Canadian's Weight Loss Diary

Feeling good today! Had a fantastic workout and am done with another week of C25K. Drinking hot tea now. Today will be a DD.

Today I had:

- 2 cups of black tea with half and half
- 1 cup of green tea
- 4 glasses of water
- About 2 cups of vegetable soup, mostly broth
- A nibble of mushroom omelet

I'm pretty pleased with my DD and today's workout. Even though I went hard, my legs aren't stiff this time and I had no pain today. Usually I workout every second or third day to have a break in between but I think I may do the next C25K interval tomorrow. I love the sense of accomplishment I feel from sticking with it and I'm excited to complete the program in about a month's time!

Yesterday was a pretty reasonable UD. I did another C25K workout yesterday and it went great - no knee pain and kept up a decent pace. I'm feeling it in my legs today, but in a good way! Today is another DD. So far I've only had a little water but I'm going to make a big cup of tea shortly. For someone who never used to have hot drinks much it turns out I'm quite the tea fanatic!

I ended up getting on the scale the other day just to see where I'm at. I'm back up to around 210lbs but I should be back down to 206lbs (and then, finally, below 200) soon. Interestingly, my weight went up by almost 2lbs the morning after my DD. I'm not bothered by it as it must just be my body hanging onto water weight or something but I thought it was odd!

DD food today:

- An entire can of spiced, diced tomatoes, which came in around 300 calories
- Lots of tea and some water
- A banana with peanut butter and honey on it

I always aim to stay under 600 calories on DDs. By my guess I was pretty close to that today - maybe slightly over. I took a day off from working out but am eager to have another C25K session tomorrow. I'm also curious to see what the scale says in the morning.

I did another C25K interval tonight! I usually work out in the mornings but I felt lazy today. Then at 11pm inspiration hit me, LOL. I'm on Week 5 (of 9) right now and am proud of myself for sticking with it. The further I get, the more determined I am to finish the full 9 weeks. "Well you can't quit now!" Tonight was 8 minutes of jogging, 5 minutes of walking and another 8 minutes of jogging.

I weighed myself this morning and after two DDs I haven't had any loss at all. In fact, I was up a pound today! I'm not sure if my body's just protesting and hanging onto the weight for a bit or if I'm not eating quite enough calories on my UDs. Ha, me undereat? That seems unlikely! :p I'll give it a few more days. If I don't see any results then I suppose I may need to count my calories every day for a while.

I just noticed the JUDDD web site says to only weigh yourself twice a month, once at the beginning and once at the end, to avoid frustration. Not what I've been doing! I wonder if I have the restraint to do it LOL. Well, I guess if I can handle DDs then I should be able to handle it too...

I'd forgotten that for the first two weeks of (re)starting JUDDD, DDs aren't supposed to exceed 500 calories. Mine have, although not by a whole lot. That might be part of the problem. I'll be more diligent with my DDs and see if it helps.

My knees have been SO sore ever since my last run. I don't think I'll be able to do it tomorrow as I'm worried about causing serious damage. It's disappointing but the last thing I want to do is cause an injury - I've seen a few relatives suffer through knee injuries and certainly don't want that.

I really want to finish C25K but am wondering if I'd be wiser to wait until I've taken some weight off to do it. :(

I'm so close to finishing C25K... I hate to throw in the towel now so I'm going to try to keep going with it. I'm going to rest today and get back at it tomorrow. Maybe waiting two days between each session will be kinder to my knees. I'll also try some shoe inserts to see if the extra cushioning makes any difference.

20 minutes jog today. Went slow because that's a long time! Felt good to complete my 5th week of C25K and have absolutely no pain today. Am feeling more optimistic about finishing the program - just 12 more sessions!

Weight is still at 210 but that's to be expected because I had a *very* UD earlier in the week. Am just glad it's not any more than that. Hoping to see the 100s before too long though - was supposed to have been there ages ago!

I've been slipping up lately. Two DDs have turned into UDs because I gave into hunger/cravings partway through the day. I'll try again tomorrow...am planning another run in the morning as well.

Another run done today. My last run was 20 minutes nonstop. This one was broken into intervals of 5 minutes, 8 minutes and 5 minutes. It seems strange to me that as the program* progresses I'm running for less time instead of more, but I guess it's to help build endurance. When I do long runs I go slower to pace myself. When I do short intervals I go harder.

*I looked at the C25K web site and it seems the podcasts I'm using don't follow the plan exactly. But I like the music and commentary so am going to stick with them - a workout's a workout!

Today will definitely, definitely be a DD because I need one! So far I've just had a bottle of water and am not even hungry yet. Hopefully today will be a breeze! :)

Thanks carrot_tit! I would love to move onto the 10k program if I can. I never imagined I'd ever be a runner, so it feels good to be getting close to the 5k goal! :)

I'm struggling today. I haven't had my run and am so tempted to eat. It's not hunger...I think it's just the knowledge that there are all sorts of Christmas goodies in the house right now. It's already mid-afternoon and I've only had water so far. I'm going to do my best to distract myself from eating - I have work to do anyway. Once I get hungry I'll make a pot of coffee. I need to do that run at some point too and working out always seems to curb my appetite a little.

There's no sense in wrecking what still has the potential to be an excellent DD. And I need a DD, not even to lose weight but just to make sure I don't gain after all the Christmas indulgences lately. This is a challenging time of year for me.

Sometimes it feels like I have an impossible amount of weight to lose but deep down I know that's not at all true. I read weight loss forums and see the incredible amounts of weight other people have lost and managed to keep off. If I could just dedicate myself to this 100% for 6 months, all the weight could be gone. Then I'd just need to figure out a way of maintaining the loss (which I suppose is a struggle in and of itself). I've been fighting with the same 50 or so lbs for my entire adult life. It seems like my weight is constantly on my mind and yet I make virtually no progress. It's absurd...and probably something therapy-worthy, ha!

I think the big trick is not to let my motivation wane for too long. I go through periods where I'm on board with weight loss and then other bouts of apathy. It's the latter that cause me to gain weight back and undo all my progress...and I let the periods of apathy go on for too long. Going forward I need to be better about that to try to prevent the backsliding.

It's getting close to dinnertime and I've only had coffee (with low cal creamer) and water today. Distracting myself instead of immediately giving into cravings or temptations helps a lot. I've also promised myself that no matter what I end up doing tonight, I need to account for it here. That's making me think twice about raiding the fridge and cupboards LOL.

After lots of thought I've decided to step away from JUDDD and try something else. I still like the program and may come back to it in time, who knows. Thank you everyone for the info, comments and encouragement and best of luck to all of you! I hope 2014 (whoa) brings you everything you want! :) Happy holidays.

Thanks!

I found JUDDD easier to do in the summer but once the weather turned cold my will power was lacking. I cheated so much that I wasn't seeing any losses and then I gave up and spent much of December eating all kinds of bad stuff. I got all the way back up to 213lbs before I smartened up, ugh. But the good news is I've gotten that nonsense out of my system now.

Right now I'm not following any plan. I'm trying to eat less bread, rice, pasta and potato. I'm not measuring anything or counting calories. I'm also avoiding things like sweets and soft drinks (but I did have pie and ice cream once). I eat until I'm satisfied every day but the big difference is most of what I'm eating is vegetables. I figure it's tough to stay overweight if a person is eating mostly veggies, plus it's healthy!

It's too soon to know if this is going to help me lose weight long term. I may have to make some modifications going forward. But I'm down 2lbs after my first week and I in no way followed my non-plan perfectly. I've been eating all the foods I like but I'm preparing them in different, lower calorie ways. I like to cook and love to experiment with new recipes so it's been nice if not time consuming.

April 2014 update: I'm giving Atkins a go and have a new diary over in that subforum. So far so good. :)

Last edited:
Back