Celtic Tiger - A New Scales, A New Start!

You seem to be doing really well on your holidays Conor and the amount of exercise you're fitting in is sure to see you getting a good loss when you get weighed.
Might get myself a pedometer and get cracking on the 10000 steps after reading your post. Well done :)

Go for it SM, whatever it takes to get you out there putting one foot in front of the other. Purchase quality footwear and as importantly proper athletic socks. They are an excellent investment. Then, start slowly and build it up. I just love walking/hiking out in the sun. My ultimate goal is to do the Camino de Frances to Santiago de Compostella in Northern Spain before I'm 50 (16 months time) so I'm trying to get as much hiking in the sun as possible. I'm doing close on 2 hours daily at the moment, but I'll have to be able to do 6/7 hours daily for over 30 consecutive days with a 10kg backpack on that trip. So I've decided to move the 10kg (and the rest) from my gut (beer belly) to my back pack!!! :D:D

The pedometer is a great motivator as it lets you see your progress as your walks are getting longer, your speed is improving, and my one shows the cals burned. At the minute my 100 mins burns up a staggering 800cals, possible more in this heat!

You're doing famously Conor! Keep it up and you'll be sprinting along the Camino!

Shivie said:
You're doing famously Conor! Keep it up and you'll be sprinting along the Camino!

I wish!!! Lol. Once I won't be hauling along a 20 stone lardarse, I'll be happy x

OMG and there's me thinking how good I am doing 20k a week on the cross trainer :giggle:

Just had a chance to catch up on some of the diaries on here. As I always believed, this dieting/exercise lark is sooo much easier in a sunny climate, while on holiday. I am enjoying being in control of what my family are eating & have all day to exercise while on holiday without the demands of everyday life. My hats off to you good people who manage to succeed week in, week out while holding down a job, raising kids, running a house and often looking after elderly relatives also. Thats the challange.

Best of luck to all who at least give it a try.

Conor x

Hear hear!

Well folks, I've returned to MM after a great 2 week family holiday. The first week went better than the first getting in formal exercise and being vigilant lo-carbing, plus, as we decided against getting a car, we walked everywhere, which lead to some nice chats.

The weather was even hotter in week 2, and even at 7pm, when I'd usually go for my walks, it was still over 40 degrees, so my hikes suffered, plus I indulged a bit too much with the cervesas, but that's what holidays are for, and I've decided that a STS is not a bad result, all things considering. So here I am back at 280lbs for the umpteenth time.

As well as starting back on S & S, I am hoping to continue with an exercise regime which I certainly enjoyed, so hopefully this twin pronged approach will pay off this time.

Continued success to all who have stuck to their guns better than I did.

Conor x

Welcome back to the Emerald Isle's ongoing monsoon season!!
Won't be long until tropical rainforests start springing up at this rate!
The pounds will soon be shifted, don't worry and a STS over the course of a 2 week holiday is a most respectable
state of affairs!
You now know you enjoy exercise so how about maybe joining a walking club (or starting your own!)
and doing the Wicklow Way every so often. You have loads of scope in the Garden of Ireland there for beautiful walks!
Good luck getting back on the S&S plan, you'll do great! :)

Welcome back Conor and don't be too hard on yourself for STS as the flight will of added a couple of lbs on.
Just you wait and see over the weekend you will have a good result.
I'd also say keep up the exercise as it's definitely speeding up my loses. Jogging is my new exercise of choice (trampoline not the street) :)

STS is better than my result of putting on 1stone while away!
It was a trip of a lifetime though and I did enjoy it! Not happy that I have to now lose it, but hey ho
Well done on your exercise, I just need to get back into it!

Good luck and welcome home!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Welcome back to the Emerald Isle's ongoing monsoon season!!
Won't be long until tropical rainforests start springing up at this rate!
The pounds will soon be shifted, don't worry and a STS over the course of a 2 week holiday is a most respectable
state of affairs!
You now know you enjoy exercise so how about maybe joining a walking club (or starting your own!)
and doing the Wicklow Way every so often. You have loads of scope in the Garden of Ireland there for beautiful walks!
Good luck getting back on the S&S plan, you'll do great! :)

Thanks Shivie, positive as always!!! As you wouldn't put a ladder out this morning, I hit the gym, 2 sessions on the powerplate, cycle, rower & cross trainer. 40 mins circuit - no break to keep the heart rate up. Hopped on scales, (liked what I saw) so it's Hell for leather until I get two stone shifted. Have a wedding on Sept 8th, a 50th Birthday party on Oct 2nd, and there's no way I'm walking into either of those events at 20 stones!

Yeah, I'm hoping to combine exercise with S & S to achieve serious weight loss. I've faffed around for long enough!

I'm dying to tackle the Wicklow Way, just bought the Guide book before I went on hols, hoping for a break in the weather. I don't know how I'd fare out with a 5-6 hour trek, I'm hoping to build up to that. Plenty of coastal walks nearby, to shift the cobwebs in the meantime ;)

Conor x

Welcome back Conor and don't be too hard on yourself for STS as the flight will of added a couple of lbs on.
Just you wait and see over the weekend you will have a good result.
I'd also say keep up the exercise as it's definitely speeding up my loses. Jogging is my new exercise of choice (trampoline not the street) :)

Thanks SM, lovely to hear from you. Yep, I'm back to it in earnest to-day, S & S and exercise. Bit of a shock to the system, but as the Magic Wand approach didn't work,:rolleyes: I'll have to resort to hard graft as usual!

Dear God woman, jogging on a trampoline, that sounds like torture... at least it's kind to the joints. Good for you, you're not hanging about waiting for the weight to fall off, you're working off every pound... Respect!

Conor x

STS is better than my result of putting on 1stone while away!
It was a trip of a lifetime though and I did enjoy it! Not happy that I have to now lose it, but hey ho
Well done on your exercise, I just need to get back into it!

Good luck and welcome home!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hi BB, good to hear from you. That's my kind woman, you had to work really hard at enjoying yourself to put on a stone! :cool: I like your STYLE ;)
You were dead right, you don't go on the holiday of a lifetime to loose weight. You must have so many brilliant memories from that trip, good for you. I know that once you square up to this S&S again, you will undo those holiday pounds in no time.

Lots of people getting back to it together, we'll blitz them pounds in no time! :D

Conor x

Great start! Tackling a gym session with such gusto...much respect!
Good to have a few upcoming events to keep you focussed, that always does the trick.

Is feidir linn!!! ;)

Back