cambridge diet and boozing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

borthy

hi all, im new!!
i was thinking of starting the diet. but the problem i have that is,that i go out for a drink most weekends.now could i still go out and have a few?i know it will make weightloss slower,but i thought because of the decrease in calories, it would not hurt to have a couple of drinks. or am i being stupid and the diet doesnt work that way.
any help would be great. thank you

Hiya when i was on CD i had to cut out the drinking for weeks , and to be fair, when you are on track you think that loosing weight is more important than the odd drink.!!

Get in touch with a CDC who will explain every little detail to you.!!

Once you have lot all your weight you can have a GOOD drink then lol I did.!

hi shanny, thanks for your reply.yeh maybe its time to jack the drinkin in. you have done really really well! keep up the good work!!
iv got about the same amount to loose as youve lost. seems a long wayxx

Thank you but honestly YOU can do it, when starting/ doing this diet your head has got to be in it to want to loose the weight.!!

it's not a easy diet but loads of people are loosing large amount of weight.!

Good luck keep in touch x

I would discuss this with your CDC as she should then fully explain the dangers of drinking whilst being in Ketosis - it is very very dangerous. Please don't even contemplate alcohol whilst SS.

(Post-exercise ketosis, ketone bodies)

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

and just to clarify... ketotic is a medical term referring to any circumstance in which low blood glucose is accompanied by ketosis. Which is the case for those of us on VLCD

Yes, you really have to knock the alcohol on the head when you are on the lower plans. It's not just because of the ketosis, but also because of the low calorie level. You can make yourself really poorly.

Looking on the bright side, I do have a fair few student clients who really worried about this, yet have found it to be much easier to cut out than they imagined. In fact I think they are rather enjoying watching their friends make fools of themselves rather than the other way around :D

Regadless of what diet you follow alcohol is THE single biggest anti! In dieting parlance....alcohol = empty calories! If you REALLY must have a drink try a small dry red wine. It acts as a diruetic and can help purge excess sub-cutaneous fluids.

Regadless of what diet you follow alcohol is THE single biggest anti! In dieting parlance....alcohol = empty calories! If you REALLY must have a drink try a small dry red wine. It acts as a diruetic and can help purge excess sub-cutaneous fluids.

But for those of us following non TFR diets factoring some alcohol now and again into your day, be it as controlled calories, points, or Syns does absolutely no harm. Thats one of the many reason I chose WW so I CAN have alcohol when I choose without damaging my diet at all.

Absolutely not! Are you aware that this diet is a TFR, and any alcohol can be dangerous?

If you really have to have a drink then Cambridge diet is definitely not for you, apart from it being dangerous, you have to be committed to it. You'd be surprised how easy it is to stick to once your into it.

As with any diet, the CD is a non-alcoholic zone. However, a glass of red wine (and I do MEAN a glass!) once a week as a reward will do no harm. It has a lot of benefits including diruretic, blood thinning and relaxing. But, and there's always a but, it must not become a regular item in your diet plan.

As with any diet, the CD is a non-alcoholic zone. However, a glass of red wine (and I do MEAN a glass!) once a week as a reward will do no harm. It has a lot of benefits including diruretic, blood thinning and relaxing. But, and there's always a but, it must not become a regular item in your diet plan.

doh-1.gif

I have to wonder Dave if you actually know anything about the diet?:sigh:

Well. I know it was devised in 1970 by Dr Howard. I know it promotes, in my opinion, the unhealthy practice of "crash dieting". I also know it was attributed with many illness and deaths in the USA when Jack Feather took it to the USA masses. I also know it requires supplementation with minerals, vitamins and fatty acids. Red wine is high in many of the aforementioned......therefore the "once a week" reward is, again in my opinion, okay. Naturally, I'm generalising here. I concede there are those on super depletion who really should avoid ANY alcohol but, by and large, a glass of red wine, once a week, is a good method of reward. Incidentally, I'm a professional personal trainer and diet advisor. However I tend to train fitness and toning concious clients so my diet plans generally revolve around the more healthy practice of little but often.

Well. I know it was devised in 1970 by Dr Howard. I know it promotes, in my opinion, the unhealthy practice of "crash dieting". I also know it was attributed with many illness and deaths in the USA when Jack Feather took it to the USA masses. I also know it requires supplementation with minerals, vitamins and fatty acids. Red wine is high in many of the aforementioned......therefore the "once a week" reward is, again in my opinion, okay. Naturally, I'm generalising here.

Yeah. Different diet. The USA version is very different to the UK version, which is approve by N.I.C.E and the EU as being safe.

I concede there are those on super depletion who really should avoid ANY alcohol but, by and large, a glass of red wine, once a week, is a good method of reward.

As a diet advisor, do you consider drinking on an empty stomach good? And alcohol as a treat?:confused: Alcohol is social, pretty fun to drink etc etc, but a treat? Treat for what exactly? Much better ways of treating yourself than drinking on an empty stomach, and risk feeling really ill for days.

The mix of ketosis, along with the very low calorie intake and alcohol is a recipe for disaster.

Probably safe on the higher plans, but you didn't stipulate that, you recommended it for the diet as a whole.

Naturally, I'm generalising here. I concede there are those on super depletion who really should avoid ANY alcohol

Yes and those are Cambridge diet users, which is what we've been saying throughout the whole thread - alcohol is not permitted on this diet, its not a matter of being a killjoy its simply not safe, infact it could be fatal. I appreciate your pride might be at stake here but I would just let it go. Your wrong.

KD, I'm a great advocate of reward for hard work. As you are undoubtably aware, dieting REALLY is hard work. The CD in particular is a brutal diet. How anyone can survive on as little as 400cals a day is beyond me! However, red wine, as I stress RED wine, is generally a low process wine and low in calories. I most certainly do not condone alcoholism or any excessive drinking but neither do I condone starvation! A healthy weight loss diet consists of eating fewer calories than you burn. It also relies on a modicum of exercise being undertaken to raise the metabolism. As I said, I tend to have a cross section of clients who range from obese to just wanting to tone. In EVERY case I advocate 6 meals a day. 3 being "substantial" (350-500 cals) and 3 being snacks (100-250 cals) depending upon current weight and targets allied to exercise regime. As stated earlier, I feel alcohol are empty calories but RED wine has lots of benefits too. I feel both awestruck and saddened that individuals feel that starvation is acceptable. Statistically, how many CD advocates reach their goals then keep the weight off? Very few as a percentage I would wager. Historically crash and extreme dieting has a poor long term record of success

I think your on the wrong forum, this is a weight loss support forum not a diet criticism forum, criticising the diet and suggesting your going to put all the weight you lose back on after using is NOT good support. I only know three people personally who have done this diet and each one has maintained that weight, and they did it over three years ago. Maybe read the rules of the board before posting.

Very well said Omega.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back