Can't stomach the porridge anymore....advice please!

Lisaberry

Silver Member
Argh, I have just been trying to force down my porridge and ended up singing 'gruel' from Oliver...think that's a pretty good sign I'm not enjoying it! It's frustrating as initially I really liked it.
i haven't got any shakes so I'm not sure what to do...I could start having 2 carbonara a day but that will mean I run out too quickly.
hubs won't let me order any more as he thinks I should start eating again but I want at least another 5 pounds off before I come off exante and move to a low carb diet.

Are there any shakes I can buy in the shops (I can sneak them in lol) that would be ok? I was wondering about Atkins ones?

What about making the porridge cookies with them.

what are you having a day now? i had a couple of shakes left before buying winter warmer and i brought tesco meal replacement bars (chocolate or rasberry ithink) and had them or i had an atkins brownie bar, made no difference at all for me... so if you werent having a bar already you could just buy bars from out and about. if you were to buy another meal replacement check the details- the superdrug one made me really ill (weak etc) but i dont see why the atkins would do the same as its vlc diet and as long as it ssays its a complete meal replacement you should be ok....
Ive only had 2 porridge so far and i find them too sweet so thinking of adding cinnimon, its the pasta thats harder for me to get to grips with its far too salty for my tastes (i never add salt to food normally) my lips were screaming at me to stop eating it lol... xxx

I'm already having a bar so can't do that. The Atkins shakes are meal replacement and are super low in carbs , lower in cals but higher in fat. Not sure if that is anything to worry about?

have ya tried the carbonara packs??? i hate them lol.. but i love the porridge... strange how we all differ in what we like lol xx

Atkins ISNT a VLCD its a ketogenic diet but not VLCD. If its only for a day or so it would probably be ok but you need to remember although theyre a meal replacement Atkins isnt a TFR, so you wont be getting all the nutrients etc you need. Unfortunately its not just as simple as buying another meal replacement shake etc. The ones you get in shops arent meant to be TFR like Exante theyre meant to replace one or 2 meals a day so theyre generally higher in sugar etc too you need to be very careful.

Thanks Starlight...I'm just not sure what else to do...it's even worse at work as without a microwave its even more grim!
Ill cope with the porridge at home but I'm expecting to need exante for another 2 weeks at work so 6 days.

I found myself in the same situation 1 week ago and ended up having to buy another pack...couldn't bear the soups anymore and had run out of bars and shakes the things I had found palatable...

I may have to refeed more quickly than I wanted. As of this morning I'm now 10.5 pounds from goal...luckily I now have to leave work Tom and Tues before I'm due my 2nd pack so can make carbonara at home but I will have to decide what I'm going to do before Weds. Argh!

I experienced the same thing with the Tomato and Basil Soup. I found that splitting the pack in half and adding around 300ml of water to each part, made it much more palatable.

That tomato soup really is nasty! Without a microwave the porridge is like terrible slop, less water and the flavour is too sweet, more water and its just bits floating in a creamy water. Nasty either way!
I just get so hungry at work for some reason, I'm fine at home but can't cope at work!

I just realised porridge is prepared differently from the soups/shakes! I know how you feel; I felt sick at the prospect of having to consume the Tomato soups. Now I split the packs, it is much more palatable - I sprinkle plenty of pepper too. Unfortunately that is not an option with the porridge! Hang on in there, you have done really well!

You can add cinnamon to the porridge, dunno if this will help? Maybe try the tiniest bit of uot chocolate oowder or a spoonful of coffee? Xx

I make the porridge in a very anal way but its soo yummy, I too don't have a Microwave. I pour 125m,s boiled water in a glass jug, then add the porridge oats slowly whilst mixing with a spoon. I then pour into a small milk pan on the hob stirring continuously over max heat until it thickens ( I sometimes have to add a dash more water ) then pour in a bowl. I know it uses a lot of dishes but its the only way to make it in my opinion. Hope that helps. :) well done on doing sooo well. :) xxx

Thanks Carrie! Unfortunately, at work they want us all to buy from the 2 restaurants, sandwich bar or shop so all we get is a tap that does just off the boil hot water. I tried making it in an insulated cup and leaving it for a good while but it didn't do anything. Meh!

Ps Carrie, I always read your diary...well done on your recent good news AND for getting a date night...can't remember the last time I had one of those lol!

i hate the carbonara packs so much they are too salty for me and take ages to get the right consistency.. today i soaked the mix in the boiling water for 5 mins before i started zapping it in the micro.... it was ok but i just cant stand the taste of it yuk yuk yuk. xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Back