caws diary

Hi hun,
What was the mri for?? Hope you are ok.
I presume that is the nurses union or something!! (NMC)
xxx

Ermm, I haven't had an mri Clarri, maybe you misread something ? The NMC is the Nursing and Midwifery Council and you have to be on their register in order to practise :)

Go you on the pound, good work! How much was the fee? (Such a sticky beak, I know) Are you learning heaps at work? Are the people you work with supportive?

The fee was £76, and has to be paid every year ! They are supportive at work (at the moment !!) and I'm not counted as in the staff numbers until the beginning of October so am a spare, which means I can shadow one of the other nurses or the sister or take abit longer doing something.

Will you have to do weekend shifts?

Definitely - am working this Sunday actually. I haven't been given any nights yet but October's rota isn't out yet. I don't mind working weekends actually because we get paid enhancements and the ward is quieter because there's no doctors around !!

Another step towards being fully fledged Caws - it must be very exciting x

Lost another lb, was hoping to shift that 0.5lb aswell but hey ho.

Work's been fine and the other new nurse that I trained with started this week. I'm officially on the NMC register now but I've still got another week of being an extra. Was abit gutted as today is payday and as we started on the 5th payroll thought they'd have it all sorted but they haven't so I'll have to wait until next Friday now :(Mind you the payday after that will on;y be just over 3 weeks away and it'll have extra in so that's something to look forward to !!)

Lol, got hold of payroll eventually (think they've been inundated with calls) and they said I'll definitely be paid on the 31st !! Silly people better mean the 30th !!

Hi Nurse - soon to be fully fledged and paid x

I'za bin paid Gem :D

And I'll get some backpay next month :D

Put on 0.5lb this week. At least my loss is a nice round number now :)

Caws - that must feel great to be earning a proper wage for the job you trained hard for x

Yes thanks Clarri, every day has been a little better, feel abit silly about some of the stuff I don't know (but I'm not expected to know unless I ask, if you get me), keep having to check things but I really like the people I'm working with and definitely made the right decision to go there. Steep learning curve though and am coming home with achey feet but it's all good :)

I've had a lovely day off today. Thought I'd go shopping (I had £60 in M&S vouchers from my birthday in June) and I got 2 pairs of trousers - one was a size 14 :D, black bootleg ones, admittedly they are stretchy with and elasticated waist and the others were a 16, similar style but greyish with slim legs rather than bootleg. Might have to wear them to Brum.

Suppose I better think about tops too although I bought a couple of new ones last week, one in the sale in Tesco's for £7 that I really like might do for Jimmy Spice's :D

Will try and remember to weigh in tomorrow although I'm on an early so will be up and out by 7am. Not expecting a loss though :rolleyes:

Congratulations on the size 14! What is work like, you know, what sort of stuff do you actually do? (I mean I know you are a nurse now, but please supply detail!)

Another 1lb down, doesn't feel like it though and I'm not really a size 14 - just very generous trousers (although it's my tummy that is big as I'm round and my thighs and legs aren't too bad)

Anyway I'm off for 3 days now - had a few 'words' with one of the CSW's Wednesday who was very rude and when I went in today she's told people that I refused to do something and shrugged my shoulders because I didn't care !!!! That wasn't my version of events, obviously but aggravation I could do without (I'm sure she only had a go at me because I'm the newbie, biatch !!).

MF I work in a hospital on a stroke ward (although we get medical patients aswell due to beds being closed and other wards short of beds), we then have to have a massive bed move when stroke patients come in (like yesterday there were 6 so all the medical patients had to be moved out).

A shortened version of my day would be handover of whole ward, be allocated patients (atm between 6-9 but will be 12 or 13), go and see said patients, see if any need feeding by trained staff, give out morning medication, check observation charts, check cathetars are draining and cannula sites are ok, fill in documentation and care plans, speak to doctors if necessary, speak to pharmacist if necessary, make phone calls, do referrals for physio/OT/whoever, depending on the time and how the CSW's have got on doing washes and personal care I'll help them out. Have a break !! That usually takes up the morning so then it's give out lunches and help with feeds, then do lunch time medication, fill in care plans/paperwork and do any wound dressings. You usually have people going for different types of scans and sometimes they have to have trained staff go with them, if you've got someone who's poorly their observations may have to be repeated every half hour or hour so you have to keep and eye on what's happening. The afternoon follows the same pattern really - feeds, turns/repositioning, meds, doctors, phonecalls, paperwork and obviously I'd see or speak to relatives that want info whenever. That, off the top of my head, is a basic shift :)

Last edited:
Good morning Caws - well done on the 1lb x

Back