Calling all writers here!

Toadie

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and was just finding my way around when I saw this section. I am a writer considering self publishing. Has anyone been published, either through a publisher or through self publishing? Any tips?

I have completed my first novel and am in the process of writing the second. I love to write and really enjoy getting to know my characters. My books are aimed at young adult or adult and are horror/fantasy. Any other novelists here? Would love to get to know more writers.

Hi Toadie, I'm sorry if this is dredging up an old thread, but 8've just joined too, saw your post, and wanted to give you some tips if you still need them, as I'm published on Amazon. My tip is - just do it! Amazon have a great self publishing service, though they take a whopping proportion of the profits. However, since I just wanted to get my first book out there to get my name out there, I wasn't too bothered. Another tip is make sure you have a strong front cover. Most people won't go for the book, no matter how good the story sounds, if the cover doesn't look professional. Get as many friends and family to leave reviews as you can, and make it available to as many countries as you can. Amazon provide you with a good formatting tool to make sure everything looks right on a kindle, so make sure you use that to the best of your abilities. Oh, and spellcheck EVERYTHING! Get it as professional looking as possible. Advertise it everywhere you can, as well - Facebook, twitter, hanging a banner outside your window (ok, maybe not the last one, but you get the point..... :p )

I write scripts! I've never done anything with them though, although the one I'm currently working on I'm going to film myself I think as it's cheap and easy!

HIya im a casual writer but I have some things that I would love to see in print.
Im making my granddaughter her very own box set, I also write poetry.
I would love to make a bit of extra cash from this but never thought the % to be high enough if your not a best seller.
So its a balance between do you want to share your special thoughts with people and does that warrant the financial reward.

So I do find myself umming and sghiing about taking further steps.

Im also a tad slow to complete but I think a possibly the not knowing is whats stopped me in my tracks and ive not completed any?? you now have me questioning myself . Which is good lol :)

I have written factual articles on musical topics for many years but was moved to write novels a few years ago. My motivation was to raise awareness of the prevalence of dog fighting in the UK and to try to make youngsters realise just how evil a so-called sport it is. I have written three books in what is to be series of four and self published using Createspace and these sell on Amazon. My tips are to write, rewrite and proof read over the course of a few weeks before publishing. Keep careful notes about plots and characters and refer to these often. It is easy to miss small things but your readers won't!

Back