CD V's Atkins

Hi everyone, can someone explain to me?

If both of these diets take you into ketosis, shouldn't the weight losses be similar, my friend thinks I'm stupid doing CD when I could do atkins and still lose the same amount of weight because you go in to ketosis? Is that correct, also my friend is doing CD and she adds Atkins meals in now and again when she is struggling and she still stays in ketosis? Is this all correct? Could you really eat bacon and eggs, steak and still lose the same weight you would on cambridge?

Just interested????

I think that Cambridge is more nutritionally balanced than Atkins. I'm not sure if the weight loss rate is the same, but how healthy could you be living off bacon, eggs and steaks? At least with Cambridge on the higher plans the food you eat is also healthy. How can she say not to do Cambridge when she herself is doing it? I say if Cambridge is something you want to do, then go for it! Don't let anyone stop you from doing something good for yourself.

sorry I didn't make myself very clear, one friend is doing purely atkins and is in ketosis and another is doing 3 shakes a day on CD and a atkins meal in the evening and is still in ketosis, I'm just really interested in the "science" of it all so to speak! xx

The science stuff is difficult to explain but I do know that the Atkins diet lacks vitamins and fibre.

Is it maybe to do with the fact that your eating more calories on aitkens?
I.e cambridge has both very low calorie intake and ketosis which makes for fast weight loss, whereas aitkens has ketosis but not the low calorie part so therefore weight loss is slower.
that was just a stab in the dark i don't know if thats how it works or not :D.

Yes, ketosis happens during Atkins and Cambridge, but it isn't really ketosis that makes you lose weight.

Ketosis will help you eat less calories, and when you eat less calories, you will lose weight. Ketosis will also help you lose fat, rather than too much lean.

So what is the difference?

Cambridge is nutritionally complete, so you will be sure to get everything you need. Atkins will depend on your food choices.

Cambridge is a very low calorie diet, so you are guaranteed to lose weight....and quick. Atkins, well, your weightloss will depend on how little you eat.

You eat too much on Atkins and you wont lose weight.

Not knocking Atkins. Some people prefer to chose their own low carb foods and bear with the slower losses.

Cambridge SS takes food out of the equation, making it much easier for some of us to stick too...and with the quick losses gives us the motivation to continue.

thanks for all your replys so have about combining 3 shakes with one atkins meal like a mushroom omelette, this is what my friend is doing and she seems to be doing quite well with the losses, but cambridge don't allow eggs do they :( xx

You do Cambridge or you don't, if you want to do a Cambridge plan with food talk to your CDC, who will advise you on the correct plans and stages to work out. What works for your friend might not work for you.

The lower carb meal won't kick you out of ketosis per se (as long as its below a certain number of calories), and the lack of carbs won't bloat you BUT will still add to your calorie intake, making your net weight loss less

E.G as I understand it, I could have 100 cals of chicken or 100 cals of bread, both have 100 cals in them and they will affect my weight loss the same way, the carbs however will retain more weight in water as glycogen binds to 3-4 times its own weight in water. The water weight will come off though, but if I repeatedly do this my net weight loss will suffer either way.

The reason why both diets take you into ketosis is because they are very low carb. Atkins if followed correctly is nutritionally complete however many people have the perception that its just eating high protein foods where in realaity it is about eating a combination of veggies and proteins.

Before coming on CD I was doing the atkins and I had to eat the minimum of 12-15 net carbs from veggies and I swear it was the most veggies and salads I had eaten in my life…

I agree with KD, CD takes food out of the option which is why I switched the temptation of nuts and cheese is a big weakness and I would eat more than my daily allowance.

I found I have been losing weight a bit quicker on CD and I plan to stick to it to lose all my weight but for long term life style I am going to go low carb as I that’s what works best for me.

But its best to find what works best for you as it might be low cal or something else

The reason why both diets take you into ketosis is because they are very low carb. Atkins if followed correctly is nutritionally complete however many people have the perception that its just eating high protein foods where in realaity it is about eating a combination of veggies and proteins.

Before coming on CD I was doing the atkins and I had to eat the minimum of 12-15 net carbs from veggies and I swear it was the most veggies and salads I had eaten in my life…

I agree with KD, CD takes food out of the option which is why I switched the temptation of nuts and cheese is a big weakness and I would eat more than my daily allowance.

I found I have been losing weight a bit quicker on CD and I plan to stick to it to lose all my weight but for long term life style I am going to go low carb as I that’s what works best for me.

But its best to find what works best for you as it might be low cal or something else

Fab post. People hear Atkins and immediately think Bacon/eggs. Yes you can have these on Atkins, but Veggies/Salad are far more as important and this is stressed. Eggs are to be kept under a certain amount too. Atkins is nutritionally complete if done correctly as you say, but the temptation with Atkins is to have that extra piece of Bacon or Egg or steak for example. When you read 'unlimited amounts of .........' this is when Atkins is tough, because no matter how well meaning you start out, its easy to fall on Atkins.

Cambridge will give you quick results....no thinking involved if you are ssing, which for me is FAB and you know your body is getting everything it needs to survive.

I lost more on CD/LT then Atkins and I'm sure its down to Calories. Yes you will lose on Atkins even if you eat lots as you are burning your stored fat for energy and once in ketosis you CANNOT add to that fat, but the weight loss is slower for sure!!!

I lost 3stone very quickly on atkins and my diet consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, steak, beef burgers, weight watchers bread (2 slices a day) sugar free jelly and squirty creme.

No veg and i found it quite easy

That not Atkins though is it Trotter?

Bread not allowed on induction
Theres a complete lack of veg in your diet
Very unhealthy.

OnAtkin you should get most of your carbs from green leafy veg and other allowable vegetables.

i think half the joy in CD is that the food bit is all worked out for you....the problem with being overweight in the first place (for me anyway) is no control over my portion sizes....and that would still be the same for Atkins.
If you have an emotional problem with food or portion sizes (irrelevent of th science bit), then CD is better than Atkins as its all taken out of your hands.
xxx

Back