CDC - should this be allowed?

TrueBlueAngel

I WILL be thin!!
My CDC came early to drop off my shakes, etc, instead of when I was at home like we had arranged. Anyway she left a note (seems its going to all her clients) that from 1st Sept she will no long be delivering due to health difficulties driving and that clients can collect from her place of work. However, she has stated that those who cannot drive, she will deliver at a charge of £2! Surely she cant do this?

She's a nice enough woman, but I rarely get support from her (maybe thats because I have here :D) but its not forthcoming other than her usual 'how are you this week'. She doesnt weigh me, never asks what I have lost, I usually just end up telling her. She's even a CDC who keeps falling off the CD wagon, so to speak. I'm ok with just getting my supplies from her at the moment, but a bit dubious of what support I will need when I decide to move up a step before my holiday (Im quite happy to keep SS-ing for now).
Oh well, as it is, she lives near to me, so maybe she will allow me to collect from there as I've done before.

Yes, she can do that....

Personally, I don't go to people's houses at all... they come to mine or attend where I hire a room to see clients during the week.

£2 delivery charge is reasonable to my mind as it would cost more to post the stuff!

As for falling off the wagon... We're all human, but, it's not an excuse for not supporting you on your personal journey ( I've had it really tough over the years trying to control my weight, but during that time I've successfully helped many clients achieve their desired weight/size) If you are unhappy, then find another counsellor.

Ali, thanks for that. I wasnt sure she could do that, thats why I queried it.

As for falling off the wagon, it does seem to be the norm for her. She's actually larger than I was when I started CD. I suppose when I met her, I was expecting someone who had succeeded with CD which would be inspiring. Still, I'm grateful I was told about here. The successes are inspiring enough, it keeps me going!

I think to be a CDC you have to have a BMI of 28 or under. However, I don't know what checks there are in place if someone puts on a lot of weight and goes above that again.

I do understand your concern. If she struggles as much as she does maybe that's why she offers so little support. My CDC is very open about the fact that there are still times she finds difficult, but she overcomes them. Says that if she can't, then how is she meant to help other people. Which I do understand really.

Mt CDC also struggles herself but to me that makes her human and I know she really understands how hard it can be. We've been motivating each other :) Re the delivery charge seems fair as I have to go and collect mine from my CDC's house.

However what I would say is she should be weighing you weekly and tracking the results and spending sometime chatting with you. Mine gives me a half an hour slot and I take up as much of that as I need to, she is also on the end of a phone anytime I need extra support (though usually get that on here)!

I really like my CDC so guess I'm one of the lucky ones xx

I agree with Lexy. My CDC doesn't do home visits but she runs a very professional service. Allows each client half hour appointments where she weighs me, takes my measurements and has a chat about how things are going. I have been at target since April and still go every two weeks.

I also have a good CDC. She is very understanding and does know her stuff. She doesn't mesure me every week but i do get weighed and its recorded each week, She is very flexable and she will drop things around if her delivery hasn't arrived in time. (I only live 2 streets away from her) She lets me stay for as long as I like really and we can talk about anything.

CDC means CD counsellor not CD courier lol...

we have a responsibility to weigh/ measure and track our dieters weight losses.

i dont personally go to others, i have peeps at mine. we spend ages talking, sometimes up to an hour. i love it, a good ol' chin wag! lol.

i do however drop off items if i run out and need to wait for delivery but i certainly do not charge for that!

the charge of £2 for home visits is acceptable imo.

have a word about the service she is offering as its not thorough enough. she needs to weigh you at the very least!

x

I think to be a CDC you have to have a BMI of 28 or under. However, I don't know what checks there are in place if someone puts on a lot of weight and goes above that again.

I do understand your concern. If she struggles as much as she does maybe that's why she offers so little support. My CDC is very open about the fact that there are still times she finds difficult, but she overcomes them. Says that if she can't, then how is she meant to help other people. Which I do understand really.

In order to BECOME a CDC you have to have a BMI of 28 or below, however it's not possible or legal to require Self employed counsellors to remain at that weight.... it would also be unethical... how would you like it if your employer took you into the office and sacked you because you'd gained weight????

"If you judge people, you leave no room to love them"

(Mother Theresa)

In order to BECOME a CDC you have to have a BMI of 28 or below, however it's not possible or legal to require Self employed counsellors to remain at that weight.... it would also be unethical... how would you like it if your employer took you into the office and sacked you because you'd gained weight????

i see your point and completely understand your point about ethics... BUT its like a lorry driver losing his driving licence. would he still be able to do his job to the best of his ability???

i think we need to be able to practice what we preach. i have gained some lbs but am getting rid of them asap (by ss'ing). if some of my dieters left as i was not inspiring them i would not blame them!

my cdc was super slim and inspired me. if i had been met by a porky cdc would i have had the same success??? i dont know if i would have... :rolleyes:

maybe CD should put in some guidelines, it might stop some cdcs slipping into bad ways and gaining weight. obv if there are medical grounds then that is diff.

i would love CD to threaten me and say if i go over bmi 28 then i am OUT! it would work wonders for me lol :D

like i said i can see your point BUT i can also see how dieters would view a fat cdc, bit of a contradiction i guess. how can we motivate and inspire others when the 'diet' has not worked for us.

just my opinion :eek:

xxx

As we are self employed, we are responsible for our own income...

If your CDC is larger than the client would like then the client is free to seek a consultation with another CDC and therefore take his/her business elsewhere. If this is the case for every dieter that I met I would have been out of business long ago..... Thankfully not everyone is so judgemental, and struggling with my own demons has given me an insight that another CDC in the local area simply doesn't have.... I have aquired more clients via her than I care to mention, because I provide a proper consultation with empathy and real solutions to the problems, because you can guarantee that whatever it is, I've, almost certainly been there and done that ....

Losing your licence is NOT the same as gaining weight.... Last time I looked, being fat is NOT against law!

`OK, I've ranted and I'm going to stand back now.... Everyone is entitled to an opinion, this is just mine. (Ali slinks off to corner)

Last edited:
sorry to upset, it was just my opinion...

i am not angelic myself, i have gained and lost and gained now losing again. i know from my experience that i feel almost hypocritical telling others how to lose weight and maintain when i cant do it myself.

it is great that your business is thriving... i on the other hand dont feel like i am as enthusiastic or positivie when i feeling down about my own weight. hence the ss'ing and getting back to goal and below.

then with renewed enthusiasm i will be a better cdc than ever before!

dont get me wrong i love my ladies (and guys) and they love me!!!
but i feel soooo much better about EVERYTHING (cd included) when i am smaller. i guess that will rub off on my dieters too.

good luck with your demons, hope you get to grips with it all and have a fab loss this time round. like i said i didnt mean to upset but i can see it from both sides. maybe this is a bonus as i hate meeting new people and for them to look me up and down and *possibly* think 'why is she a cdc???'...

onwards and downwards, best of luck! xxxx

ps hope there are no hard feelings x

"If you judge people, you leave no room to love them"

(Mother Theresa)

I'm not judging anyone, and I didn't say that I was. I merely pointed out that I think there's a BMI restriction to become one, but don't think that there's anything that says they have to stay within that.

If it's so unethical... why have that there in the first place? It's there for a reason.

I didn't say that people should have to stay within that. But I do think that as an ambassador of CD, if you get to a BMI of under 28, become a CDC but then your BMI goes up to say 35 or 40, then you have to wonder how well you're promoting it as a diet.

If my job was related to weight, then I would understand it. If I was a personal trainer/fitness instructor but became overweight and unfit, then I would expect that to be raised by my employer. Because it has a direct influence to do with what I'd be doing.

It's like, if I'm going to a hairdressers, because I'm so funny about them and terrified they're going to destroy my hair, I will look at them. If they have nice hair, even if I don't like style, cut, colour whatever, then I feel more at ease with them.

Would you trust a hairdresser who has terrible unkept hair to do your hair? Or a fashion expert who wears horrible, baggy clothes that doesn't suit them at all? I don't think you'd want to be styled by either of them. And in a way this is the same. You look to your CDC to see that this diet works. I don't expect my CDC to be super human. I don't expect her to never have blips. But if she as a CDC puts on that much weight, then it makes me doubt this diet. And the maintenance aspect of it.

Would you trust an ICT teacher who completely lost touch with their curriculum and didn't know how to use any recent programs that need to be taught as a part of that?

Or a driving instructor who has really bad driving habits? Because as an instructor, they're teaching someone to do something which they'll be doing for the rest of their lives. So they're meant to teach them the right way. If the instructor constantly pushes the limits and boundaries, then they're probably not the best person to teach someone else, because you learn that too. Or it's easy to.

Or a church minister/vicar who goes out every night, gets drunk, sleeps around, swears etc? None of these are illegal, but none of them fit into what they are meant to be promoting. And that's what it's like with being CDC. You're promoting a lifestyle, if you yourself cannot live within that to that extent, there is a question to be raised, in my opinion.

I just have to wonder, can you really teach what you don't know? And if you really know it, would your weight go back up that much? If it does, I think maybe they need some support too. But my CDC herself said that if she can't support herself, how can she be expected to support others.

I'm not judging anyone. And I'm sorry if it came across that way. I understand as well as anyone what it's like to struggle with weight. But I personally at this time wouldn't become a CDC, because I'm not there yet. And if I did get to goal and become a CDC but struggled so much that I went back to what I am now, then I would have to wonder whether I needed a break to sort my own journey out first.

Last edited:
caroline, great post and i totally agree.

i even considered taking a 2 month break from counselling others while i got to grips with my weight gain!

but i figured it would prob be more detrimental to my ladies and their loss than me still seeing them and losing a few lbs myself.

x

I can see everyone's points very clearly. I'm not upset by the comments I understand where your head has to be in order to be successful with Cambridge.

Your first impression of the diet comes from the customer facing representative of the company. Inevitably, some will judge the book by it's cover.

I just wanted to ensure that nobody was under the impression that we were associated with a fascist company!

TBH, in my opinion, losing weight is the easy part, it's keeping it off that's the real challenge!

Just added a bit more above.

I really don't mean to or want to come across as judgemental. I really do know how hard it is. And I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who has lost weight and then trained as a CDC. But I also know what I as someone on this journey needs. A CDC that I can look to as evidence of CD working. Who is still maintaining, even though they have blips. I'm not saying I wouldn't expect a CDC to fluctuate in their weight, it's only natural. But to go up that much, I think I'd start doubting the diet. If my CDC can't maintain, and they're trained in the diet, I'd start to doubt whether I could.

Hmmm....

I'm an old fart, and have been on this earth long enough to know that Driving instructors have terrible habits, but they don't teach them to their students, and it doesn't mean that they won't pass their test 1st time either.

Not being able to teach a curriculum is a disciplinary offence... but it's the responsibility of the Education Authority to provide update training, not the teacher's.....

Sadly there are 1000's of priests, vicars, preachers and pastors who do just that AND much worse on a daily basis throughout their lives.... We only hear about those who are caught/exposed.... It' doesn't mean that they don't absolutely believe what they're preaching, but they're human and therefore sinners, to a greater or lesser extent.

I am taking a wild guess here, but, as you have many of the same viewpoints as my eldest son, that you are at that time in your life where ideals stand for a lot... are you around 21?

I, too felt a lot like you at that age, I had a definite sense of right and wrong.... age and experience have taught me that there are infinitely more shades of grey than black and white and what may seem an 'absolute' now, will become much more blurred in a few years time, when you've been there, done that and worn a good few t-shirts....

But, it's what's important to you now that's important and if you think that your CDC isn't giving you what you need/want then move on, there are plenty of us around, for you to be able to find one that serves you in the way you feel you need.

I agree with Caroline and I am 34 years old - not that I think age has anything to do with the opinion.

I need someone who can prove it can be done. I would really doubt that I could stick to it if the person who was meant to be showing me the way couldn't do it themselves. If they can't, and presumably they have had more support and know more about it than most, then what chance would I have?

well i am 30 next year *gulp* :cry:
and i agree with caroline too.

I'm an old fart, and have been on this earth long enough to know that Driving instructors have terrible habits, but they don't teach them to their students, and it doesn't mean that they won't pass their test 1st time either.

I agree, they might not necessarily, but in a situation like this, it has a bit more impact. A CDC isn't just getting you to goal, it's beyond that too. And if they can't do that, how can they help me?

Not being able to teach a curriculum is a disciplinary offence... but it's the responsibility of the Education Authority to provide update training, not the teacher's.....

Yes, but it's up to the teacher to then do that training. And maybe CD should be supporting their CDCs more in their own journeys? I don't know what support they do offer.

Sadly there are 1000's of priests, vicars, preachers and pastors who do just that AND much worse on a daily basis throughout their lives.... We only hear about those who are caught/exposed.... It' doesn't mean that they don't absolutely believe what they're preaching, but they're human and therefore sinners, to a greater or lesser extent.

Yeah, there are, but that doesn't make it ok. And they shouldn't be in that position if they are. How can it be ok for someone to stand there and promote a certain way of life while obviously not following it at all themselves?

I am taking a wild guess here, but, as you have many of the same viewpoints as my eldest son, that you are at that time in your life where ideals stand for a lot... are you around 21?

Almost 23, yes. But, I don't think that that's what influences my views here at all. And I think I'd think the same if I was 20, 30 or 50.

I, too felt a lot like you at that age, I had a definite sense of right and wrong.... age and experience have taught me that there are infinitely more shades of grey than black and white and what may seem an 'absolute' now, will become much more blurred in a few years time, when you've been there, done that and worn a good few t-shirts....

Believe me, I know that the world isn't black and white at all, but all shades of grey. I know that things aren't as simple and clear cut as we might seem or want. But that doesn't, in my opinion, make certain things ok. I may be 22, but my life experience so far has taught me a lot of things, and I probably have more of it than most people my age. But all that does is make me stand by my opinions more.

I think that sometimes we can easily use the it's complicated, there's no black and white answer here as an excuse, not that I'm saying you are, I think we ALL do it. But actually, sometimes it really is that simple. But it's easier to not face up to that.

I don't think I can follow someone who is meant to be helping me and showing me how to live by a set of guidelines that they themselves can't seem able to follow.

But, it's what's important to you now that's important and if you think that your CDC isn't giving you what you need/want then move on, there are plenty of us around, for you to be able to find one that serves you in the way you feel you need.

Oh my CDC is great, she really is. I'm not saying this all from a view point of her. But it's because I know how she is and how well it works that I'm saying it.

I know weight will be a big thing for most of us for a long time. And I think we need to cut people some slack. But, there's only so much slack. In my opinion.

Back