Can i ask?? Why so many restarters??

fairy-mary

Hi
I'm a first time cd'er and a stone from goal
I notice a lot of re-starters!?! Why does cd fail for some people and what to do to avoid putting on weight afterwards!!!
Thanks

Cant answer for anyone else but for me i stopped for an operation 1 stone before goal and fell into the ' i know ive got to go back to it to finish off so i better stuff my face while i can" trap. It was so east first time round- straight into the zone 100% no cheats for 6 months- but restarting has been an over indulgence nightmare. This time i am getting to goal and then working up through the plans.

Its not CD that fails, its people fail to maintain. Its not in anyway exclusive to CD or a VLCD, if you look at WW/SW/Atkins etc there are threads day in and day out from people returning.

All the diets work if theyre followed properly, maintenance is the hard part. If you dont do maintenance properly then regardless of how you lost the weight - youll regain it.

Hi
I'm a first time cd'er and a stone from goal
I notice a lot of re-starters!?! Why does cd fail for some people and what to do to avoid putting on weight afterwards!!!
Thanks

the diet doesn't fail... we do.

1st time i did ss i got almost to goal and got pregnant again. although i ate differently i still put on 5 stone. i did the diet again and got lower again but my iron level dropped and i had loads of problems going on in my life with having a sick parent. i had to come off the diet and i popped some weight on. for me i find it so hard once i've finished the diet. it's so easy to put on the weight. i'm not a bad eater and i love exercise (and do loads of it too!). a few biscuits pop in the we go out a bit then there's the holiday etc etc before you know it you've got 21lbs to loose again. my lowest weight was 11st 7lbs and i was happy there but the i rebel a bit and my weight creeps up. i went on holiday so took a months break from cd, i was 12st 7lbs when i stopped cd. had 1 week holiday doing nothing but sitting, reading, playing with my kids, eating and drinking etc etc when i came back to cd i was 13st 8lb! it was the whole month off and i was drinking cold white wine most weekends then all the time on holiday.

it is easy to do. it's my fault that i out some weight on, not the diet.

I have been on most diets incl. CD, was W.W. area winner losing just on 8st. What I can tell you about why so many restarte is that CD, in my humble experience, is a very strict diet & takes a massive amount of willpower for me to follow.

That being said, the results are amazing for an excellent speedy weight loss which, in turn, gives motivation so for every down, there is an up.

For my daughter, who has a lot of weight to shift, this is the ideal diet for her because she see's quick results to keep her motivated. Money was the main problem she failed last time but the craving to eat food was another. When you have half yr body weight to lose, it can become difficult to keep focused on ANY diet as it's seen as a long term struggle, hence why she prefers the CD for speed.

Life problems all contribute to our state of mind & at times, when things are extremely difficult to cope with, following any eating plan can be difficult. Maintaining is equally as difficult because eventually, it's easy to let those little extras become more constant and instead of an added luxury, they become the norm and more treats get added, the exercise slips and hey presto, those few extra gained pounds suddenly hit the stone mark!!

I so hate the word diet. To me it always conjures up thoughts of abstaining, pain, doing without, suffering lol! I have spent over 40 yrs of my life on diets yet here I am 16st again! To me, the only answer is to change the way we think and the way we live. Our life choices make such a difference in every way. Better to think of CD as change of eating habits rather than dieting. ;)

Been thinking about this over night - maybe the reason there are so many restarters is because they all know it works ..and works fast! So they come back to it I'm sure i read somewhere that 90 (or is it95%) of ALL dieters regain the lost weight regardless of the diet they follow so you will have lots of restarters in any diet - I can't count the number of times I restarted WW or SW before this!

The bottom line is done properly CD works and like Chamonix Bee said the results are amazing. Its not CD its US that don't sort ourselves out afterwards!

i think maintenance is the hardest part of the diet. i think most people think the whole not eating thing surely must be the hardest but personally i think thats the easiest part. if people dont maintain properly they are bound to put weight back on. it is so important to remember that we need to always keep in mind why we put on weight in the first place and change those habits for life and then everything would be okay.

and i agree with others... first time round is always the easiest!

Asked and answered... we can lose the weight (I've done it over and over and over...) but it is keeping it off that is the true challenge for most of us. I am using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the hope that I can make permanent changes to my relationship with food and exercise in order to stop the yoyoing.

What I will say is that -- I have not (yet) ever got as heavy I was when I started my first VLCD (when I was obese and then some), and since then I have managed to (without a VLCD) relose most of my regain (which was just over 1/2). However, I have once again allowed my weight to creep back up -- this time I am using CD810 for less than 3 weeks (to jump start my losses and motivation) and then I will decide if I want to go up from there to 1000 or stay at the lower calories. (FYI I am about a stone from a healthy bmi.)

hello, as others as said cd does work and it is us who stop and fail and let the weight come back on if we dont follow the step by step plans,, i am a restarting today and will stick to it this time my reason for stopping losing my grandad and na 2 weeks apart and my head just went elsewhere but i am here n back and will do it for them...... good luck to all

Well in my humble opinion, I don't think we can blame the diet! As has already been said, regardless of diet we often end up reaching out for the 'naughty food' and eating big portions in times of emotional stress, then it all becomes a viscious circle and we feel like a failure and give up.

This year I tried hynotherapy, absolutely great for my self-esteem issues and hubby trouble, but after the initial ten days or so each time I still couldn't control my eating. I also re-tried sw (due to the confidence to re-join I got from hypno), yes I loved the diet, enjoyed cooking the recipies........but hit a blip emotionally and started to re-gain the 12lbs I lost in 6 weeks(and I am a big girl so should have lost more) and here I am panicking about that plane seat to Tenerife in Feb. I abused the portion sizes and wine sins on sw, like many on cd I know I need a break from 'food'.
So here I am, eating like a pregnant elephant waiting for my apt to re-start cd in January, and the reason being that I know I can lose that 2st to guarantee fastenting seat-belt on plane by Feb, and a break from food and booze will remind me that I need to eat to live,not live to eat!
Also I find this forum a fantastic source of motivation and support, and I don't have to sit around for ages when I need to be doing other stuff waiting for a long-winded sw meeting to start.
In the ideal world I would love to do sw,but I am a big girl with a lot to lose in a short time, who knows when I have the willpower cd is the best diet ever, which also gives me chance to remind myself that there is a lot more to life than food!

To any old MM pals, happy xmas and hope you are all well and happy...I am now a working woman again, as Master T started school in September.
Looking forward to logging back on here in January, chatting to old and new cd buddies.

Mrs T x

Hi Mrs. T... it's me... MinnieMel!

Well in my humble opinion, I don't think we can blame the diet! As has already been said, regardless of diet we often end up reaching out for the 'naughty food' and eating big portions in times of emotional stress, then it all becomes a viscious circle and we feel like a failure and give up.

The story of my life -- but add in "lazy git" who lets exercise go and then regains. *sigh*

This year I tried hynotherapy, absolutely great for my self-esteem issues and hubby trouble, but after the initial ten days or so each time I still couldn't control my eating.

Someone else of this forum has done this recently and she seems to feel that it has helped some. Not a cure, but and aid.

I also re-tried sw (due to the confidence to re-join I got from hypno), yes I loved the diet, enjoyed cooking the recipies... but hit a blip emotionally and started to re-gain the 12lbs I lost in 6 weeks

I spent Jaunary through April on CD810/1000 (after a two week Sole Source jump start) and lost about 1 1/2 stone (I am fairly small)... then moved over to Weight Watchers to lose the last stone and get to goal and maintain. I lost the first two weeks.... then let it go.

I kept paying, not going, and regained 2/3s I lost! So, I started back on CD Sole Source on Sunaday (after faffing about trying to make CD810/1000 work for about 6 weeks or more). So far so good... I have stuck to it 100% and may hit ketosis to day. I planning to SS until December 25th, then may have an 810/1000 meal or not. I plan to stay on CD in some or another until I reach goal and go up the steps with CD. I am also using Beck's Congintive Behavourial Book in the hope that I can fix my screwed up relationship with food and fitness.

like many on cd I know I need a break from 'food'.

Yep -- I have Rosemary COnley Portion pots and as long as I used them I was "in control". I noW have my husband and DD using them. My DD was putting 1/2 a container of parmesean cheese on her pasta, so I make her measure it. I also make her measure her sprinkles for ice cream (one tablespoon) and her soup crackers (yellow portion pot) otherwise it is a little soup with a lot of crackers!

So here I am, eating like a pregnant elephant waiting for my apt to re-start cd in January, and the reason being that I know I can lose that 2st to guarantee fastenting seat-belt on plane by Feb, and a break from food and booze will remind me that I need to eat to live,not live to eat!

You go Girl... I can't wait for you join me on this journey. (And YAY to Tenerife... lucky you.)

Also I find this forum a fantastic source of motivation and support,

I do also -- thanks Minis folk

and I don't have to sit around for ages when I need to be doing other stuff waiting for a long-winded sw meeting to start.

Sometimes I like the meetings, but other times I am like... why bother. I like the RC because it is a fitness class and that seems more productive to me.

In the ideal world I would love to do sw,but I am a big girl with a lot to lose in a short time, who knows when I have the willpower cd is the best diet ever, which also gives me chance to remind myself that there is a lot more to life than food!

I find that Slimming World (and the changes with WW) does not work for me, because ofmy portion control issues. I am so much with "NO" than "just a little".

To any old MM pals, happy xmas and hope you are all well and happy...

Happy Christmas, to you and all the Ts!

I am now a working woman again, as Master T started school in September.

That should be helpful -- unless the juggling a job and motherhood is too stressful or the job alone is.

Looking forward to logging back on here in January, chatting to old and new cd buddies.

Mrs T x

We'll be here for you, as you have been for us! (((((HUGS)))))

:wave_cry:

Digg Digg

I had a thin friend? And she wasn’t just thin, but she was healthy. She was beautiful. She drove me crazy.
Here’s why she drove me crazy. The woman always ate well! Always. We’d go out lunch together and she would always order the salad. I’d feel guilty, and change my order from the chicken mayo sandwich with crisps, to salad. So we’d crunch and munch together, her happily, and me sadly. :(
She also drove me crazy because she never sat down. She was always bustling around doing something. I just wanted to sit on the couch and visit. But no, we had to go to the park, or take a walk, or shop for hours at a time. Never just sit.
Once I gained weight, and went from average sized to morbidly obese, I was still friends with her. We’d still go to lunch, and she’d still have a salad. I never ordered the salad anymore though. I just got what I wanted, because it didn’t seem to matter how hard I tried, I could never be like her.
She enjoyed cooking, loved to entertain, but didn’t blow up like a balloon as I did. She knew how to enjoy food.
What came naturally to her, I had to work at. In fact, during the year of my weight loss attempts, when I’d get discouraged, or unsure of what I should be doing, I think of her. What would she do!
Her relationship with food isn't an emotional relationship like mine is.

Here’s 10 things she did differently than I did:
  1. Ate slowly
  2. Make healthy choices
  3. Cooked from scratch
  4. Ate processed foods in moderation
  5. Exercised regularly
  6. Moved a lot during the day
  7. Didn’t obsess over food
  8. Ate something sweet when she wanted to
  9. Enjoyed her food
  10. Always worked to get more fit, not just stay thin
She certainly would not be putting herself through this extreme regime, but extreme as it is I have to do it to try and regain some balance. Whilst I am not 'eating' I'm thinking, its slowing my fast brain (and mouth :17729:) down to think about how slim people manage and I do not.

So, we fail because of the 10 steps above. We do not seem able to be able to follow them after CD.
Hopefully I will succeed this time.
That's the plan and I'm sticking to it!!! :D:D

Last edited:
@Candlewix --

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got! "

Very true -- I am glad that you are finding inspiration in your friend.

Good luck!

I agree with all of the above.

All diets work if they are followed to the letter and follow the principal of consuming or using more calories/engergy than is required to cause a deficit. That's the easy bit!!!

Where it gets complicated is maintaining once you've lost the weight you want. It's dealing with every day life with its various drama's and obsticals. The holidays, birthdays, bad days, stressful days, depressed days and so on and so forth.

The only way we can avoid the "restarts" is to re-educate ourselves and totally change our relationship with food. If we go back to how we ate before the "diet" the weight will all come back on and so the cycle continues.

This time I intend to follow all the stages of CD. To use that time as a way of developing a healthier relationship with food. To tell you the truth I'm petrified but all I can do is take one day at a time.

Good luck xx

Thanks candlewix!
I think we all know some one like your friend. Whether its a friend who seems to be healthier/happier/smarter/funnier! But really do we just focus on the area of their life that we lack in our own???
I'm sure your friend has other struggles that she doesn't show!
But you know your weakness and acknowledge it and are working to
Improve it! So good for you and stick to it!
Maybe that's our problem is that we give up at some stage Either at goal or before or after??!!

Back