Cerulean's Maintenance Diary - 20 wks of SSing - Maintaining since 25/07/11

Today I ate prawns and cottage cheese and leaves...I think I calculated that I was close to about 960 cals...This is all a bit strange as I don't drink the milk which is basically 120 cals and that's the amount I overeat in protein and leaves...so really confused by the amounts for 810...I don't really want to cut back due to the amount of exercise I am doing - so calling what I am doing Low Carb 1000 is best really.

Oooh - I ate a bit of broccoli the other day. Woah is it sweet!

Today I swam a kilometre and shredded (I missed yesterday's due to needing 8 hours sleep and being out of the house from 7.45 - 10.30 yesterday)

Tomorrow's annoying exercise wise as I have to go to rehearsal at times that mean that getting to the gym will be tricky unless I learn all of my lines tonight...but I need tonight OFF - am bored of lines! And it means that even if I do, if I want to get my mile swim in and my scheduled run (I guess I could do it in the gym by the rehearsal space rather than my home gym, but the gym and pool has no daylight and that gym has no aircon at the moment so GRRRRRR) I guess I should just do a kilometre swim tomorrow - but that means I can't guarantee getting a mile swim in this week which I like to do for stamina once a week. Bah.

Went to tayyabs today only had chicken tikka and a seekh kabab, partner had a curry and omg it was horrible! Standards have def slipped! Maybe it was b'cuz they couldn't taste the food b'cuz of Ramadan lol

Ur giving me motivation to exercise! Going to try a 15mins ride on my spinning bike tomorrow morning :D hope u manage to go for ur swim x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

The world beyond SS seems to be treating you well Sarah!

I am glad you are mixing it up a bit, I seriously think that if you go for the low carb option, all will be well!

I am back on the shred today (back in the 11's thats why and it's TOTM, so thats got to be postive) it is still a killer for me, but in a blissed out sort of way!

Onwards and upwards (or downwards, depending on how you look at it)

Oh Princess - that sounds rubbish! I usually only have the mix grill and extra lamb and the bindi bhaji and pumpkin curry - we had a lovely prawn balti for my bday...but you're right - maybe their regular suppliers are taking it easy too! I can't imagine after so many years they'd risk going down the pan...must have been an off night.

Nat - phew! Yeah - Shred is always half fun and elation half 'OMG WHY DO I DO THIS???'

Now before you all think I am on the goody goody train to perfection land, I screwed up slightly last night. Dunno what it was - be it tiredness, super anxiety over today (boring stuff to do with acting and lines and technical stuff and logistics) or I dunno - my usual devil made me do it kind of one off bender I do sometimes...but I ate two malt toffee bars and a tub of cottage cheese totally off plan. Er - right...I have never ever done that before!

I know what was wrong last night - I was knackered and I was desperately anxious as I have forgotten about 4 pages of my lines out fo a 12 page script and I was worried about how I would fit my run and swim in this morning and lalalalalala I just wasn;t thinking straight. I just made myself a cup of Earl Grey, said 'Draw line under here' and get those pages down. I did - not very well, but I got through today, didn;t put on weight - I had a max of about 1400 cals yesterday and I'd done 600 cals of exercise so any gain will just be glycogen. Only had food packs until 6pm today so I'm clearly not having to flail about...that's new - I've never 'binged' on 'diet food' before. Hmmmm - well hopefully that'll teach me to get my sh*t together!

This morning I did a 4k run in record time and a 1k swim. Will be shredding this evening, so if all that extra 'food' causes a prob, it'll only be temporary.

Food eh? It's a weird old thing!

Hello. My minimins isnt working apart from my iphone so I cant quote you!

My skin has gone funny too. I feel like my spots arent dissapearing even though Ive been usinh my usual routine!

Hiya ChunkyMonkey - yeah - I think it's to do with testosterone levels and soy - I have these strange bumps at the side of my neck...I only have a couple more weeks on 3 packs a day so I'm going to ride it out...but I seem to remember really breaking out at the end of 20 or so weeks of LL and then going back to normal as soon as I was in RTM. Hmmmmm...but yeah - if you google acne and soy together it's quite enlightening.

Just a quick update on my plan for tomorrow before I go up to bed (I know, its just Saturday nights are tricky in the days when booze and takeaways are off the books - and I treasure my Sunday mornings of quiet gyms and the big lovely pool at my local gym or pond on the heath far more!)

Tomorrow am 5k run followed by mile swim and a walk with a friend. Shred in the evening.

Have finally worked out how long my gym's pool is and will have to readjust all my distances as I think I have been calculating them incorrectly.

I'm really enjoying your diary too Cerulean, especially since you moved up the plan. We're on similar diets now; chicken, prawn and cottage cheese a-go-go!!

I'm aiming to reach your level of activity now. Got the 30DS and trying to get through that. I've never been much of a runner (had a knee op 2 years ago) but I'd love to be able to run 5k with no issues! Keep up updated with your progress and may your size 12s continue to get positively baggy!!

P.s. Ignore the trolls- they're jealous!! Xx

Nat - phew! Yeah - Shred is always half fun and elation half 'OMG WHY DO I DO THIS???'

Now before you all think I am on the goody goody train to perfection land, I screwed up slightly last night. Dunno what it was - be it tiredness, super anxiety over today (boring stuff to do with acting and lines and technical stuff and logistics) or I dunno - my usual devil made me do it kind of one off bender I do sometimes...but I ate two malt toffee bars and a tub of cottage cheese totally off plan. Er - right...I have never ever done that before!

I know what was wrong last night - I was knackered and I was desperately anxious as I have forgotten about 4 pages of my lines out fo a 12 page script and I was worried about how I would fit my run and swim in this morning and lalalalalala I just wasn;t thinking straight. I just made myself a cup of Earl Grey, said 'Draw line under here' and get those pages down. I did - not very well, but I got through today, didn;t put on weight - I had a max of about 1400 cals yesterday and I'd done 600 cals of exercise so any gain will just be glycogen. Only had food packs until 6pm today so I'm clearly not having to flail about...that's new - I've never 'binged' on 'diet food' before. Hmmmm - well hopefully that'll teach me to get my sh*t together!

This morning I did a 4k run in record time and a 1k swim. Will be shredding this evening, so if all that extra 'food' causes a prob, it'll only be temporary.

Food eh? It's a weird old thing!

whoah there bessie!

You have to know that

a) you are doing fabulously well
b) you are managing on the wide road
c) you are "trading off" excercise for food, irespective of what you ate and why you ate it.

Now to the words I highlighted in bold. Write them down, devise a strategy to deal with those kinds of feelings, what they emerge like, how to recognise them and then how to implement the "stop sign" THEY are (much like mine) your risk areas, so get a management plan going...something like, "when I feel my stress levels rising, I will do 30 deep breaths and drink a glass of water" or "when I feel nervous I will do 2 extra minutes of jumping jacks on the stop - right there and then" to shake off that feeling. You know the script, follow the guru's advice (Roth et al - not me :) )

You are smashing sarah.

Haha - Nat - I know that script, I just wish I had known the actual script for the play I am in!

Yesterday was interesting as well - if you think about it, I am doing 8-900 cals of exercise on a full day (which yesterday was) and about 2-400 on a 'rest' day...I ate extra chicken (I roasted 2 legs off - I am trying to eat organic meat when I do go down that path as Jillian M suggests, but bloody hell that was the cheapest cut of organic chicken and it would have bought me 3 weeks of organic chickpeas) luckily my metabolic typing means that I am supposed to go for cheaper cuts of things like offal when I'm off plan (kidneys and chicken livers are some of my fave things in the word and I never knew why - its cos it's why my body is designed to eat! - thinking about it - when I had that meal at Heston Blumenthal, it was pretty much the perfect meal for my metabolic type and I lost 3lbs overnight!) With my soy allergy/protein type it's not like I can go down the veggie route (last summer I was vegan for 6 weeks with calorie counting and exercise and lost 2 stone, put it all straight back on).

So in addition to the 810 plan, I ate 200g chicken and 80g chickpeas - triple protein portion.

I lost weight. Hmmmmmm...it makes perfect sense, calories in, calories out, body getting used to larger quantities of food. I think this is a full cold rather than hayfever (all its symptoms are above the neck which is why I can still exercise with impunity and I'm not coughing - that so wouldn't have happened in olden days!)

I think it is important to do the actual 1000/1200 step though because judging by my little adjustments, I need the discipline and I do need to introduce fruit in a controlled environment. Just wish I had someone to ration my fruit for me!

I may just stick to very plain brown rice for my carb portion for the first week. But I do need to keep away from cereal as that started my bad behaviour on LL RTM, I never ate it in the real world, not sure why I need to start now!

Just a quickie before I get the tube...I RAN 5K today!!! (it was supposed to be a long slow run, but I sprinted the last kilometer! I swam 600m (had to meet a friend so swim was cut short) then walked 3miles through the woods near my house. So...my first 5k...my 5-10k training starts here...so I should be on 10ks by the time I find out if I have a marathon ballot place! Exciting (and horrifying!)

And even though I would have forgiven myself if I hadn't, I shredded today. We didn;t find very many good blackberries - I ate about 10 - rather nice! Friend offered me more and I refused. Didn't feel like it, they didn't set me off being snacky even though I was genuinely hungry at that point. I had some cottage cheese and prawns and cauliflower. And round at my friend's house I saw her eating an apple. I am kind of on 1000 anyway and I thought 'Why not try an apple here - it means I don't have to have one in the house or buy a bag - I've just had my protein meal - why not give one apple a try?' And I did...and I didn't get hungry or nibbly, came home and had my tea time pack and tea - all good. So today I have done 900 cals of exercise and eaten about 1050 cals.

Tomorrow is an interesting day - lunch with the family for granny's birthday - it's a picnic lunch so I should be able to eat (carefully) with everyone else - and it's not like I haven't put in the exercise work!

Yay. All going good!

What part of 'I can eat chicken and salad' translates into just providing sandwiches! Bless my sister for totally ignoring everything I said! Today I sort of did a kind of 1000 plan day. 2 food packs, apples, berries, small bit of bread, mainly 1000 plan protein (some sliiiightly off the usual plan things like avocado and smoked salmon) but not a disaster. Didn't touch the puddings or the clotted cream, but I did have a couple of picnic eggs! and hmmmm - interesting moment at the station - I found myself contemplating the chocolate. I got a bottle of water and Grazia!

The rest of my week is going to be interesting. My local supermarkets and shops are all under curfew (a phone shop on my block was looted last night - no biggie, they didn't wake me up!) - guess I'll have to do my shopping at the Tescos by work (which is annoying as it's a city one so it's well expensive) I don't really want to go back to SSing as I feel like I'm on my way up - I ate a bit of bread, I'm having a few carbs. I've tried a bit of fruit. I might go back to more 810 food for convenience if London's going to be under curfew for the next few weeks (you have to shop quite carefully to get the right mix of bits and bats when you're on 1000 - and you're as munchy as I can get - I have to buy things in small amounts to not have temptation readily available in the house - I will work on this, but in a few weeks time!)

Tired now - it was a bit of a strange day. For everyone in London, I think.

Made me laugh about the sandwiches, just been through the same thing today with OH after planned weekend off I said today I was not eating again and was then offered the following by OH:

Sandwich in star bucks with my black coffee, no thanks I am not eating
Fruit pastilles in car, no thanks I am not eating dont you remember?
Burgers to cook for supper , NO THANK YOU I AM NOT BL***Y EATING
Glass of wine, OMG WHAT PART OF NOT EATING AND CERTAINLY NOT DRINKING DON'T YOU GET??

Apparently this is being thoughtful!!

Oh Sarah

It's all going off! I have been watching a combination of sky news and BBC news 24 on rotation looking for a woman ram rading a pret on a borris bike whilst munching a bag of saltless almonds! Alas I didnt catch a glimpse of you....

Less of the jest, I think this is just getting crazier and crazier, but I am not surprised because the cities are full of progressivley angry people these days, people who are let down, disgruntled, taxed to death and fed up. Blaming the "yoof" isnt really going to solve the issues either, I bet it was a bunch of rabid sole sourcers looking for sweetner and coke zero...in all seriousness, I hope you are ok.

Awww TFG, I can see what the intention is behind the suggestions and it's really sweet, but it's hilarious at how wrong it is

Nat, I could have totally ramraided Morrisons (which had closed early unexpectedly for no good reason as we only had a small gang of troublemakers at midnight last night) for some Coke Zero (what a time to run out!!! I've soaked me chickpeas for tomorrow...if the worst comes to the worst I'll have dhal for me tea!

God it's terrible I live in north London and too scared to leave the house tomorrow! It's so sad how people are losing their houses and businesses just like that!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I am okay, I live in a gang heavy area of north London (one of the big publicised murders was at the end of my road) but that means our local police have been very vigilant and the shop curfew I was whinging about probably saved us last night.

What I ate on my summer holidays.

So I've already alluded to the fact that I ate a teensy bit around the houses yesterday - but it was my granny's bday and I never take days off when on SS and I am in the 1000s and I am exercising like a bugger and - I DON'T NEED TO JUSTIFY MYSELF! (HURRAY! NEW STYLE OF FOOD THINKING!) I do need to not ever eat more than 2000 calories in a day and I do need to not be quite so creative any more than once every 10 days or so or start thinking it's the norm from now on, but I am allowed the odd breather as long as it's not sugar and stodge and all things podge and I am allowed not to beat myself up for it - in fact I am actively discouraged from thinking that yesterday was anything short of a triumph with knobs on. All tallied up with a worst case scenario, yesterday's food intake comes to 1700 or so (and that really is hugely rounding a few things up cos of guesswork) okay so I didn't do any exercise, but it was a rest day and I have done 900 cals of exercise on the two preceding days and will be doing a 4.4k run today. I'm having a textbook 1000 day today (without carbs other than my fruit allowance) and what's best of all is I didn't pick up the massive bar of Galaxy in the station cos it was cheaper than a bottle of water and I'd had two party eggs anyway and oh I knew it would all go to hell in a handcart (It will if you don't stop thinking like this right now, Sarah, just get Grazia and a bottle of water, you mental case). I stopped myself and just had the expensive bottle of water and my emergency apple (I suggest always having an emergency apple once fruit is allowed). So I have done well!

Hello - under this bit I am going to talk more about food

Today I had a chicken breast and 100g cottage cheese and a bowl of radishy cucumbery salad and some raspberries and an apple. (I am rehearsing so I have to have my evening meal in the mid-afternoon)

After my workout and before rehearsal (probably a run and a quick swim) I am going to have 100g turkey and another apple. Total of 1000 calories.

My weight - bang on the same as it was yesterday and the day before. So I think I'm 1000ing now. I've done my 2 weeks of 810...I was already eating 1000y in 810 every other day...am losing just under 2lbs a week...cool by me - I'll 1000-1200 over the next 6 weeks til the 20th Sept (that week is my planned step up to 1500 for my Mum's birthday) If I STS for the next two weeks I'll stick at the 1000 end for 4 weeks, if I continue to lose, I'll 1200 after 2 weeks. Are you still with me?

I must be well and truly out of ketosis now and I don't feel a difference. The hunger I felt on Sunday was pleasant, it was a really satisfying 'Hello, Sarah, this is your tummy calling, it is time to go and get something to eat' I had to ignore it cos I was in the middle of a wood and 30 minutes later it went 'Hi, remember 30 mins ago? We're still here and we still ain't getting any fuel and you've run and walked like 10k and had a swim, you idiot, food soon, please' It was refreshing because that was not what hunger was like before SSing...before SSing it was 'Eat' (I would eat) 'Eat' (I would eat) 'Eat more' (I would eat more 'Am I not full yet?') 'No. Bored. Eating good. Not boring. Eat.' (I would eat.) All day every day. Now it's just 'breakfast bar please, thank you' 'mid morning snack please, thank you' 'lunchtime protein and leafy thing please, thank you' and in the evening I'm good with a small protein/milk based snack and a cup of tea. My body's slowly going back to normal.

I do still think the old thoughts, but right now, after that lunch, I really couldn't eat anything. I am full and my tummy is busy with its new hobby of food-processing...why give it any more to do?

The last two weeks of 810ing have been a reminder that my body used to be very good at telling me what to eat. My body is cool with gaps and hunger and is happy as long as it has veggies and protein every so often. I have to wean myself off the peanut crunch habit shortly as that early morning 'breakfast bar please' needs to change soon. I hope to do this with nuts and fruit and yoghurt for breakfast as soon as practicable.

Back