Calling all those 'Healthy eating' or 'Changing lifestyle'

Hi guys, I wonder if I can join you all? As I understand it you aren't "dieting" but changing lifestyles to become healthier lighter people?

That's what I want to do!

I have been doing quite well, a normal day will be something like this:

B: porridge & banana or omlette packed with veggies or homemade natural smoothie
S: carrot sticks with low fat cheese dip (dairylea)
L: burgen or WW bread with turkey/tuna salad or soup OR leftovers from night before.
S: fruit with natural peanut butter
D: homemade stews/fish etc with brown rice/little potatoes and plenty of veg. (all natural)
S: fruit smoothie or snackajacks

The only things I can see which I should really change are the cheese dips because of the unnatural ingredients (but they're so little & only 50cals), the bread (but I dont have it everyday) and the snackajacks.

I tend not to eat that unhealthy now as of the last week and I am really enjoying it.

I do still have the times where I want a little ice cream or something but I will have just that, a little!

Am I a good candidate for joining your thread? :)

I too would like to join. I have decided that after trying diet after diet that I should just try and be healthy. I have cut out all snacks and replaced the 8 or 9 (I know, I know) diet cokes every day with sparkling water and have decided to get out and exercise everyday.

A typical menu for me at the moment is:

Morning: Banana on toast

Lunch: Porridge and a cup of tea

Dinner: rice stir fry

Snacks: Couple of jaffa cakes or snackajacks.

Hi and welcome to the thread girls, your menus look pretty good I'd say, so well done and keep it up! :)

1888, you might not be aware of this but drinking diet coke can actually make your body crave sugar - there have been several studies on this now, apparently these sorts of drinks can lead to you eating more overall, so I think it's a wise decision to try to cut them down.

Hi and welcome to the thread girls, your menus look pretty good I'd say, so well done and keep it up! :)

1888, you might not be aware of this but drinking diet coke can actually make your body crave sugar - there have been several studies on this now, apparently these sorts of drinks can lead to you eating more overall, so I think it's a wise decision to try to cut them down.

Ty Elizabeth. Didn't know that. I do know it was like an addiction. I tried to cut down but that didn't work. I then went 'cold turkey' no sniggering at the back:rolleyes: I found it very difficult but I haven't had any for over a month :cool:

You're very welcome. :)

I got up so late today (day off) ... I haven't eaten anything yet, I don't really have an appetite for a few hours after I've woken up. Usually I make myself have a smoothie - fruit juice, bananas, berries, whatever fruit I've got in really, with a pinch of vanilla or cinnamon. I do love them, but today not even that can tempt me. Guess I must have had my dinner very late last evening - I'm a terrible one for eating late, sometimes it's 10pm when I have my dinner. :eek:

I did put some Batchelors Quick Soak Peas in water when I got up, ready to make one of my favourite foods for a cold winter's day. Mmm, homemade pea soup with tarragon and French herbs, and seeded bread. So damn cheap as well (the peas are 35p a pack, which makes two pots). I'll make that now and have a bowl at teatime, then tonight I'm going to have a huge plate of roasted new potatoes in Fajita spice, with lots of steamed vegetables. I'm having this a lot lately, I still like to have a biiig dinner at night and this does the job, whilst still being quite healthy. Recently I've been trying to cut down on rice and pasta, which I tend to rely on for dinners, and I've found that having lots of lovely steamed veg fills me up quite as much, as well as having more actual nutrition. I only have 2st left to lose now, so I'm hoping changes like that will keep the weight coming off steadily.

*edited to add*

I was just looking at my stats there and realised it's exactly 15 months since I started out on this journey .... wow, what changes since then! From being a carnivore to a vegan, from a chronic daily binge eater to having a settled two meals a day, from getting the bus every day to walking everywhere ....! I could *not* have imagined this, 15 months ago. I was in complete despair when I decided to give this Food Optimising thing a go, not believing it could work, and how much I've learned since then. Now having the confidence to use what I've learned and go my own way ... it's amazing, really. Learning to eat properly seems like such a simple thing, but it has made such a huge difference.

Last edited:
Your such an inspiration Elizabeth, and only 17lb till goal...good for you girl, and it won't be long before i'm joining you!! :)

Well i've stayed the same now for 2 weeks...so I know I can maintain, but need to lose a few more lb's first!! :crazy:

But we've got the car back so been to the gym this morning and had a great work out, and i'll be going every day this week, then hopefully will have lost again come Friday...still aiming for a 13lb loss this month so I better get on top of it!! :D

Hope your all well...

Now you're able to get to the gym again you'll see a loss, Lisa. :)

And congratulate yourself on having maintained for a couple of weeks - learning to maintain is the thing that will keep us in good shape when we get to goal! Anyone can lose weight, really. Not everyone seems able to maintain, though. That's the hard part.

Got my new juicer today! Was fabby! Made myself some apple, grape & carrot juice & it was well yummy! :D

Glad to have an easier way to get some more fruit & veg into my body and I've also heard that in juice form the nutrients get into your body faster so thats a bonus :)

4lbs!?!?!?!? It's AMAZING loss hun!!!
Must be very very chuffed then xxx

Wow, this thread has nearly disappeared since I was here last! Hope you are all well Lisa and co, sorry for the long absence, I've been without 'net access - I've missed Minimins. :)

Well what a couple of months I've had, basically financial meltdown, which I guess a lot of people are experiencing right now. This has had an unimagined and slightly alarming effect on my weight, ie I've barely had any money for food! Never in my life have I been in a situation like this, where I'm having to write a very precise list of shopping when I get paid ... literally just enough for two small meals a day, for 28 days, till I get paid again. Good lord it's been tough. :(

I guess the positive is that it's taught me just what a person can survive on. I wasn't a huge spender on food anyway, my eating habits have changed so radically over the past 18 months, but having to pare down to the bare minimum has been interesting, to say the least. I was actually worried about whether I was getting enough to eat, so I've started keeping a rough calorie check and making sure I'm having at least 1200 a day. Since doing this I've regained a little of the stone and a half I'd lost over a period of about six weeks - I was getting rather concerned at my rapidly falling weight, particularly as I'm not far off goal now.

Hopefully I've found a happy medium now in this terribly difficult phase, I just hope the financial situation starts easing up in the near future. I miss my big dinners. :D

Anyway hope you are all doing OK, Lisa how is it going? I've been wondering how you were getting on. :)

Hi Elizabeth and everyone,

So sorry I didn't get back to you until now, I haven't been on for quite a few months, and im sorry to hear about your situation, I really hope it's improving now, it sounded awful - well done for getting through it though!

I fell off the wagon pretty much, and i've put 14lb back on. I don't even really know why, I think I just lost a bit of motivation stopped exercising for a while, and had a few too many treats on top of it...i'm dissapointed in myself because I really believe in healthy eating, and it being a life change, but staying positive, im just glad I realised I was losing control before i'd put ALL the weight back on, and I definately don't want it to happen again!!

I have now decided to eat more Low Gi foods as I am diabetic, and after some research this seems the right way to go to keep on top of my blood sugars and weight loss...so i've done my first day today, and it was great!

I'm back in to my exercise now too, and I have been going to the gym 5 mornings a week. This week I am doing a fitness vid each morning wearing my sauna suit, so come friday i'll see if thats working too, I like variation!!

I'll be about lots more again now, on here or the Gi diets forum, so anyone come say hi anytime...let me know how you have all been doing too!

Hope you are all well,

ive done that, healthy eating and lifestyle as opposed to starting a diet, i did consider dieting but i did healhty eating for a while to see how it went and its worked amazingly!

ive beena gym memeber for some time now too, and dropped froma 12 toa 6/8, i even had to return a size small shorts, for an extra small, that felt pretty good :)

im at the gym 5 days a week, doing 2-3 hours a time too, so all the hard works paying off :) i actuyally enjoy going too, so its not like i need the motivation

Hello! I'm new here and SO glad to find this thread, as I don't really believe in 'dieting', as such. (Am I allowed to say that?!) Then I saw that the thread had pretty much died, and was very disappointed, so I'm delighted to see that you're getting it going again Lisa.

I have two stone to lose, having managed, last year, to lose one stone and ten pounds, but then put a stone back on - grrr!!!!

Back