Chelsea Lou - The Ventura adventure, not a sinking ship!

A hat with a veil? Put on at an angle...tres Chic, and bright red lippy.......don't forget the gloves and clutch bag! xx

Where on earth would I get a hat with a veil - it's on Sunday and I don't DO shopping :rolleyes:. I have a neighbour who collects vintage clutch bags so I'm all set for that - will sort out gloves pretty easily as well.

Sorry Chels for hijacking your thread...:eek:

Where on earth would I get a hat with a veil - it's on Sunday and I don't DO shopping :rolleyes:.

Charity shops my dear, I am the Queen of Charity shopping and have 3 Boden tops to prove it! xx

Hello Chels... checking in late today, lots going on over here!

Shred: I am avoiding it on the assumption that you end up shredded after even attempting it. No thanks! (Bad attitude, I know, lol!)
One I share with you hun lol
1940s lunch - SOOOO jealous! I have a couple of 40s frocks and love the look, though 50s is easier to come by. I wore my hair in a 1940s 'roll' for years. A Boden tea dress is pretty close, I'd say... knee length, often square-ish shoulders and cardis or little boxy jackets. Utility/rationing meant fabric was limited but I love the nostalgia of it all. (And no, I wasn't born till decades later so don't start!!!)
With you on all of the above and I was born mid 50's and 40's/50's/60's all great eras for clothes.
My weekend - setting off at 5 in morning for two work events, then on to friend's house where I'll be based until thursday for my work-away week. Sunday will be spent with pal, then meeting up wit two old school friends in evening... cannot wait!

xxx
Sounds fab and I hope you have a lovely time. Try to stay in touch if you can, looking forward to your updates xxx
I did pop in to vivien of holloway earlier as it wasn't that far from work andv picked up a lovely dress that's late 40s. It is a halterneck dress with a pencil type skirt - the label calls it a sarong. It might be on the web site... its very pretty and one I can see myself wearing again to weddings or other smarter events. I might post up a picture later if I'm brave enough.
Alli, that sounds perfect and I implore you to post a pic of you in it. I bet it will look fab. Was it pricey? xx
Katy - how on earth do you create pincurls? I'm guessing it will be impossible with short-ish hair.

So glad I went though so thanks for the tip Chels! :)
You are more than welcome, glad to be of service :D
It sounds lovely!!!

No, I never had pincurls... a 'roll' instead. (known as 'victory roll'!) I had a very long fringe and would backcomb it and then roll it back, securing the back with hairgrips. Then spritz it with hairspray. Rest of hair was curled or flicked under. In the end I could get a perfect roll without even looking in mirror! Gave up about 8 years ago after Princess Anne visited a local art centre and DD met her. 'She's got a roll just like you, only it goes right around her head' DD said. Never wore my hair in a roll again!

xxx
Oooh, don't blame you, wouldn't want to be compared to her either lol
Ooh - maybe I could do something like that with my fringe It's not that long but might work. I suspect I'd look more like Elvis than a 1940s lady though but who knows ...
My sister used to twist her wet hair into the kiss-curls desired and sellotape to her face until dry, worked a treat back in the 60's
A hat with a veil? Put on at an angle...tres Chic, and bright red lippy.......don't forget the gloves and clutch bag! xx
Tres very chic I'm thinking 40s gear for my cruise!!!
Where on earth would I get a hat with a veil - it's on Sunday and I don't DO shopping :rolleyes:. I have a neighbour who collects vintage clutch bags so I'm all set for that - will sort out gloves pretty easily as well.

Sorry Chels for hijacking your thread...:eek:
Bit of netting and glue/stitch to a hat, very 40's with all the rationing etc., and don't worry about the hijacking, I really don't mind xx
Charity shops my dear, I am the Queen of Charity shopping and have 3 Boden tops to prove it! xx
I got my Mrs Merton get-up for a fancy dress from charity shops. Crimplene, cruddy old-bird's dress, manky cardy some god-awful pensioner lace up shoes, bought a blonde curly wig and got some silver spray paint to turn it grey oh and a really hideous handbag. Job's a good 'un :D:D

That 40's look for your head

Where on earth would I get a hat with a veil
To make a pill box hat
Get an oval of cardboard about 6" x 5" plus a long thin strip about 3-4" wide. Get a 2nd pair of hands to help - and stick the long strip all the way round the edge of the oval with cellotape from the inside. Bit tricky but doable.
Get some plain coloured material (black is the best) and cut an oval piece the same size as the top + 1/2" all round and stick to the top with glue. Wrap the spare 1/2" down the side - carefully folding or cutting out the excess material.
Now take a long straight piece of material the same length as your straight cardboard + 1.5" all round. Iron a 1/2" seam along one long edge and the same along both short edges. Stick this to the side of of hat. Fold the spare 1" inside and stick this too.
PRITT STICK is ideal as the glue.
For the veil, take an 18"x6" piece of net and pleat or gather along one of the long sides (use a big but secure running stitch). Sew the gathered edge to the top of the pill box hat near to the oval top. Sew a couple of loops of elastic to eithe side. Fix the elastic bits to your head with hair grips.

How do I know? Made one about 10 years ago for a 40's party and it got loads of compliments. It even got worn for a wedding it came out so well
Alternatively if you aren't nimble fingered - head to a charity shop!

how on earth do you create pincurls? I'm guessing it will be impossible with short-ish hair.

You need lots of har grips and "super-strong" hair gell. When wet, lather the front with the gell. Make the pin curls in your fringe and down the sides and fix in place with 2 crossed hair grips. Leave the back straight.
Leave to dry naturally or blow gently with hair dryer from long distance. Don't remove the grips until completely dry and do not comb. Just leave.

How do I know? Ditto above for said party!

Last edited:
Well, I'm not loving these 5 day weeks although strangely enough, they seem shorter than the 4 day weeks. I know I am not mental because colleagues have said the same thing :D

I'm not liking these 5 day weeks either, only got to disagree on them feeling shorter, this week at work for me has felt like a month :cry: so glad its weekend, still only 10 more "get ups" until half term :)

Thanks pommette - will definitely try the pincurls. I googled it and it seemed horrendously complicated. Your explanation is far better. The hat - I will head for the charity shops I think as there's no way I could make one. :D Thanks again!

I got my Mrs Merton get-up for a fancy dress from charity shops. Crimplene, cruddy old-bird's dress, manky cardy some god-awful pensioner lace up shoes, bought a blonde curly wig and got some silver spray paint to turn it grey oh and a really hideous handbag. Job's a good 'un :D:D

So, you shop where I take my old clothes then Chels? :rolleyes:

Been really busy today at work :cry:

Wii fit + walk/jog + Glee........hmmmmm how am I going to make time for Emmerdale/Corrie? xx :D

AND home and away?? :confused:

Ok...Not to worry...We'll get back to yours at about 5pm...we'll either go straight on the wii fit, or straight out for a walk. Come home, put dinner on, settle down for home and away and other soaps. THEN I will have a hot bath before Glee @ 9. :D

Sorted? :flirt2: xx
Worn out already lol xx

Greetings everyone. Long time no speak. Went a bit awol over the weekend......events conspired against me somewhat, best laid plans and all that. Consequently diet went right out of the window :cry:Work has also been really busy today and apart from the odd 'like' I have not really had time to post here today.

I do hope you are all well and still losing lots of lbs. I will try and get my head a bit more 'in the zone' for tomorrow and put up a longer and more detailed post.

Take care xxx

Good to see you back Chels - looks like you had a busy, but hopefully enjoable weekend.
Take car you too!

Hmmm, understand completely Chels - friends/family/cake/pudding/wine = fun and enjoying life!
Now, I just have to find that balance which means no more late night food prowling between the pantry and the fridge! Hey ho.....xxx

Greetings everyone. Long time no speak. Went a bit awol over the weekend......events conspired against me somewhat, best laid plans and all that. Consequently diet went right out of the window :cry:Work has also been really busy today and apart from the odd 'like' I have not really had time to post here today.

I do hope you are all well and still losing lots of lbs. I will try and get my head a bit more 'in the zone' for tomorrow and put up a longer and more detailed post.

Take care xxx

Hi Yang,

You and me both. Trying to get back at it! I hope your day goes well.

Mel

Hiya Chels,

Hope you`ve had a good weekend, Have a great week :D xX

Hi Lisa, Mel and everyone,

Nice to see you back with us Lisa, have missed you on here.

Weekend was ok......wasn't feeling my best to be honest but just nice to not be at work :D

How's the week of CD going for you?

xx

Hi Yang,

I hope that you will be feeling fit this week. You have had a rough time of late.

Mel

Back