Can someone explain green and red days to me ??!!

babybuffy84

Gold Member
As I work 12 hours days twice a week am thinking will do green and red days on them days for the extra he's as I don't have time to cook in work as we don't get set breaks so I can just take sandwiches in just wondering can someone explain the plan to me as I haven't done green & red I'm normally a ee girl !!
Thanks oh did do a search but couldn't find it anywhere :)

Very simply

Red Days. Unlimited Meat, and Superfree foods (Veg, fruit, eggs) NO Pasta, rice, potatoes, parsnips, peas, sweetcorn, beans. 2 HEB & 2 HEA. Can use your HEBS for measured amounts of potato (with skins) or pasta (WM only)

Green Days; Unlimited Pasta, rice, potatoes, parsnips, peas, sweetcorn, beans. and Superfree foods (Veg, fruit, eggs). NO meat or fish. 2 HEB & 2 HEA. Can use your HEBS for measured amounts of lean meat or fish. Get an extended range of HEA's as well.

5-15 syns on either plan a day.

You can however, easily take a extra easy lunch which can be eaten on the go if necessary. Pasta Salad, Cous Cous Salad, Leftovers, soup.You can buy a thermos food flask for £20 on amazon, heat up leftovers or soup in the morning in the microwave and take to work. The food flask even has a proper spoon in the lid so you don't have to worry about how you will eat it, and it keeps food hot for about 7 hours.

I was always put off SW because of having to take lunches to work, but it's actually pretty easy.

Today, I had left over Vegetable pakoras (recipe online), home made dip made from yoghurt with mint sauce, and a load of salad amd pickled red cabbage. It was lovely!

I'm going to make up some couscous tonight for tomorrow!

Rattybabe said:
I was always put off SW because of having to take lunches to work, but it's actually pretty easy.

Today, I had left over Vegetable pakoras (recipe online), home made dip made from yoghurt with mint sauce, and a load of salad amd pickled red cabbage. It was lovely!

I'm going to make up some couscous tonight for tomorrow!

Yeah I really struggle as we don't actually get a break it a quick 5 mins between changing trains and dont have access to a microwave at all now so it's 12 hours and I seem to struggle for what to take in that easy to pick/ grab at quickly which is why I though green /red day the extra he's will help for extra bread or cereal bars

Isn't that illegal?! Employers are legally required to provide you with breaks, number and duration dependant on length of shift.

PatchworkPuss said:
Isn't that illegal?! Employers are legally required to provide you with breaks, number and duration dependant on length of shift.

I thought this too! Unless you're only working 4 hours you are supposed to have 30 mins min i think

Yeah what they say to us is technically our break is between changing trains but it doesn't always work like that so I start at 11.18 have to get on train and set it up then it leaves at 11.48 get to London at 14.03 have to clear it off then re set it up them change trains reddy to leave again at 15.03 get to birm at 4.30 then I have an hour then till 5.30 so that is when I have my tea but there's no mess room I just sit on the platform eating my tea so a food flask would be ideal if it would stay hot for long enough then I get to London at 7.30 and leave again on my train at 8 lol so I don't stop all day x

teen said:
I dont get breaks in my job I just have to have Breaky dinner or tea when ever If I am having my tea and a residents need something Tea goes down and I have to help

Again - totally illegal!!!

I don't get breaks either, I take breaks with my current SU but I work alone so cannot leave him. Tomorrow I do 15 hours I start at 7am We will have a sit down at 11am ish he has biscuits I have tea , then after he has lunch I have mine. Mid afternoon we sit down and watch tv for an hour. I have my tea after he has his, then we watch tv whilst I do the ironing. At 10pm he goes to bed and I have a longed for extra strong cuppa. Then I go to bed, following day the same only I finish at 4pm. Then two days off.

So I build my breaks into my day. However just remembered tomorrow we have to get car fixed, and hydrotherapy in the afternoon. So will struggle to fit breaks in!

When I managed the Post Office I was there 9 hours and paid for 7.5! At least I get paid for all the time I'm on shift now.

kingleds said:
I thought this too! Unless you're only working 4 hours you are supposed to have 30 mins min i think

It's actually even worse than this!
The law is under 17's get 30 mind for every 4.30 hours. 18+ and it's only 20 mins for 6 hours. So if it's an 11 hour shift which my darling manager gives me all the time you get an amazing 20 mins.
I don't usually bother.

Shirleen said:
I don't get breaks either, I take breaks with my current SU but I work alone so cannot leave him. Tomorrow I do 15 hours I start at 7am We will have a sit down at 11am ish he has biscuits I have tea , then after he has lunch I have mine. Mid afternoon we sit down and watch tv for an hour. I have my tea after he has his, then we watch tv whilst I do the ironing. At 10pm he goes to bed and I have a longed for extra strong cuppa. Then I go to bed, following day the same only I finish at 4pm. Then two days off.

So I build my breaks into my day. However just remembered tomorrow we have to get car fixed, and hydrotherapy in the afternoon. So will struggle to fit breaks in!

When I managed the Post Office I was there 9 hours and paid for 7.5! At least I get paid for all the time I'm on shift now.

Yeah snap I get paid for the full 12 hours I'm in work !! :)

r place is the same as others uve got to work at least 6 hrs for 20 mins and 11 - 12 hrs for half a nour : / shocking i dont bother either unless i sneak a fag break in and thats just for ten mins x

As I work 12 hours days twice a week am thinking will do green and red days on them days for the extra he's as I don't have time to cook in work as we don't get set breaks so I can just take sandwiches in just wondering can someone explain the plan to me as I haven't done green & red I'm normally a ee girl !!
Thanks oh did do a search but couldn't find it anywhere :)

Thanks for posting this as im EE too and didnt really have an idea about red or green days!!

I tend to munch on mostly veg and fruit as im still fairly new an a bit wary on certain foods!

Back