ProPoints Celtic Tiger - A man on a MISSION!!!

Just updated my avatar with a photo of the afore-mentioned Denzel. I will be as eager to see his Before & After photos as much as my own :D:D:D

Well another positive start to the week - I dropped another pound. Another step in the right direction, methinks. I am currently at 121.5kg/19st 4lbs. I so want to get into the 110's & 18's respectively. This will be monumental for me because I haven't been at 18st something for maybe 15 years.

I was out playing ball with the kids and the dogs late last night, I'd never have been able to do that up to now. I'd have sat on my considerable a*se and surfed the Net or watched The Biggest Loser, and admire OTHERS doing what I so badly NEEDED to do. So this is "My Time", right now, to salvage a reasonable healthy body and be a better father and role model for my kids. For once in my life - It's All About Me. If I lead by good example, the boys will follow and hopefully appreciate the efforts the Old Man is making, for us all.

I have been so impressed with the efforts and achievements of the members on here. I can't see how any Weekly class could compare with the honesty & struggles we are all making and sharing on this forum. It is a tremendous support and resource for me.

I know some people are agonising that the weight isn't coming off as quickly as it seems with others, but some of us are only starting out, with massive weight to loose and are probably loosing fluids due the way out bodies are reacting to the changes we are making. Sure it gets tougher when it's actual FAT that we are burning off as we progress into our diets. But certainly, the testimonies on here proves that significant weight-loss is possible along with a commitment to lifestyle changes.

One final point, I hope I don't annoy people with a daily report of weight loss/gain. It's just that I work in Financial Services and as good practice I have developed a system of recording a daily account of my business, appointments, etc which helps keep me on track. I figured it works in my business life, so I'm using it here too.

Best of luck to everyone this week.

i've stopped weighing everyday,,wrecks my head!!!!had my last ww weigh inlast thurs and not planning to weigh in now for another month:) i have a stirfry nearly everyday,,i just love them,,tons of peppers,mushrooms, courgette's chicken/beef fry that all off in a spoon of olive oil and add 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce at the end,,really is yum!!!Denzel is a cutie:)

Hi yummymummy75, what's this about not weighing in for a month??? Before I jumped up on the scales this am, I felt lousy... however, to my absolute amazement, I shed a pound...I'd go beserk not knowing...I think NOW is the only weight that's important, it isn't what you were in the past or what you want to be in the future. Oh that would be a complete head wreck, not knowing if I was on-target or not...

Thanks for zipping off your stir fry recipe...sounds just like what I'm after, however, it seems that I'm overcooking the bejaysus out of it!!! So tell me if I got this right...I'll start, diced chicken breasts in Hot wok plus garlic & chillies for about 5 mins until meat is browned. Then chuck in the container of veg & the packet of sauce. I figured the longer the meat was in the mix, the more flavour it would absorb, so I left it stew for about 25 mins.

Am I to cut the cooking time down from 25 to 5 mins then when I add the veg to the meat???
Won't the chicken be absolutely tasteless???

What spices/herbs do you use? I like the sound of the chilli sauce...we're martyrs for chillies in this house. ;) Thanks in advance

B- 4 gourmet sausages - (12)
Slice of soda bread & Low-Low butter (5)
Heaps of Mushrooms & Onions in Olive oil (2)

L - Left over Stir-fry from last night (5) Thank God for Soy sauce :rolleyes:

D - Chicken Kiev - (13) Processed Horribleness
Potatoe (3)
Heaps of Free Veg (0)

Thought I'd do something "Normal" for the boys, but really not worth it. Am going to try the Butterfly chicken breasts with spinach & light cheese next time instead of this packaged crud! :D

Hi just putting my tuppence in!! Stir frys prob should be made v.quickly so there is a certain "crunchiness" too it, you could always marinade your chicken in the garlic and chillies with a little olive oil in the fridge if u want your chicken to be tasty??

I also agree with yummy mummy that weighing daily is a nightmare, I'm an expert!! I weighed myself everyday sometimes twice a day and for the first few months it was a real motivator it definately spurred me on! However as my weightloss slowed down now I'm nearer target it became the exact opposite!! Id be on a real downer if I didn't see movement and think stuff it I'll just have that take away then!! It's taken me nearly 6 months to even acknowledge that daily weigh INS aren't good for me now, it's once a week and once a week only for me!!

If it's working for you just now then fair play use it as extra motivation but just bear in mind it could become problematic...sorry preaching over!! Hope you've had a good day!!

Hi CC, thanks for the advice on the Stir-frys. I'm getting a clearer picture now of where I went wrong. I will definitely marinate the meat over-night and then quickly cook off the veg. Any tips about what spices, seasoning, condiments etc to use???

Don't worry about the daily weigh in's. I am expecting this run of weight loss to grind to a halt really soon, not too soon I hope. ;)
I am bursting a gut to get down below 19 stone, hopefully this will be my week to achieve that. That's a major milestone for me. It will mean a drop of a stone and a half from my all time heaviest weight/unhappiest of 20st 7lbs about 2 months ago.

jerk chicken seasoning is my favourite marinade, mouth is watering just thinking about it!

I sometimes like to marinade mine in a little soya, lime juice, garlic and chillies...makes a mean Malaysian chicken!!

I also just love marinading chicken in nandos piri piri sauce, cooking it off and having in with pitta bread...delicious!!

I also like to make just a simple chow mein using soy sauce, chinese 5 spice and a little seasame oil...you could marinade the chicken in soy and 5 spice before hand??

Just some ideas to keep you going!

Hi Nicola, thanks for tip on the marinade. I'm convinced! I HATE bland food. And the boys and I are sick to death of BORING, BORING, BORING "traditional" lardy dinners. So I'm just looking to spice up our menu. This is an opportunity to do that by introducing healthier options into our diet.

As I said before, it's early days for me here on this weight loss path. I don't have all the answers, that's why I really value the input from most established members such as yourself who have actually achieved tremendous results by applying the principals and sticking to your guns, on the bad days as well as the good!

I work for myself, and having tried the WW Classes route, I am quiet happy to "Ride My Own Race" with the encouragement & advice of all you high-achievers. ;)

I totally take on-board the concern about being over-ambitious, but I want to loose as much weight as is reasonable possible while the weather is good, and I can get out for hour long walks these lovely fine evenings. It must be so much tougher trying to loose weight on freezing cold, wet, wintry days & nights when you just want to indulge in comfort food..

I love your comment about "Comfort Blanket". I'm a hard task master, hardest of all on myself. I set myself ambitious targets in life, and I enjoy my achievements. However, the lifestyle that goes along with that is hugely stressful and it takes it's toll, high BP etc. Food & drink have been my Comfort Blanket, but no more. That doesn't mean that I am going on a starvation diet by any means, but I am on a path to a healthy lifestyle, and I intend to see where that takes me.

As you say, the successes on here are breath-taking. I am only too willing to learn from those successes and stumbles, and maybe I'll contribute something along the way that might assist current & future members. And a very successful week of Maintenance to you, NAJH

Last edited:
Hi smirnoff, thanks for popping by. Jerk chicken you say, any particular brand that I could pick up easily in lets say Tesco. I'll have a quick look on their website.
I don't recall coming across it in the aisles. I'm a funny sight these days to see me forensically examing jar labels to establish PP's. A sure sign I'm getting into early dotage :D:D:D

CC, you're a Star! Just the hard info I was looking for. Up to this I have been a basic cook. Now I want to try dishes that I have enjoyed in restaurants and had delivered from Take Aways. The kids are holding out great hopes that the Old Man is going to turn into a half-decent chef :)

I have bough jerk chicken seasoning from Asda, it's with the other herbs and spices- I think mine may be schwartz.

Anyway , I digress,and confess to being a daily weigher-even worse I do morning and night,bad girls that I am, but whilst I know it isnt a good idea for alot of people, I find it helps me keep on track- I know our bodies do fluctuate naturally but to my thinking, if I see an upward trend then I know I need to cut back. Hope that makes sense.

Currently I go to meetings , in the past I have done meetings, internet membership and gone it alone- all work, it really depends on what works for you right now, it may change, it may not for you-just go with the flow !

Hope your day has been good and tomorrow is too

Thank you Elaine, well done. I will keep my beady eyes open for it when I pay a visit to Tesco to-morrow, although I definitely don't recall it when I was shopping for spices recently. We have an excellent Asian retailer nearby where I go to get ethnic supplies .

What can I say... Thanks very much. I will attempt this recipe this week and report back how my little Taste Testers enjoyed it :)

The link worked perfectly, recipes and all.

Well Done, CT

Hi mommyB, great minds think alike, Elaine was on with the Schwartz recommendation too. Thanks for your valuable contribution.

I too like to know that I'm on track, but as regards weighing morning & night, that's really demanding a huge amount from yourself. As more experienced dieters on here have said, initially daily weigh in's are fine, but to settle into the weekly weigh in's might be safer in the long run. I expect they have seen so many members come and go, initially full of ambition and good intentions, but then fall by the wayside when the weight does not fall off or they STS. Again, it's down to whatever works for you.
Best of luck this week by the way.

Well the headlong drop in weight has inevitably ground to a halt...:cry: :cry::cry:

I'm DEVESTATED!!! .... JOKING OF COURSE!

Now it looks like I have to do it the hard way like everyone else :D:D:D

I couldn't care less, I'm feeling much better, and my clothes fit me better, so it's all good!:)

Best of luck to you all to-day especially those who are facing a WI ;)

On a personal note... Queen Elizabeth II has arrived safely to Ireland. I would like to add my voice to all right thinking people here in Ireland who warmly welcome her long overdue visit. The weather is fine and I read her itinerary earlier, she will be visiting some of Ireland's beauty spots. I hope she has many pleasant memories to take home.

Here Here .....

Lovely to see her here.

Back