Canadian's Weight Loss Diary

Hi Lanarkwitch, thanks for the insight and encouragement. You're right - I should be looking at the big picture. The last time I did this I'd sometimes step on the scale knowing I should see a loss but it would sometimes take a day or two to materialize...water weight, I guess. I will just keep doing what I'm doing and know that I'll see the results in time. :)

One thing I can definitely say that I have identified is getting all your B vitamins, it really helps with the water weight, a major issue of mine and often hides my fat loss, fingers crossed the scale starts going for you x

Hmm thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Weighed in this morning after a DD I was happy with - still stuck at 210. Boo! Will do another DD tomorrow. Haven't been working out much lately because I had a massive blister on my foot and could only wear flip flops. Now that it's starting to heal I'll get back at it. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice cool day so I'd like to get outside mosquito-permitting.

Went for a 45 minute walk. The blister hurt and I had painful shin splints, so not very enjoyable. But at least I did it. It's suppertime and all I've had today so far is a grapefruit so the DD is looking to be a success.

Update:

Food today: a grapefruit, a bowl of asparagus, two oranges and two small biscuits with a slice of low fat cheese.
Drank tea and a decent amount of water.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a break from weighing myself. Based on what I'm doing I should be losing but the scale said 212 this morning! I'm trying to be rational about it - I drank a whole bunch of water yesterday evening, after all, and do feel bloated this morning - but it's nonetheless so, SO discouraging. I don't want to give up on this diet because reading about other people's successes has me convinced that it can work for me too, and it's something I know I can stick with long term. So that's why I may not weigh myself again until the end of the month. In the meantime I need to just keep putting one foot in front of the other - metaphorically and literally - and trust that I'll eventually see the results I'm so desperate for. :(

I'd like your thoughts... I'm seeing mixed opinions about lower calories on UDs. I haven't been deliberately eating below my allotted calories on UDs but I haven't been counting either. On another site I noticed some posters say they didn't start losing significantly until they increased their UD calories. Yet some say if you're quite heavy to start with then shaving off a few hundred calories shouldn't hurt as long as total intake isn't low enough to send one's body into starvation mode. What do you think? I'm reluctant to deliberately increase my calories because I'm scared I'll gain more weight...

I think it depends as far as I can work out the swing should be about 1000 cals so if you are sticking with 500 on DD, then 1500+ on UD but try to not go over your UD numbers, are you 4:3 Canadian or ADF

Ah ok, I think mine is closer to 1200 - 1500. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

The JUDDD calculator suggests 2095 calories on UDs and 419 on DDs. I can't manage 419, particularly because I'm trying to get more fit in addition to losing weight. It makes me feel lightheaded and gives me headaches. I aim for about 600 calories on DDs, which is a number I arrived at just because it feels comfortable and manageable. The JUDDD calculator puts that at about 30% Wt Loss Mode (629 DDs and 2095 UDs). I understand that means I won't drop the pounds as fast as someone who fasts every second day, but I'm okay with that. I'd just like to lose something, LOL.

I do a DD every second day, though I've occasionally slipped up and done two UDs in a row.

I've not been counting UD calories. I just eat the way I typically do. Based on my weight and activity level I'd guess that comes in at about 2000 calories. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if I'm eating fewer calories than that because I think the DDs have caused my stomach to shrink so a smaller quantity of food satisfies me. Maybe I ought to count for a while.

I was fundamentally against counting on UD's as thats one of the reasons I chose JUDDD, but I can honestly see now for at least a month or so I will need to get back in the habit of counting if nothing else just to see how I am getting on calorie wise and it will help pin point any bumps in the weight loss as well, I am really lazy though!

Yeah I don't want to count either! I can deal with counting every second day but every day is too much. I feel like I ought to start taking my measurements in addition to weighing because I've been a lot more active in the past month or two than normal. I wonder if I might be building some muscle and if that might account for my lack of progress. I sure FEEL lighter after a DD, LOL. I'll have to pay closer attention to the way my clothes are fitting.

Is it against the rules to link to another forum? I've found some JUDDD threads that I think are very encouraging and informative. If I won't get in trouble for it I'd love to share them.

Oops, glad I asked then!

I'm enjoying my UD today and NOT counting. But I'm considering completely fasting on some of my DDs if my body can handle it. I'm not sure yet but I feel like I need to do something to get the pounds to melt away. Last time I did JUDDD I lost 8 lbs in the first 2 or so weeks, so I suppose I was expecting the same sort of results this time around.

On a happier note, I've now been at this for exactly three weeks. I've started countless diets since I was probably 10 years old but this is likely the longest I've stuck with any one plan. I'm proud of myself for that and have no intention of quitting now.

I'd also like to start back at C25K as soon as my sore foot allows it. I'll have to start at the beginning again but hey, those extra workouts will be good for me. I'm loving the podcasts I found and having an enjoyable podcast to listen to makes all the difference in the world.

Hi Canadian, I am doing a DD with cream in my coffee only today, I am intrigued by the results people have got from it and I find liquid fasts are best for me, the minute I start eating I want more! Good on you for getting in the exercise I have yet to tackle that issue!

Hi! How did your liquid fast go? Have you done the fasting before?

Today was supposed to be a DD but as soon as I got up I decided that wasn't happening. I don't have any excuse...I just didn't feel like doing it today. I'm ready to get back on track tomorrow though! I've yet to decide if I'm going to do a regular ~600 calorie day or if I'll try fasting. I think the only way I can succeed with fasting is if I find something to distract myself with.

I stuck to the liquids only with all my cals coming from double/HWC, dumped in coffee mostly, I was not hungry at all until well after 3pm, I just had another coffee and bam the hunger was gone again, even this morning (my UD) I didn't eat until well after 11am, scale was down 2lbs this morning, thats the best drop and easiest DD I've had in a good while.

That's fantastic!!! Good for you. :) You've inspired me to try a liquid fast today! I'm going to try the coffee like you said. I'm not a regular coffee drinker and rarely even think of it during the hot summer months but I bet it will help with some of the hunger pangs.

My liquid fast is going very well! I got hungry just after lunchtime so made a big cup of coffee. I usually drink it with half & half but I didn't have any, so added some skim milk powder and cinnamon. I only sipped maybe 1/3 of a cup and was satisfied...plus it didn't taste that great, LOL. I haven't been hungry at all since then whereas on a 600 calorie DD my stomach would be grumbling by now. The real test will be this evening as that's when I usually am the hungriest. But I'm determined to see it through. I'm sipping some water now to fill me up and may have some broth a little later.

I'm also taking a multivitamin today, which I always do on my DDs.

I said I wasn't going to weigh myself until the end of the month and I'm going to stick with that. I'm not sure I'll meet my 10lb weight loss goal for July but I figure if I do a liquid fast every other day for the rest of the month and have reasonable UDs I may come close. So that's the plan. I really want this to be a success.

Update: Did great today! Had 1/3 cup of coffee, 2 cups of hot tea with a bit of 1% milk, 2 cups of chicken broth and a few glasses of water.

Last edited:
I bought whey protein powder today. One serving is about 60 calories. I've never had it before but am hoping adding a bit to a low calorie smoothie will help me on the DDs. Ready for another DD tomorrow! Afraid I may have done some damage today as had fast food and way too much sugar. Oops.

I'm certainly learning self-control on this plan! Unfortunately the world doesn't revolve around my DDs so I just finished making a big lunch for others that I couldn't eat. Normally I'd pop an olive in my mouth, nibble on some cheese and eat any leftover sandwich fillings without a second thought. Not this time. I concentrated on presenting the food prettily instead of the fact that I was making delicious food I couldn't eat. It wasn't so bad. Besides, I can enjoy the leftovers tomorrow if there are any.

Today I had:

2 cups of chicken broth (20 calories)
2 cups of water with lime juice
1 cup of plain water
2 cups of iced peppermint tea
1 cup of chocolate milk with about 1/2 or 2/3 a teaspoon of PGX "very vanilla" protein powder mixed in (about 200 calories)

I waited until 8:30pm to have the chocolate milk and protein powder. When I tried fasting before I had a terrible night's sleep, I think because I was so hungry. The protein powder is supposed to help a person feel full for hours, so I waited until evening when I'm always the hungriest to have it. I used a lesser amount than is recommended because after reading about it online some people complained that it made them feel bloated and unwell. May as well start out slow. It's important to be well hydrated when using it, I guess because otherwise it can cause blockages...I don't know that for sure, it's just what I've read online. It was a good way to make sure I drank plenty of water today.

Back