CBT - anyone tried it?

nerac123

GO GO GO !!
I'm considering going to my GP to refer me for cognitive behavioural therapy, for my issues around food - has anyone had any experience of this - and had success ??

Thank you in advance. x

Think all people could do with free CBT sessions...have covered it in my own training and had some sessions myself. Nothing helps better than really talking about your stuff with a trained counsellor who is focussing just on you. Family and friends can often mean well but CBT consellors help differently ...

I will PM you with something I am going to - well, hopefully, if there is space left....it is in Stockport!

Do it tonight, just leaving office now

Nothing helps better than really talking about your stuff with a trained counsellor who is focussing just on you.

I totally agree!

Thanks scots - look forward to it. xx

Think all people could do with free CBT sessions...have covered it in my own training and had some sessions myself. Nothing helps better than really talking about your stuff with a trained counsellor who is focussing just on you. Family and friends can often mean well but CBT consellors help differently ...

I had 'traditional' counselling for other stuff and the 'weight' issue came up - but i didn't feel it worked too well for me. Talking to friends is ok, but they are either skinny - and I'm jealous, or they are fat and don't encourage and say you're fine as you are (because they are jealous I suppose). Husband is hyper critical sometimes and I get too emotional to talk to him for long - as I'm ashamed and embarrassed.

But yep, talking definately helps - or even typing !

Thanks guys !!..

xxx

hey i have counselling sessions weekly for other stuff and weight, and the first lady i saw i hated, we just didnt click but the lady i see now is so supportive and doesnt poke her nose in or anything , shes brilliant i think you just have to look around... really its working wonders. and its great to see somebody alongside this massive change we are putting our bodies and minds under!!....good luck x

Hi bells
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you get in touch with a counsellor? Is it a private arrangement or through your doctor? It is something that has been suggested to me (only by friends) and as I'm so worried about refeeding it might help me deal with the food demons.

Jon

hey dunlop, both ladies my doctor suggested to me. if you go to your doctor and ask him if he could suggest somebody and tell him why im sure he will be more than supportive!...it really is a good idea, i cant stress it enough, and as we are all here losing weight there is defo underlying issues that we have to deal with,so its best to do it all in one go. and what better time to do it than when you are refeeding and relearning everything!...anyway i could go on for ages..best bet is to go to your doctor and ask there, or go down to the nearest hospital and ask someone there......best of luck..its a really good idea and worth it for sure! :) x

Thanks bells - will phone the docs today.

Jon
xx

What kind of things do they tell you?

Cus to be honest... I think im just greedy and dont seem to feel full ever lol!

its not so much what they tell you but you talk to them about yourself and what makes you want food. and over time when you tell them about your day or week etc they pick out stuff and talk to you about it. as long as your willing to open up to them you really start to learn alot about yourself.. hope thats ok..x

What kind of things do they tell you?

Cus to be honest... I think im just greedy and dont seem to feel full ever lol!

Seriously chelly you crack me up!:8855:

Bells for someone so young you have a very mature head on those shoulders, it's so nice! :)

Back