CD and Hypothyroidism - contra-indicated?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by RuthG, 8 December 2009 Social URL.

  1. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    I may have to be treated for an underactive thyroid. Will I be able to do CD?
  2. Avatar Matched Content

    Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. KD

    KD Gone fishing

    Yes, you will be able to do it, but if you receive medication for it, you will need to get a doctors signature.

    I have an underactive thyroid. It wasn't a problem :)
  4. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    It's ok, just found it on the website.
  5. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    Oooh, crossposted.Thank you!
  6. coley144

    coley144 Creating my life

    You already know the answer but I have an underactive thyroid and am on CD.
  7. Aseyan

    Aseyan Full Member

    I actually am being treated for an underactive thyroid but that's because my thyroid was killed off after being hyper! But as a side note, CD doesn't seem to have any effect on the hypo and medication side effects which is what I was worried about. Incase you happen to think of it!

    Another thing to keep in mind, I'm assuming you're taking the same type of medication as I am and with the replacement meds, you cant take them within 4 hours of taking any vitamin. I take the replacement at night and just make sure I don't drink a CD shake after 6pm-ish since it does have a decent dose of calcium.

    Perhaps I'm being too careful but I'd rather be more careful with it.
  8. Caz

    Caz Slimming down the aisle

    Like the others, I'm on meds for an underactive thyroid and did CD fine.
  9. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    thanks everyone. My Thyroid stimulating hormone is technically sub-clinical, so it is raised, but they may not treat it. I am symptomatic with it though....
  10. coley144

    coley144 Creating my life

    So's mine. When I was diagnosed my TSH was 2.6. GP refused to treat me so I went private. Cost me £3 a month for tablets and £25 for appointment.

    Then I got my GP to refer me to hospital (NHS). Consultant said I should have been referred all along and that NHS would now treat me. Because I'm trying for a kid they want my TSH under 2.5.

    Long story short - I was symptomatic too.
  11. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    Oooh, Coley, that's really intersesting to know. The only reason my TSH was tested was because I need fertility treatment...
  12. coley144

    coley144 Creating my life

    If your TSH is over 2.5 then you should be treated if you are trying for a baby. My consultant is the toughest in the country (honestly he is!) and even he agrees. If your TSH is over 5 then there are risks of miscarriage and mental retardation. It isn't worth messing about with.

    Thyroid issues can also affect fertility. I have Hashmito's and there is some evidence that the active antibodies can affect your ability to get pregnant. I'm still trying to get a straight answer on that one but its not a problem to ignore.

    PM me if you want any more info. x
  13. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    Coley, you have mail, thank you x
  14. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    Gah, had another blood test this week, my TSH is now 9.1....
  15. coley144

    coley144 Creating my life

    Surely that is treatment level? Especially for fertility reasons.
  16. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    I'm waiting to speak to the nurse at the fertility clinic at the moment....

    I'm just relieved that they've 'found' something!
  17. Porgeous

    Porgeous Chilling

    No advice on the fertility side but I have also just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and I understand anything over 4 is considered to be hypothyroid and in need of meds.

    Hope you get things sorted.

  18. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    Nurse was useless. [bangs head against a brick wall...]

    For fertility treatment purposes TSh should be between 1 and 2.....

    How recently have you started meds? have you noticed a difference?
  19. coley144

    coley144 Creating my life

    Either see a doctor or request a referral to the hospital. My TSH is lower than yours and I am seen every 6 weeks at the hospital.
  20. RuthG

    RuthG Gold Member

    It was my fertility doc that requested the bloods, thats why I went down that route. My GP isn't that fantastic, and is likely to laugh me out of the surgery....
  21. coley144

    coley144 Creating my life

    You'd have to hope the GP would be better than that! Try and if that fails complain to the Chief Exec of the PCT. If THAT fails contact your MP and get them to complain to the GP and PCT. Then you'll definitely get treated!

    I used to work as a complaints manager at a PCT so believe me I know what works.

Share This Page

This site uses cookies and its third-party providers also uses cookies. By using this site you agree to this notice and understand why we have cookies.