Step 1 Sole Source + Carb Junkie Going Cold Turkey

Fay, you are inspiring me to have a go at running! I have always considered myself incapable of running but really want to give it a go.

A friend did the couch to 5k thing and ran a 10k race yesterday in just under one hour. I was so impressed as he always said he couldn't run but has trained himself with the app. And your results are a real inspiration, it does make me want to try it. I keep thinking that the last 9 months have seen me lose 7.5 stones, it would be good to set a challenge to run the 10k next April. Gives me plenty of time to train and work up to it... but I still struggle to see myself running! At the moment I think I would have a heart attack just running for a bus! But... I have been doing a daily workout since end of July last year and stuck with that. T25 is quite hardcore so my stamina is probably a lot better than I think it is.

Speaking of T25, we've just finished the first 5 week segment, final results showed 9cm off my thigh, 6cm off chest and 4cm of waist. Am impressed - especially with the thigh measurement. My size 16 jeans are feeling like they properly fit now, instead of me being shoehorned into them!

x

Fay, you are inspiring me to have a go at running! I have always considered myself incapable of running but really want to give it a go.

A friend did the couch to 5k thing and ran a 10k race yesterday in just under one hour. I was so impressed as he always said he couldn't run but has trained himself with the app. And your results are a real inspiration, it does make me want to try it. I keep thinking that the last 9 months have seen me lose 7.5 stones, it would be good to set a challenge to run the 10k next April. Gives me plenty of time to train and work up to it... but I still struggle to see myself running! At the moment I think I would have a heart attack just running for a bus! But... I have been doing a daily workout since end of July last year and stuck with that. T25 is quite hardcore so my stamina is probably a lot better than I think it is.

Speaking of T25, we've just finished the first 5 week segment, final results showed 9cm off my thigh, 6cm off chest and 4cm of waist. Am impressed - especially with the thigh measurement. My size 16 jeans are feeling like they properly fit now, instead of me being shoehorned into them!

x

That's great! I can't justify spending that much for T25 with the amount I have spent over the last month on new clothes and running gear but it is something that I would love to try :p I'm sure if you have been doing that then you will be able to run for longer than you think! I'm not saying I am a good runner yet...far from it, but the podcasts are really really good! I feel like I am slowly getting better and I know that if I feel like the week was too hard that I can repeat it (which I think I might have to do for week 4). I passed a guy running to work this morning and his t-shirt was soaked...that's where I want to get to...when I feel like my legs hurt more than my chest I think I will be happy :) I have always had lung problems....and naturally my breathing is quite shallow so having to stop that and remind myself to take deep breathes is difficult but getting there....

My goal for this time next year: run 10k in under an hour!!!!

Also....your profile picture update....JUST WOW!!!!! The difference is amazing!!!!

Yesterdays run walk was about 8K in total but split into two: work to the overground = 6K then the overground to home = 2K. No real improvement on the speed front but I did manage to do the whole podcast this time without giving in on the last few minutes so happy about that. Don't get me wrong though I did struggle to get to the end of it but glad I did! Then re-did half of it to get me the rest of the way where I was going!

Hopefully my watch arrives today!!!

I find that I really would rather go for a run than be at work currently :p Can't even go for a run this evening as we have plans to sort out our backpackers insurance for our trip....feeling restless!

Last edited:
Aw, thanks Fay. I met a friend for lunch on Saturday and took a pic and compared it to one we took when I saw her last May - it looks like a different person! Will put the pics on here when I get a minute.

I've found a local beginners running club that is starting end of April. It's run by two women who have each lost around 5 stones but still have weight to lose. They did a local 10k race at the weekend. I am feeling very inspired so have signed up to join the group when it starts. I think I will be better running in a group as I know I will just stop when it starts to hurt if I am on my own!

I have my sights set on a 5K early next year and, maybe, try for next April's 10K that my friend ran at the weekend. I like the thought of setting myself the challenge. A bit like with the weight loss.

You are doing brilliant Fay, 8k is amazing. The whole bit calorie burn appeal a lot too... my friend who ran the 10K burned 1400 calories in his 57 minute run. Impressive!

Hope your watch comes soon! I need to dig my heart rate monitor and watch out for T25, it's just really fiddly to set up. I'm loving the workouts but would love to know how many calories they are burning and what my average heart rate is throughout.

x

Here you go, first pic is last May and second was last Saturday... I'm on the left! x

Attachments

• image-330773884.jpg
    image-330773884.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3518391967.jpg
    image-3518391967.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 76
Thanks Fay, it takes me aback when I see a photo - I guess when you're not looking at yourself you forget that you've changed!

Have a good night out and enjoy playing with your new toy tomorrow! x

Thanks Fay, it takes me aback when I see a photo - I guess when you're not looking at yourself you forget that you've changed!

Have a good night out and enjoy playing with your new toy tomorrow! x

When you see yourself every day it's hard to see the difference sometimes...most days I will look at my tummy disgust at my "pouch" (what my wife...errr...affectionately (?!?) named the lowest overhanging bit - what I guess you can describe as a fat fold where my stomach meets my hips....if that makes any sense at all. One of my big goals is to have gotten rid of it but it doesn't seem to be getting smaller...now I am wondering if it's becomming a skin fold bit from al the weigh loss....only time will tell!

I have decided to send the watch back because i arrived and tried it in the chromebook and it's only compatible with a windows or mac computer, and as we aren't taking either of those travelling with us then it would basically be useless for me in less than two months time. Sending it back and continuing to use my phone instead as I finally put an app on there and it seems to be doing ok. My colleaged hinted that if I keep at it he will make sure that my leaving gift (not that I expect one) would be a running watch so in less than two months I could have one anyway...!

How is your week going??

Today has been pretty rubbish...my little sister and mum are arguing as always...the woman who has recently moved to sit behind me talks so loundly on the phone that I have to hear headphones all day but then I feel anti-social with my colleagues...I have to wait around another hour and a half before I can go for my run....then an hour and a bit to get home after that as I am not taking my usual route towards transport home because I am not running on my own....

Just feeling very very grumpy!!!!

Aw Fay, sounds like a sh*tty day for you. I hate it when people talk loudly, it invades your personal space... especially if they have a pitch to their voice that just cuts through everything!

What a pain about the watch - but sounds like you might be getting one anyway, so all good!

All good with me but been having cheat food thoughts today as my OH is out tonight so home alone and can't stop thinking about getting some kebab meat from our local chippy - it is devine and I somehow manage to convince myself it is just protein so not too bad. If I have a treat it's usually that - a mix if doner and chicken kebab meat with salad. No pitta or sauce. But I still know it is bad for me. Will I give in to temptation...??

In other news T25 is going well, oooh and more exciting news than that - I fitted into a pair of Jasper Conran size 16 skinny fit jeans today!!! But... I do look like I'm wearing a pair of jeggings so not sure if it's a good look or not!

You don't need to describe a pouch to me Fay - unfortunately I know EXACTLY what you mean!!

x

Aw Fay, sounds like a sh*tty day for you. I hate it when people talk loudly, it invades your personal space... especially if they have a pitch to their voice that just cuts through everything!

What a pain about the watch - but sounds like you might be getting one anyway, so all good!

All good with me but been having cheat food thoughts today as my OH is out tonight so home alone and can't stop thinking about getting some kebab meat from our local chippy - it is devine and I somehow manage to convince myself it is just protein so not too bad. If I have a treat it's usually that - a mix if doner and chicken kebab meat with salad. No pitta or sauce. But I still know it is bad for me. Will I give in to temptation...??

In other news T25 is going well, oooh and more exciting news than that - I fitted into a pair of Jasper Conran size 16 skinny fit jeans today!!! But... I do look like I'm wearing a pair of jeggings so not sure if it's a good look or not!

You don't need to describe a pouch to me Fay - unfortunately I know EXACTLY what you mean!!

x

Did you give in????? There is a local kebab place near us that has really good food and that's been my weakness recently.

That's great news about getting in the jeans!

On the watch front I have a dilemma:

Suunto lets you plan and load routes onto the watch and it will act like a GPS and direct you around which is great when I am in a new place I have never been and can't read the signs (e.g. China). I would be able to look up where my hostel/hotel is and plan a little route taking me around some local parks and back hassle free. That's the major pro - the con is that to load your routes onto the watch and to INSTALL software onto a Mac or PC, both of which we are not planning on taking on our travels. We would need to find a willing fellow backpacker let us use theirs OR an internet cafe that lets you install software. I don't really want to do either of those.

Garmin running watchs DON'T have the maps/routes functionality at all. BIG NEGATIVE!! However, you can upload your runs using an app on our phone....!

Garmin outdoor sports watch has both the navigation AND the ability to upload/download maps to your watch BUT it's £350+ AND it's not as pretty as the other two :p

HELP!!!!!!!!

How you feeling today Fay?

Nearly time for me to go back to our city! YAY!

xoxo

Less than a week to go right?!? Very exciting. How are you?

I'm ok with the exception of my watch dilemma :-( Not really a big issue but frustrating! Step 3 is going well, really enjoying the food! I feel like I shouldn't be eating so much, yesterday evening I made the chilli from the book and the bowl was full and there was some left!

Went for a "run" yesterday...I use quotes because I went with a friend and it was her first ever run so I didn't go as fast or feel like I really worked out at all...

Less than a week to go right?!? Very exciting.

I'm ok with the exception of my watch dilemma :-( Not really a big issue but frustrating! Step 3 is going well, really enjoying the food! I feel like I shouldn't be eating so much, yesterday evening I made the chilli from the book and the bowl was full and there was some left!

Went for a "run" yesterday...I use quotes because I went with a friend and it was her first ever run so I didn't go as fast or feel like I really worked out at all...

4 more days! Woohoo! I really need to get packing done and dusted but I really can't be bothered lol..
I have a busy weekend getting my hair & everything done. Pampering time.
Glad your enjoying it! My fave thing is my breakfast every morning. Yummmm.
I don't really use the recipe books but I should give it a look. It's just everythings for 2 people and theres just me.

I know I saw about the watch lets just hope thats your leaving prezzie! Good work with the running though! Good work! xoxo

Great...so the more expensive one doesn't do what I want either. So the choice is to buy a new laptop to support the watch that does everything I want it to and the watch (so looking at £170 for the watch + £300-400 for the laptop) but no easy way to upload/download....or just not have a watch. :-(

wow fay look how great you are doing, so impressed, what an inspiration. how do you feel after losing so much? is it weird. im worried i will find it weird lol

Back