Chicken Casserole

Nigel g

Daft Bloke
Chicken casserole.
Serves 2
Trim all the fat and skin from 2 chicken legs and thighs.
2 med onions or 4 shallots.
2 garlic cloves
1 large carrot
½ fennel (optional)
1 celery stick
1 Kalo organic veg stock cube
1 tin chopped quality tomato
100 ml water
Milled salt and pepper to taste.

Chop up your onions not too small not too big.
Chop finely (do not crush) your garlic.
Slice carrots fennel celery into equal sizes say about ½ inch
Dissolve stock cube in ½ pint boiling water.
Open the tin of tomato

Method
Thick bottom pan required and when I say keep stirring please don’t leave it you have to keep stirring.
Get the pan hot then turn heat down to half
Add the water onion and garlic to the pan.
Stir till the water starts to boil
Once the water is starting to evaporate turn your heat up again and add the chicken
Stir the chicken and onion constantly until chicken has gone white, that will mean it has sealed.
Turn the heat down to a quarter then add all the veg and tomato and stock and stir to mix in together.
Leave to simmer but stir occasionally after about 20 mins it should be ready.
Serve on rice or potato of your choice.

I have done my best to ensure it is syn free but please forgive me if it has a syn in it.
Tip.. Tesco do 3 chicken for £10 at the moment if you are competent at cutting up chicken then freeze 2 for other things.:D

Thanks for this recipe. May i ask though is it not better to add the stock with the 100ml water at begining to start giving flavour to the onion and chicken? Thats what i always do, but you're the chef! Please advise...

Hi 5aday, You could do of course, my view on it is that the flavour from the stock would be overshadowed at that early stage by the onion and garlic as well as most of your stock evaporating. I like to take dominat flavours and match their flavours with the other ingredients in a dish unless the recipe is defined by it. Please by all means do it one time with your method and then with mine and see if there is a difference in the flavours. Good cooking is subjective and not always black and white as some people would have us believe.:D

Thank you so much for the advice Nigel g. I will add the stock at the later stage and see what a difference it makes to the overall flavour.

Back