Chick peas

Kerry:)

Any recipe ideas for chick peas x i love them but running out of things to do with them

Hoummus, chickpea dahl, stick them in a soup or curry to bulk it out?

I make onion bhajis with them dx

I do a quick and delicious chickpea curry:

Frylight
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
5 cm piece root ginger, grated
pinch of garam masala

Heat a deep saucepan or a medium sized wok and spray with frylight followed by the onions and garlic.
Fry the mixture till the onions are caramelised. Then add the salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red chilli powders. Mix for a minute and tip in the tomato. Cook the sauce until it begins to thicken.
Add 1/4 cup of water and stir. Then tip in the chickpeas and mix. Mash a few of the chickpeas while cooking. Cover and simmer for five minutes. Then add the ginger and the garam masala. Cook for another minute.
Serve with rice and loads of chopped salad.

Serves 2, free on EE

And a chickpea tagine:

400 g can chickpeas in water, rinsed and drained
1 red pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 courgettes, cut into bite-sized pieces
12 dried apricots
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Frylight
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
500 g carton passata
2 tsp honey
1 tsp harissa paste
handful fresh mint or coriander
0% Greek-style yoghurt, to serve

Place the chickpeas, pepper, onion, squash, courgettes and apricots into a slow cooker and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat the frylight in a frying pan, then fry the garlic and spices until fragrant, about one minute. Add the passata, honey and harissa, then bring to a boil.
Pour the sauce over the vegetables, cover with the lid and cook on high for four hours.
Season to taste with plenty of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Tear in most of the mint or coriander leaves, stir through, then scatter the remaining leaves over the top. Top with spoonfuls of yoghurt.
Serve with cous cous.

Serves 4, 5 syns per serving but you could probably reduce this by using sweetener instead of honey.

Hope these help!
Liz
X

Yes any beans straight from the tin are fine as they are all cooked in the tin.

I make chickpea pate and spread for sandwiches

Mushroom and Chickpea Pate
[h=3]Ingredients[/h]
  • 450g of mixed mushrooms
  • 1 large onion
  • tsp garlic puree
  • can of chickpeas
  • 2tsp all purpose seasoning
  • 2tsp dried mixed herbs,can use fresh,but all i had at the time
  • 2 eggs large
  • drizzle of olive oil[h=3]
    method_hdr.gif
    [/h]
    1. chop mushrooms and onoins .put oil and garlic in pan,add mushrooms ,seasoning and herbs.fry till softened ,and water gone from pan
    2. tip into a food processor ,and add chickpeas ,and eggs. pulse till coarse ,not puree
    3. line a 2lb loaf tin with oiled foil ,and pour mixture in .
    4. half fill an oven tray with boiling water,and place loaf tin in this (bain marie)
    5. bake on 200degrees ,for around 30 mins . check half way through cooking .done when quite firm ,but take out a little before,as residule heat will continue to cook
    6. invert onto a serving plate when cool ,and peel of the foil . can be sliced and re heated.lovely with an onoin chutney

Wow thanx guys they sound realy nice im gna give the curry pate a try x

Back