Can too much water affect weight loss?

Blue Butterfly

Gold Member
I've recently upped my water intake to 4+ litres, I feel much better because I'm drinking more. I find I get really thirsty while doing exante.

Anyway, in other parts of the forum (the other vlcd's) I have noticed a few times that people have said drinking too much water actually stops them losing weight.....is there any truth in that? Can drinking too much water really affect your weight loss in a bad way?

I think it depends on the person.
The more I drink the more I shrink if I'm 100%

But if I end up eating something I hold more water.

Also don't drink over 4 litres. That's not good

This is interesting cause I had a sneaky peek at the scales this morning and have so far only lost 1lb this week. I have until Sunday for weigh in so I'm hoping it'll at least go to 2! I've been drinking plenty but perhaps this is the problem. Also, I think I might be having too much of it as coffee as opposed o good old water. I'd be glad to hear whether anybody else is finding this to affect weight loss.

I had Nosey around at people's signatures and it seems that week 3 loss is a little smaller (generally), I guess cause its evening out. I'm also wondering if it's because week 2 I stayed away from the bars but this week I've had to eat them as otherwise I'll be left with nothing but bars! (I got the month bumper pack).

Crazy, crazy weight loss huh? If only it was as easy and fun to get off as it was to get on ;)

L xox

I drink a lot more litres than that, as long as its spread over the day its fine. And my weight losses r very good. I can drink 1 litre at a time. X

I defo think "the more you drink the more you shrink" , I do not drink enough *smacks hand* x

I'm not too bad on coffee, just actually water! Oops! I've tried to rectify that today. Had at least 2 litres of actual water and about 4 coffees. I'll get another 800ml or so of water down me before bed!

I find it really easy, especially now the weather is hotter. I wake up at about 7am and go to bed at 1/2 am and spread my water through the day, I dont drink it all at once!
Is drinking more that 4 litres bad then?? Why is that?

I drink 4.5 litres water on it's own, plus I have another litre as extra in my shakes (300-400ml extra in each one) If too much is 'bad' for me I'll cut down!

When I started LL the 'rule' was drink 4 litres a day but at some point (i think because of bad press when people drank too much and died!) they changed it to drink to thirst but about 4litres a day sipped throughout the day encourages good weight loss.

I hardly ever manage this but the weeks in the past when I have made it to 4 litres every day i've had good losses and i've been told if you don't drink enough your body can't perfore processes (like breaking down fat) which are essential to weightloss.

Back