Cauliflower rice anyone?

mandy296

Silver Member
I remember reading on here about some people making "rice" out of cauliflower, - I tried a search, but only a couple of threads came up, quite old ones, so people might not post on here any more, and didnt really seem to have a method.

So I thought I'd start a new thread to ask the question - how do you do it?

I, perhaps naively, thought it would involve using a ricer - but I boiled up my cauli and drained it then tried using the ricer, but all that did was squeeze out a load of excess moisture in the cauli, then failed to push the solid through the holes, so I just had squashed flat, dry cauliflower! Gave up on that idea and used the unsquashed cauli to make some cauliflower cheese instead (just microwaved with some Low Low cheese spread, didnt check the syns but it was yum!)

But cauliflower rice remains a mystery to me...

Ingredients:

1 head Cauliflower (or however much you want)

Preparation:
To make this dish the most easily and to have it come out the best, three pieces of equipment are very helpful:

- A food processor
- A microwave
- A covered (or fairly tightly coverable) microwave-safe dish

1) Process fresh cauliflower until it is the size of rice, either using the plain steel blade or the shredder blade. Alternatively, you can shred it with a hand-held grater, or even use a knife, if you have the dexterity to chop it up VERY finely.

2) Microwave it in a covered dish. DO NOT ADD WATER. Cauliflower absorbs water like crazy, and the "granules" will become gummy. To keep it fluffy, just let the moisture in the cauliflower do its work.

Carb Count: Each cup contains 5 grams of carbohydrate, about half of which is fiber, for a ECC of 2.5 grams.

Ali XxX

I make this often when Im on a red day, Its Great when my oh is having rice o chips (although he now prefers sw chips) I just use a hand grater to grate a cereal bowl full,two mins in the microwave and its done, dont mind not having "real rice" at all :) and save HexB n syns for other things , Give it a try :)

My hubby cant eat rice so this might be a good alternative... thanks for the recipe

You can always do this and add in an egg and some cooked peas to make egg fried rice. Had it when I was on a fat busting diet and it was really tasty.

I just made my first cauliflower "rice" to accompany a curry as I've had both my HEXB's already today and it was TOTALLY yummy!

Just made it and yum!

Sounds delicious! How long do you microwave it for?

I did put it in for 5 mins. X

Thank you, it was delicious with a aubergine, spinach and chickpea curry:)

Back