Calorie deficit going to my head: stupid BMI question

perseph0ne

I have maths a-level, but my brain has turned to mush. Does your BMI fall more quickly at higher weights or at lower weights? I should be able to work this out but I can't.:eek:

the speed of it falling is dependent on how much you loose each time. ie the higher the total weight the higher the BMI. i think

That's not quite what I meant, I think. Because there's a square in the equation (m2) 6 lbs off would result in a different amount of BMI lost when you're at, say BMI 30, than if you're at BMI 20. I just can't work out whether it's more at a higher or lower weight, IYSWIM? I think your BMI falls faster if you're bigger and lose 6lbs but I'm not totally sure....

Unfortunately your BMI falls quicker the lighter you are...

for example

If you were 10st 7lb = BMI 23
If you were 10st = BMI 21.5 (1.5 difference)

If you were 20st 7lb = BMI 44.5
If you were 20st = BMI 43.5 (1 difference)

:sigh:

I've wondered that myself before actually. How odd that the points go down quicker when your BMI is already healthy. :confused:

Its because when you weigh less - half a stone is a higher percentage of your body weight

At 20.5 stone (287lbs) - 7lbs = 2.44% of your body weight
at 10.5 stone (147lbs) - 7lbs = 4.76% of your body weight

Carol x

Unfortunately your BMI falls quicker the lighter you are...

for example

If you were 10st 7lb = BMI 23
If you were 10st = BMI 21.5 (1.5 difference)

If you were 20st 7lb = BMI 44.5
If you were 20st = BMI 43.5 (1 difference)

:sigh:
Thank you!

Actually I don't mind that. I know I have a long way to go to get to "healthy" and I think it will spur me on knowing my BMI is dropping faster as I get closer to my goal.

Its because when you weigh less - half a stone is a higher percentage of your body weight

Carol x

thats a better way of saying it ;) lol x

Carol x

Oh I get it now :eek: hehe thanks

Maths=pain

:giggle:

Back