Carbs, fat and Gary Taubes analysis

Very very interesting ladies, and sorry not to have been able to get back on the site yesterday (can't believe how fast the work day goes now that I'm busier though!).

I must ponder further. Your ideas re avoiding certain carbs are probably spot on - of course the ones I REALLY want are the ones I should be avoiding, and I actually couldn't care about the others. As for Atkins, I actually (strangely enough!) don't like cheese or fat so... (and I couldn't keep up with the alcohol consumption, haaaaaa!).

I think I'm probably grabbing with both hands onto a possible "reason" whereas most likely many many years of yoyo dieting and privation has messed up my psyche (so I diet or binge) and my metabolism is in pieces. Know anyone else who gains 9lbs in 2 days? After 3 x PPs, just 3lbs to go :D

Very very interesting...; will ponder further :D

I was told that the benefit to exercise during weight loss was that it increases your metabolism and the daily caloric need for maintenance of muscle versus fat. Plus it helps to keep you from getting saggy :)

I strongly agree with this.

Also, in order for exercise to work best - especially in relation to building/strengthening muscle tissue and thus helping your metabolism, you should vary it. I've often read that if you carry out the same exercise and don't include variations, then your body becomes used to it and prepares itself to perform it as efficiently as possible.

However, mixing things up, even if it's just the number of repetitions or adding arm or ankle weights whilst performing cardio (and simple walking can be included in this), etc, can keep your body on its toes and make the exercise so much more effective.

My Pilates teacher says that when you exercise a particular muscle group you should also exercise the ones Thant are in opposition also. Eg if you do a side bend stretch it is important to come back the other way too. Or shrug shoulders forward then circle them back also.

I think varying exercise keeps the mind on its toes as well.

My Pilates teacher says that when you exercise a particular muscle group you should also exercise the ones Thant are in opposition also. Eg if you do a side bend stretch it is important to come back the other way too. Or shrug shoulders forward then circle them back also.

I think varying exercise keeps the mind on its toes as well.

Very good point, Topaz. And always be sure to exercise both sides, left and right, equally in order to develop the muscles as evenly as possible.

Strengthening muscles can also be invaluable towards helping to protect joints and minimise potential injuries.

I definitely do this and ensure I walk with BOTH legs always ;)

This why it's very important to walk around hills in both directions - clockwise first, then widdershins! :crazy:

....so you're not like the Welsh sheep, allegedly with 2 legs shorter on one side than the other!

- from which arose the ancient Welsh craft of hand carving sheep-stilts from ash-wood to assist the lambs on their long hop to market over the border.

Now, alas a lost skill, as welsh farmers have moved to mass produced orange plastic sheep-boots with adjustable platform soles....

I think we've all caught "mad chicken disease" or something from overeating chicken!

Thank you for bringing this forward - it is really very interesting.

I suffer from PCOS and years of fertility treatment (resulting in one very gorgeous little boy :D ) took a real toll on my weight. Being PCOS I'm very aware of insulin resistance and have read up a lot about low gi diets. Fast forward one incredibly mean GP (who told me it's all about input & output and suggested I eat 800 cals a day!) and I was absolutely despairing. The trouble with PCOS is that the heavier you are, the more insulin resistant you are and therefore the harder it is to lose weight and sometimes all you need is an initial 7lb+ weight loss to get things moving, but that alone is near impossible.

Thankfully I since found a nice GP who referred me to a gynae. I begged for Metformin (which he reluctantly agreed), and I also discovered the DD, the combination of which has kick started my weight loss. An incredible 6lbs in 1 week, when before I could starve myself and exercise until I passed out 5 days a week and still gain 1lb.

I am therefore a firm believer that insulin resistance really can play havoc and the medical community need to re-educate themselves out of this "input+output=your fat belly" to the types of food that help lose weight.

I for one plan on losing weight using this method, before I go into conso, following a very strict low GI diet + exercise.

At the end of the day it took the medical community years to agree that not all fats are created equally, so maybe one day they really will come around to the idea that not all carbs are created equally! And who knows, maybe the idea that not all diets are created equally?????

I hate the input/output model, which is always spouted by the young / men / well / 40% of the population who aren't sensitive to carbs.

If it were simply input/output - why would we gain weight with very small natural changes in metabolism, like TOTM, or menopause, or when taking the birth control pill?

Yes, we can all spot the beer belly on the guy who is drinking 10 pints a night - but most of us also have the experience of knowing that we have counted every calorie/point/gram and still the scales sway up and down with no regard to input/output alone.

Back