ProPoints Celtic Tiger - A man on a MISSION!!!

Hi calorie crusader, nice to hear from you again. Yep, Denzel is fitting right in. I also have a highly strung dominant female in my life... Babes, my brindle Boxer, so it's very interesting to see the two dogs getting on so well. They brought me for a walk for 35 mins! I've mislaid my extendable lead, so I had Denzel on a short lead, and as he is so long, he was nearly tripping me up. I know he should be walking beside me , not in front of me, but the poor chap has had an eventful enough day without me being harsh on him. They both lapped up two bowls of cool water when we came home and both have retired for the night. Poor Denzel was abused and abandoned. He has been in an excellent shelter since Sept 30th last year, but he has just faded away since then. The poor guy is just a bag of bones. All he needs is a loving family & some TLC and we will have him back to full health. We were out playing ball with him this evening, and he is just overawed with all the companionship and fun so far. He has to thrive here. To see all those dogs who need homes, it's tragic. So if you & your OH can at all manage it, get a dog. Just be careful to ensure that the breed you select is suitable for your home. Some even small dogs require an amazing amount of exercise. We had a Corgi and he ran a perfect circular track around the front garden. I can't imagine what the lawns in Buck Palace must be like??? hehehe

My youngest son is a martyr to these variety shows, Eurovision, X Factor et al. He is rooting for Jedward, but I don't think he was too impressed with their performance earlier, and to be honest, I couldn't care less! I'm listening to Jamey Johnson & Robert Earl Keen these days, and Aslan - Angie , REAL MUSIC from real musicians!

Hi Kernow Jo,
Those plaudits are well earned, you walked the walk as well as talked the talk. Well done. Police phoned earlier, they have arranged for the boy & his parents to attend the Police Station to-morrow morning. Not my preferred course of action, but maybe it is the kick in the behind this young guy needs to keep him on the straight and narrow in the future.

Yep Denzel is right at home, he is going to require lots of attention and affection, so he should do well here. I feel good about giving the poor devil another chance at life. He had a horrendous start according to the handler we spoke to last Sunday. I won't discuss it here, but even loosing weight in the kennel for the past seven months was infinitely superior to the misery hew had previously endured. Fortunately, that chapter of his life is now closed and he can get on with gaining weight while I get on with loosing it!

Enjoy your break, you never realise how badly you need a break until you return from it!

Denzel's First Night..... Was certainly eventful! After our moonlit walk last night, I tried to introduce him to his kennel, but as it was dark, he didn't venture in. I made an Executive decision, I would let him stay indoors with Babes in the Kitchen & Utility Room. Well, my sons got a Strawberry Flan, and left a hefty slice on the worktop, the china plate in pieces on the floor was my first clue...haha
I had also left out a chicken breast as a treat along with his meals to-day, but he beat me to it! I just hope he had the sense to have dessert after his Main Course HaHa So, looks like he won't be a bag of bones for long.

In his defense, he was the perfect gentleman. There were no pools of excitement or worse awaiting me, as I had expected, as he wasn't ever house-trained. Lesson learned, no food temptations to be left out, for either dog or owner!

Aw poor Denzil , I am so glad he has you and your familty now. We got our cat from a rescue centre, I think I am basically a cat person but I would have a dog . We have agreed for now tho that our lifestyle is more suited to a cat, any dog would be on it's own for a large chunk of the day due to work and school which I wouldnt see as fair, whereas cats are more independant-our Nina has her fabourite spots in the house to snooze and is perfectly happy there ,in fact when we are here we dont see much of her LOL- however when she is awake she is a very affectionate girl ! We also have a guinea pig and a hamster !!

Hope your sunday is good !!

your son's friend sounds like a right little gurrier!!!!!hopefully the chat with the guards will sort him out!!i've never had a thai green curry sounds yum might look into it later:)

Hi celtic tiger,

little pup taking your sons phone:mad: .Hope the guards get it back. Congrats on rescuing your new doggie . Have one dog two cats and a tortoise here . Would love another dog but its not fair as we have Tiny for eight years and I think she would have a fit if we brought in another dog. Also this lot are enough to look after.

Pity you didnt get more support at your class but you seem motivated by the gang here anyway and you know yourself best.

I adore Mike and Molly too !! pity its gone off at the moment . presume it will be back in the autumn. My 15 yr old son is addicted to these shows like X factor etc as well. Keep up the good work :D:D

hi celtic tiger

hope you're having a good sunday, all the dog walking will keep you fit!

my exercise this weekend has consisted of walking to the pub and back on friday and saturday night, i have used up all my weeklies now so got to plan my food intake carefully until weigh in on wednesday night or borrow the neighbour's dog, take it for a long walk and earn some activity points lol

Hi mommieB, yeah Denzel is fine, well fortified after his midnight feast, which I since discovered included 4 croissants I had left out thawing for the boys brekkie.You are dead right about not owning a dog if you are away from home most of the day. It's just cruel to see an animal tied up or restricted to a kennel for most of the day. Dogs are gregarious creatures and generally crave company and attention. My Boxer is like a shadow, she follows me everywhere! Your cat seems to have carved out a little bit of Heaven for herself with you!We also have a hamster, but I'm not one bit keen on them, but the kids insist!

Hi yummymummy75,
Sadly no. The policeman phoned me this morning and said the suspect gave a statement with a totally different version of events, so now my two sons and their friends have to go to the Police Station and make formal statements! I hate involving other parents/kids, but at the moment, it's the suspect's word against my son's. I can really be doing without the hastle.....Normally, I would be in the pub on a Friday night, but last Friday night I was in the house all the time, little did I think that any of this carry-on was underway. The ball is rolling now, the Police are involved, so let the chips fall where they may.

On a lighter note, I am still fineseing my Thai Green Curry recipe, but rest assured I will post it up here in the recipe section when I feel I have perfected it.

Hi Michillinwoman,
See above, no joy with the phone. You'd never know, maybe Tiny might welcome some canine company. I know my Collie and Boxer got on very well in the past. We had the Collie first for about 5 years before I got the Boxer pup. But they became inseperable. I can see my latest addition working out fairly well. the Boxer, being the dominant female, is laying down the law, but I'm keeping a close eye on the pair of them. Parity of esteem is the way to go...no favourites.

Not too worried about not attending a class, I have all you good folk on here to keep me on my toes HAHA I am finding the Internet a fantastic resource. I cut and paste recipe ideas, or minor variations on some basic dishes I would have cooked in the past that either gives them more bulk by adding free veg rather than heavy carbs like potatoes which I would have devoured in the past.

Again, I download episodes from websites which has them up as they are broadcast in the U.S, and as our recent court case proved, it's all Legal! Happy Days. Thanks again for the encouragement. Enjoy your Sunday

Hi smirnoff, good for you, getting out to the pub letting your hair down. I've been tempted, but I managed to avoid it so far this week-end,... but it won't last HaHa You are spot on right about the walking, so I am going to shift my a*se and take the doggies out for an hour. I'm sure they need it, I'm damn sure I do, if for nothing else, head repairs for your truly!

CelticTiger said:
Greetings and welcome to the ramblings of a man who has struggled with his weight for the past 2 decades. Up until I was 25, I could eat & drink for Ireland and never put on a pound. Then, I turned 25, it was like someone turned on a switch and the weight crept up gradually.

I compensated by smoking very heavily indeed, but to my credit, after smoking for 27 years, I kicked that habit almost 3 years ago. It was the best decision I have ever made. If there was one piece of advice I would like to offer, please do yourself a favour and kick the habit. If you haven't started smoking, DON"T!!! If you fail, keep trying, you will succeed.... (rant over)

So here I find myself, 47, going on 48, and carrying way too much weight. I dress well, buy expensive shirts & suits, so I hide it well. However, I find I have little or no energy to get active with my teenage sons who are FULL-ON. Deep down I know, I'm missing out so much on life. More importantly, I have set my sons a bad example, lounging around, falling asleep after dinner, emotional eating, "rewarding" myself with food or drink or vast amounts of both!

I found Minimins totally by accident 3 weeks ago, and it has been a total revelation. I have read numerous threads on various weigh loss programmes and the results have been phenomenal!!! I have considered SW (it seems to be the most popular) but I have been going it alone on the WW PP's and am doing ok. In just over 3 weeks, I have shed 10 lbs, so I am very pleased with that. I was a devil for carbs, rice, pasta, breads & potatoes, I'd eat a 6 pack of Walkers Ready Salted crisps at a go! I have cut out all potatoe, bread & dairy and I feel so much the better for it. I now use Soya milk, a litre lasts me a week. I am down to one coffee a day, ( I used to drink about 10 a day) and I am now drinking water, pints & pints of the stuff (Thank God Robinsons Lemon Barley!!) I got rid of the frying pan & am using an electric wok. Since starting this diet, I am making stir frys, Chinese, Thai & Indian meals, loading them with veggies, and the lads & I love them. The added bonus is I am getting the boys to eat the veg too, so it's a Win,Win so far.

I know its early days yet, but its a small step along a long but satisfying road. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed every morsel & pint of Carlsberg that has got me to this state/weight. But when the beer high wears off, I know I'm hiding in an unhealthy lifestyle. We are now embarking on a daunting but exciting time in our lives. Hopefully, being lighter, healthier & fitter will add to making us happier.

Finally, I'd like to wish each and every reader the very best of luck with your own personal endeavours. I realise that it takes courage to face our personal devils, to figure out Why we are eating as well as What we are eating. It's a steep learning curve, but by supporting each other in more difficult times, we will all get there, eventually. At the end of the day, it's not about a number on a weighing scales that will make us happy, but the feeling that we are taking control of our own lives and that we can all make a difference in our own quiet way. Best of luck one and all, and welcome to my journey.

Please feel free to offer any advice or (constructive) criticism you feel is appropriate. I'm a big boy, I can take it, but be warned, I've a wicked sense of humour, so I give as good as I get!!! :flirt2:

Well done u, on ur new found lease of life! Keep up the good work!

Intake so far to-day:

B - Huried cup of coffee with Soya (2)
Slice of Soda Bread with Strawberry jam (6)

L- Half an Aldi Stone baked Pepperoni & Peppers - (18) Def Not Worth it!!!

Off now with the dogs to undo the damage

Hi Cherooks, thanks for dropping in and the kind wishes. It looks like you have just joined this forum. If so, welcome aboard, this place is great, full of amazing strong minded determined achievers... Bl**dy pity they are not politicians running our countries!
Every success on your weight-loss journey

Thanks so much! I started ww after new year and have lost 16lb ;) I'm feeling comfy in my clothes now, so think it gets a little harder. Felt like a coach potato this afternoon just reading everybodys diarys lol and feel really motivated to carry on! I'm determined this week that I'm going to do some walking and take my 2 lovely children swimming. Hopefully I will also get the hang of using this site ;) thanks for the warm welcome ;) x

Apologies there Cherooks, your banner states that you joined this site on May14th 2011??? Wow, 16 lbs...that's a fantastic weight loss. Of course you can feel that difference, I'll be a happy man when I have shed 16 lbs. Good luck with the walks and the swimming. It's really brilliant if you can get the kids involved. Mine are too busy being Cool & Moody teenagers to be seen much with their Old Man... I was probably the same myself when I was their age! HeHe

Hope you master this site, it's a One Stop Shop...all you ever wanted to know, but was afraid to ask, to coin a phrase.

Continued Good luck on your weight loss journey.

just back from an hours walk with the dog and my youngest son. He travelled by bicycle, in fairness he had a footie match and they won 10-1...a bit one-sided affair I'm afraid, but it means we're into the Semi-Finals of the Shield... big stuff for a 13 year old!

Well, I have the dreaded wok on stand-by... I feel another Stir Fry coming on... my poor kids are the official tasters, their dietary world has been turned upside down this past three weeks...they'll thank me in the years to come...(I hope)

Sorry I have only just joined on here, but been going a ww class since new year. I was inspired by lots of stories on here, so decided to go on my running machine for half an hr ;) good for u going on an hrs walk, and here's to a good week ;)

Hope you enjoyed yer stir fry...they are very tasty and low in points - winners!!! It's a shame the iphone incident hasn't resolved itself and it seems in now might be a long drawn out process!! I hope you get it sorted out soon!

Hope you have a less eventful night with Denzel tonight but by the sounds of it he is settling in lovely! Have a good evening!

Hi Cherooks, good for you on your running machine...30 mins running is no joke, I struggle to walk that sometimes. This afternoon was bright but bracing, my favorite walking weather. Plus it gave me a chance to start training my new dog. In fairness to him, he behaved very well, so the hour was a pleasure..

Yep another week ahead, here's hoping for an enjoyable and energised week, a drop of a pound or two would be a bonus! Good luck with that ;)

Hi CC, if you'll visit the WW recipe section, you will see my post.
I WAS FOUND OUT BIG STYLE THIS EVENING! HAHA

The Stir Fry was a near disaster. My youngest had to have a bowl of cereal minutes after trying it. So I better get my act together as regards the veg stir frys. I can muddle through with curries and Singapore Noodles etc on the electric wok, but the stir-fry is eluding me at the moment :confused:

I'm hoping some experienced WW'er will take pity on me and save me from a mutiny among the troops here at my next attempt.
I'm strongly thinking of binning the packet of sauce and going native with the authentic spices instead. All and any suggestions will be warmly welcomed :rolleyes:

Back