CDC please read me! Second thoughts about 810 - confused :(

Laura Croft

Happily maintaining
Urgh I'm so confused.

I always thought that being in ketosis was very good when on a VCLD as it means you are burning body fat as energy. However on 810, very few people are apparently in ketosis. Therefore, I don't understand how a LCD can still be good for you. I realise the losses are pretty similar but I just don't get it. Any tips people?

I think I'll have to go buy some ketostix to test for myself, and I know if I up the exercise, then that increases my chances of being in ketosis but is it really healthy to be on a LCD and not in ketosis for 2-3 months?

I guess the body is running on glycogen if its not in ketosis but surely the glycogen has to run out at some point. Then what happens?

Ps would really appreciate if a CDC could answer this question :)

Last edited:
doesn't ketosis just stop you from being hungry? not being in ketosis shouldnt stop your body from burning fat...am i right?

Yeah, I think so. I think it's just where you won't be hungry, but should lose weight all the same.

However on 810, very few people are apparently in ketosis.

Who said that? I think the majority stay in some level of ketosis :confused:

Therefore, I don't understand how a LCD can still be good for you. I realise the losses are pretty similar but I just don't get it. Any tips people?
It's fine because of the higher level of protein to spare the lean mass, and also because of the 100% rda, enough carbs, enough fat etc etc.

but is it really healthy to be on a LCD and not in ketosis for 2-3 months?
The problem with low calorie diets (under 1000 to 1100, is that with 'normal' food it's hard to get enough protein, vits and minerals in. Cambridge sorts that.

The great thing about ketosis is that it blunts hunger making SS and SS+ more possible.

I guess the body is running on glycogen if its not in ketosis but surely the glycogen has to run out at some point. Then what happens?
Then you go into ketosis :D

Ps would really appreciate if a CDC could answer this question :)
:)

Thank you KD :) You are the bestest.

PS. It was a CDC that told me about people not being in ketosis on 810, and actually the CD booklet says that most won't stay in ketosis as well.

I bought some ketosis sticks today and would be about a .1 so it's pretty low but I'm there. Also, I'll be starting to exercise again now so that should drop away any residue glycogen. I really thought that weight loss was faster in ketosis till you told me otherwise. However I understand now that the reason we are still safe on CD is because of the packs and vits/minerals. Thank you!! xx

I'll be starting to exercise again now so that should drop away any residue glycogen.

Go careful now ;) Gently bently and all that ;)

I really thought that weight loss was faster in ketosis till you told me otherwise.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about ketosis. I actually hate being in ketosis, so avoid it at all costs :D

Thank you!! xx

You're welcome :)

I know I am being nosey here...but why do you hate being in Ketosis? :D

Something to do with making me feel crap and brain fuzzled.

Would have struggled to do SS for so long without ketosis as it helps with the hunger. Was glad to get out of it though.

I know I am being nosey here...but why do you hate being in Ketosis? :D

Yeah I'd like to know that too.

I'll be careful on the exercise - that's one bit I'm good at controlling as I do heart rate stuff.

Just to add here, that most people feel good in ketosis.

I feel great when I've had loads of carbs. Very energetic even euphoric.

Similar to when you're a bit tipsy. I usually react well to carbs.

Couldn't concentrate...had to come back to this one :D

PS. It was a CDC that told me about people not being in ketosis on 810, and actually the CD booklet says that most won't stay in ketosis as well.

Ummm...yeah well. usually anything under 100g brings on some level of ketosis, though people do vary somewhat. For those that try to stay out of ketosis, they need to do at least 115g to be sure. As for the 810, well, it really does depend on what you chose (re my message on the other thread).

If you have the lower carb proteins with veg, then you'll probably have similar carbs (which is the biggest influence on ketosis) to SS+ with 4 shakes and milk. Nobody ever seems to be concerned about coming out of ketosis on that.

I bought some ketosis sticks today and would be about a .1 so it's pretty low but I'm there.
Cool, though I never did get why people use the stix. Guess it's the fun of getting soggy fingers :D

I was going to say PMSL at the soggy fingers but I think that would be slightly inappropriate.

Until today, I had this image of ketosis being a much better and faster way to lose weight in comparision to a LCD hence I really wanted to achieve it. However you've put my mind at rest so now I have 99 ketosis sticks going spare. LOL Seriously, I'm very number and target oriented so it kind of amuses me.

so I guess ketosis was going to be a sign that the diet was working.

Though being in ketosis doesn't necessarily mean you are losing fat. Eat too many calories and you can put on fat, just like if you weren't in ketosis.

I'm now a .15 - yep I just tested again.

LOL. I'm like that about numbers, though never with ketostix. I do have 1 trillion excel sheets though and can only do any home work with a timer complete with 10ths of a second on it....oh and a spreadsheet to record how long it took.

Though being in ketosis doesn't necessarily mean you are losing fat. Eat too many calories and you can put on fat, just like if you weren't in ketosis.
Understood. I hope I'm on the right track by saying providing there's enough fat storage, we will lose fat. It's once there's less fat to go that we lose more muscle mass. Or of course the alternative if I ate a pound of butter I'd still put on weight. Low carbs but v high fat.

LOL. I'm like that about numbers, though never with ketostix. I do have 1 trillion excel sheets though and can only do any home work with a timer complete with 10ths of a second on it....oh and a spreadsheet to record how long it took.
Ha! I really relate to that. I've made a chart for my weight loss (well another one :rolleyes:) but there's a bit of a hitch because I don't want to know right now how much I weigh. I know providing I stick to 810 the weight will come off and once my clothes start fitting better (and the smaller sizes *cough*), I'll start weighing again. Or I'll weigh if I'm thinking about going off track and that should scare me senseless :D:D:D

Its thanks to KD that I stopped using the ketostix, my stix never showed pink unless I tested first thing in the morning, after that they were always beige and I was paranoid about it, testing about 3 times a day, KD told me it didn't matter that I would lose weight, so once my pack of stix run out I didn't buy anymore, and as I was always permanently hungry even when I should have been in ketosis, it didn't really matter to me whether I was or not, so haven't tested for about 3 months... lol

I didn't use the sticks when I was on SS, weirdly enough. When I wrote that post this morning, I thought ketosis was something I should be aiming for, as though I'd be lucky to be in it being on 810. However I have a whole different perspective now and I'm not going to be bothered now if I'm in ketosis or not.

I'm also not weighing myself at the moment so I needed a sign something was working (noting also KD's comment about being able to still put on fat and be in ketosis if I were to eat off plan).

I'll no doubt keep testing 'just for the fun of it' to see how my results vary over the next month or two, or until the novelty wears off. I'll also be interested to see what happens when I get closer to target weight.

Back