CDC - should this be allowed?

Like I say everyone is free to choose.... if you need a counsellor that's living proof, then, that's what you seek out.
If not:

There's plenty of proof out there that it can be done!(yourself included! You're looking great btw!)
There's also plenty of people out there who 'prove' the opposite. One may even say that there's more disproof than proof when it comes to ANY diet.

If you everyone who ever lost weight, and successfully maintained that loss, there would be no demand for the multi-million £ business that is the weightloss industry... and those that run it/own it are not immune from regain, no matter what anyone might think. Some, spectacularly more than others.

Hell, Billions of people have an unshakable faith in a God with virtually no real proof of his existence! (I'm not one of them though, so please can I be excused if I've offended anyone on that score:))

I'm 32 and also agree with Caroline and I think that alluding to age as a reason for someone's views is a little condescending :eek:

Anyway, back to the point in question. I thought that the OP said that she wasn't delivering for medical reasons, so why do those reasons disappear if she charges? Bit confused about that. I think it's perfectly fair to charge to deliver.

With regards to weighing, that's the least that she should be doing. I know what you mean about being fine on SS but it's ever so tough working up the levels at times and that's when a really good CDC can help. My last one was on CD, but blipped a lot. It made me feel that the diet must be really tough and almost gave me an excuse to blip.

I gave up smoking and always tell people that it's easy, because it was for me (mostly :)). If people think it's impossible, most people won't even try.

My CDC gained weight because she sustained an injury which caused her to become sedentary. She is now doing SS with me and I love that! She is so caring and listens to whatever I choose to blab on about.

She will drop shakes round to me if I can't get to her due to work. She also gives me little presents when I hit the little targets she gets me (I got a GI cook book when I lost 3st in 9 weeks and a CD computer mouse when I lost 7st in total).

Every CDC is different and every CD follower's requirements are different.

Personally I would hate to sit there with someone skinny looking at me! I would feel awful! Knowing that she is on the diet now makes me feel normal. I know she was successful (she kept her weight off for 3 years before the injury). It's also shown me that CD is literally for life and not just for now. It helps me get rid of any illusion that it will be easy when I have lost the weight.

Sorry, that's just my opinion :p

In order to BECOME a CDC you have to have a BMI of 28 or below, however it's not possible or legal to require Self employed counsellors to remain at that weight.... it would also be unethical... how would you like it if your employer took you into the office and sacked you because you'd gained weight????

i see your point and completely understand your point about ethics... BUT its like a lorry driver losing his driving licence. would he still be able to do his job to the best of his ability???

i think we need to be able to practice what we preach. i have gained some lbs but am getting rid of them asap (by ss'ing). if some of my dieters left as i was not inspiring them i would not blame them!

my cdc was super slim and inspired me. if i had been met by a porky cdc would i have had the same success??? i dont know if i would have... :rolleyes:

maybe CD should put in some guidelines, it might stop some cdcs slipping into bad ways and gaining weight. obv if there are medical grounds then that is diff.

i would love CD to threaten me and say if i go over bmi 28 then i am OUT! it would work wonders for me lol :D

like i said i can see your point BUT i can also see how dieters would view a fat cdc, bit of a contradiction i guess. how can we motivate and inspire others when the 'diet' has not worked for us.

just my opinion :eek:

xxx

I don't know you know - my cdc was considerably larger than I was when I started (and still is) but she's had a very hard time personally recently which she openly admits. As others, we're all human! I was surprised when I met her but it hasn't affected my weight loss or my commitement to it!

To the OP - when (hopefully!) I become a CDC I wouldn't have any qualms about charging postage - you'd pay petrol to get to her if you drove so I don't see why you shouldn't pay that same petrol for her to get to you!

(And I know this contradicts what I've posted above but I really DO agree with caroline - I think if you're a cdc you have a duty to stay slim, bit like I have a coe of conduct for work and can be struck of the register for doing things which could bring my profession in to disrepute.. My cdc isn't actively promoting herself at the moment and almost the first thing she said to me bless her was about her weight and the reasons for it (which I found heartfelt and honest) and that's fair enough. But, on the whole, I do think you ought to stay slim as you're promoting a product and a result so you ought to BE that result too!

Bit of a different debate to the OP though! :D

Need to have my say, not unusual. I agree with Caroline but will say as I have before I cannot fault my CDC. Sue has really walked in my shoes, by some fluke we have simular hobbies and interests and work in sim. environments. She is always at the end of e-mail for me. I go to her house, but I know she does home visits, dont know if she charges. I think it would be fare if she did, with fuel costs etc.
Each to theirown, all I know is I checked out the CD website before I chose to visit Sue and I can only say THANK HEAVENS I DID. Yes I am 'older' than most of you and probably wouldn't have been comfortable with a 'younger' CDC. I also needed to have someone who had lost a sim amount of weight to the amount I have to lose. I got lucky, sim age, sim weight, etc etc etc. She is also a good listener and doesn't heistate to ask frank questions. One of the first things she said was, 'Well how did you put this weight on then'. Brilliant.

Ooooooooooough. I do like a good debate.

I see it from both sides being an ex CDC and now having given it up and gained weight. Personally I've had a few CDC's and some have been slim, others not.

Thing is...it was never about them. It was about me.

It's a Cambridge Diet Counsellor....

(I'm doing a whole week on Counselling this week at uni so this is right up my street this week)

we're supposed to be non-judgemental and not really give our own experiences cause it's not about the counsellor...it's about the other persons issues......

just stirring the pot....:)

Have to admit I remember going to a hypnotherapist in the past for weight loss and was completely discouraged to find she was about three times my size. Although it might have been a personal choice to be that size I still remember thinking if hypnotherapy works for weight loss then why aren't you thin? My CDC has post baby weight she's losing with me, and explained this on my first visit, which impressed me. A previous CDC seemed almost terrified of food and was stick thin and still taking a lot of CD packs as part of her diet years on, and this put me off - so I guess what it comes down to is what is right for each individual. We're lucky to be able to choose methinks :)

Oh coley, this is so boring, but I'm agreeing with you again....yawn :D

I guess if I put it in order of importance (IMO that is)....

1) that they supply the goods needed and give the right info to keep you healthy and make the diet as easy as possible

2) that they are supportive, excited about their clients 'journey', understanding, but not to the point of expecting the client to fail "because it's sooooo hard" :rolleyes: Hopefully intuitive enough to see when they are needed and when they are not or whether the person needs a push or a hug ;)

3) To show they really care and they really want their client to get to goal...and beyond. Not to just be one of a number.

Okay, so where does the size of the CDC come into this? Well, I must admit I have very mixed feelings sometimes...though not often :p

I could sit here so smug knowing that I won the war, so perhaps that makes me a 'better' CDC, but I know that's not true.

I know a number of overweight CDCs that are fantastic at the job. Know their stuff, have all the products, love the job and clients. And they have many successes.

They may not have won their personal war, but that makes little odds. It is about the client. The diet has to work because it follows the rules of weightloss...reduce calories. I think the CDC should show that they have managed to do this to some extent...at least once anyway, to get some understanding of how it feels to do the diet. Other than that, as coley says, it's about you...not them. It's your journey...not theirs, and you can succeed even if they didn't, because the diet works.

Very eloquently put KD!

What I should have said in the first place!!!

:rolleyes: hhmmmm still not convinced that a 'porky cdc' would have helped me personally. but i guess we all have differing needs.... there are so many people ready to criticise this plan for not working/ gain weight as soon as you stop/ cant keep weight off etc etc... i think we must be proof that it works in order to prove them wrong!

it is our duty... lol i LOVE cd ;)

3 cheers for cambridge diet :D

Back