain tomorrow on weigh in >_<

Not only do I feel like a bloated water buffalo, I also feel very slow and lazy. Yesterday I almost didn't do my yoga, but I told myself "that's how my bum will get bigger." So I did my yoga:) I hate when totm is getting near.

For dinner, I decided to try Ashie's falafel recipe. I've never made homemade falafels before. They tasted really good, but they weren't sticking together right and kept falling apart. I probably needed two eggs, since I had more onions and lots of parsley in it. So it's more like falafel rice now instead of an actual falafel patty :( My OH never ate falafels before and enjoyed the taste alot, I told him next time I'll get the shape right too :p

Breakfast: Oat porridge with blueberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and milk.

Snack: 2 pieces of dark chocolate, and a couple of crisps.

Lunch: Leftover chicken salad and half a slice of rye bread with butter.

Snack: 1 piece of chocolate, and 1 satsuma

Dinner: Hummus, chicken, falafel, tomatoes and spinch.

Exercise: Pushups, crunches, 30 minutes of yoga.

Cali, you really are doing so well. You seem to have a great routine for both exercise and food.
2lbs last week was a good loss, so don't worry if the scales are less kind this week.
You mentioned feeling a bit bloated. I notice your dinner included hummus and falafel so that was a lot of chick peas in one meal so that might bloat you a little.
Keep up the great work.

Food was really good today, and I made sure to keep an eye on portion sizes today.

Lunch: Hummus, chicken, falafel, tomatoes and spinch.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate, a peeled apple and cottage cheese with pumpkin seeds.

Dinner: Hummus, chicken, falafel, tomatoes and spinch.

Exercise: 27 minutes long walk, pushups, crunches, and 40 minutes of yoga.

I feel bloated but I know it's not from the hummus or falafel, as I didn't have a lot of either one. I kept the portions small. Also where I'm bloating isn't in the stomach. I'm bloating from retaining water thanks to totm >_<

Glad you had a good day today and hopefully it will pay off for your weigh in tomorrow. Good luck! :)

Fingers crossed for you for a good weigh in. Well done on another good day!

:doh:I didn't start off the week on a good start with several days of eating too much corn bread. I gained a little weight, but for five days now the scale hasn't moved. Usually the scale goes down, but this time it hasn't. I've been behaving on my portion sizes and food. But unfortunately I feel like a water buffalo right now, and the scale shows it. Gotta love totm with it's water retention :(

My OH reminds me that every month it's the same situation so I shouldn't be upset with the scale. Though I do hate when the weight gain from totm lands on weigh in day >_<

Here's the 16th weekly weight update:

+0.8 lbs (+.36kg) totm

Total amount since started: -17.0 lbs (-7.27kg)

I didn't get a chance to write my food yesterday (Tuesday). My food was pretty good mealwise, though totm is close by and causing the Hulk inside me to rage for bad things. I've been snacking throughout the day here and there on naughty things. Also since Tuesdays are my food weekends, I usually allow myself some slack.

I didn't really care what the scale would say today, since for 5 days it didn't move. But low and behold this morning the scale actually went down! Go figure I'm naughty and the scale goes down >_<

Breakfast: Oat porridge with strawberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and milk.

Snack: 1 satsuma and a piece of dark chocolate.

Snack: A peeled apple with cottage cheese and pumpkin seeds.

Snack: A couple of crisps.

Dinner: Fried Calamari with homemade marinara, spinach salad, oat/barleybasmati rice mix and lots of lemon juice.

Snack: A handful of chocolate covered wheatpuffs, and a handful of crisps.

Sorry you were stuck by the weigh-day curse this week Cali! At least you know the reason (totm) and so can be sure that it isn't a long-lived gain. :)

Sorry you were stuck by the weigh-day curse this week Cali! At least you know the reason (totm) and so can be sure that it isn't a long-lived gain. :)

Yes, it was not fun to see the scale being stuck at a plus for so many days straight. Now that I'm being a little naughty with my cravings thanks to my inner monthly food hulk, the scale is starting to move back down. I can't complain about that :)

This is yesterday's (Wednesday's) food. I did pretty good even with the cravings. I wonder if guys have to deal with bad cravings like we do? But then again their hormones don't go haywire once a month either.

Dinner last night was really good, my OH was craving Korvstragnoff again. So I made some with lots and lots of veggies. Maybe it was a bit too much of veggies in it, since it was a bit souplike. Also I got a little crazy with the Sriracha sauce and chili sauce, so the food was a bit spicy even for us.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with strawberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, raw honey and milk.

Snack: A piece of dark chocolate and a handful of crisps.

Snack: A peeled apple with cottage cheese and pumpkin seeds.

Dinner: Korvstroganoff made with alot of veggies and barley/oat/basmati rice mix.

Snack: A handful of chocolate covered wheatpuffs.

Exercise: Pushups, crunches, and 40 minutes of yoga.

I could be wrong but I think the only cravings that men really have to deal with (apart from mental/emotional ones, same as us) are those caused by eating the wrong foods (sugar and other white carbs). As you say they don't have the same massive hormone swings that we do. But on the other hand, they do have a fairly active 'appendage' that can lead to visible embarassment and sometimes controls their thinking/decisions so maybe it all balances out in the fairness stakes. I think I'd rather bloat once a month than have to randomly walk around with my folder held in front of my trousers. ;)

Back