can you eat too many eggs?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I find eggs great I have omelettes, boiled, poached, scrambled but am I eating too many. I have 10 a week sometimes more.

Is there a limit to how many you can eat?

The sw literature recommends 10 a week max because of the cholesterol levels. But that's a guideline only.
I get through lots of eggs too, they are filling and sooo versatile

my sw consultant said limit eggs if you have high colesterol but if not have as many as you want, i normally have around 10/15 a wk, when i make omellete i use 3/4 eggs at a time

The sw literature recommends 10 a week max because of the cholesterol levels. But that's a guideline only.
I get through lots of eggs too, they are filling and sooo versatile

Is that current info, none of my books say that.

I thought the cholestrol thing had been blown out the water.

I hope so, fingers crossed.

Lord that sounds a lot. Then I added up just how many I eat in the average week and would say it was between 10-15 per week. More if I make a quiche!:eek:

Hi big bear,

According to the Food Standards Agency there is no upper limit on the amount of eggs consumed in a week. Unless you have high cholesterol in which case they recommend that you discuss with your GP.
I don't know what SW suggests though. Hope this helps.

I must admit, I only use one yolk and the rest just the white of the egg when I make ommeltte etc, I think I have been doing ww too long lol! Just can't get my head round being able to eat them unlimited!

Eggs are a really good diet food, lots of protein so keep u fuller for longer and lots of nutrients. The yolk is the part which contains cholesterol so if you do have high cholesterol levels I think advice (from doc not sw) is 7 yolks a week, but as many whites as you like but yolks are good, apart from being tasty they contain lots of nutrients. The White is the protein rich part tho... So yeah eggs good.

I do try and watch cholesterol levels so I like to do 2 eggs and a few whites in omelettes and scrambled eggs.

SW used to recommend limiting the number of eggs you eat but there is no restriction any more. I think the advice about cholesterol and seeing your GP is the right thing to do but if you don't have high cholesterol then go for it!

I buy Tesco mixed weight eggs (15 free range eggs for £2.50 - bargain!) and the 2 of us get through a box every week or 2.

I love eggs although the amount I have depends on what I'm eating that week, really though I could have unlimited amounts as we keep chickens, but I would say on average I have maybe four a week. I have had weeks where I've had a lot though and found I get a bit 'slow' in the digestive department, I think the expression is, literally, 'eggbound'! So just make sure you're drinking loads is all I'd say.

My mum has high cholesterol and her doctor told her to have no more than 3 eggs a week. Hers was very high though. My Uncle is the same and has never had a weight problem, seems to run in the family.

JoRoger said:
I love eggs although the amount I have depends on what I'm eating that week, really though I could have unlimited amounts as we keep chickens, but I would say on average I have maybe four a week. I have had weeks where I've had a lot though and found I get a bit 'slow' in the digestive department, I think the expression is, literally, 'eggbound'! So just make sure you're drinking loads is all I'd say.

Ooo I am planning to get some chickens this year... I could do with an egg-pert on them. Would u mind me asking you a few questions??

my new book just advises....
"pregnant women and the elderly and babies are advises not to eat raw or soft boiled eggs"

And it just says you can eat unlimited amounts of them under the free section.

Personally I dont eat many eggs, I have to be in the mood to eat them. Although this morning I did make myself a cracking omelette, it was beaut :D
xxx

Back