Step 1 Sole Source Chicken...help!!!

sassybett

Ok so I'm on week 2 of SS, my consultant weighing me twice weekly at the mo, so first weigh in of week 2 today and only half a pound off???!!! But inches lost... Disappointed but I did eat some sainsburys be good to yourself cooked chicken slices only a few slices over the weekend but would this make that much difference? My consultant said I need to check it doesn't have any citric acid or preservatives in as that may affect weight loss... Been drinking plenty... Any ideas?? ?

Plain chicken (in small doses) would be ok, but if it is slices check it doesn't have loads of salt and preservatives that could have an effect. Read through the SS+ list and if you need to eat something stick with the list. I wouldn't worry about 1/2lb off particularly when you are being weighed so often, it will come off.

As a one off it won't make any difference but try not to cheat. Stick to the correct amount of products a day, don't drink more than 2l of water a day ( absolutely out dated advice and not necessary ) and the weight will drop

I started in July 2012 at 12 st 5. I was 10 st 4 within 7 weeks and now have maintained at 9 st 5/7 for over a year and I eat normally.

Keep the faith

dont drink more than 2L of water?? where on earth did you get this from? im hoping its a typo!!

It's completely outdated advice. Drink 3 or 4 litres and all you'll do is place unnecessary strain on your kidneys.

How do I know this?

I'm a doctor.

GretaGrip said:
It's completely outdated advice. Drink 3 or 4 litres and all you'll do is place unnecessary strain on your kidneys.

How do I know this?

I'm a doctor.

Thank you for confirming this, Greta! I keep pointing out on here that you really don't need to drink these huge quantities, certainly not on a food-based plan, it's such a misconception. But I can't imagine you need more than 2 litres even on a VLCD, do you? The body needs around 2.5 litres a day, is that right? But normally around half of that comes from food, so you only need to drink an average of around 1.2 litres on a plan where you're eating food. Surely on a VLCD a lot of fluid must come from the meal replacements? I don't know much about that aspect, so would be interested to hear if there's a medical reason why you have to over-hydrate on a VLCD. :) xx

There are probably several reasons why VLCD providers bang on about drinking your body weight in water every day. One will be that the products themselves are very concentrated and as you're not receiving fluid from any other food source it's wise to gulp down the water. Another reason will be that if you're sloshing about with water, you won't feel hungry!

If you're eating a normal diet - or even a Calorie controlled diet - it really is fine to just drink when you feel thirsty. It's as simple as that. No need to fit in any number of glasses or litres. If your wee isn't concentrated ( obviously don't count the first wee of the morning ) and a dark colour then you're hydrated. I aim for a litre to 1.5 , sometimes I have half a litre and other times I don't even have that. Our bodies are really good at regulating this stuff - you'll know if you need a drink.. It's called thirst : ) it's also very outdated now to think that you should drink before you feel thirsty. Nonsense

If you want to drink a shed load of litres it won't do you any harm - unless of course you go crazy! But it will cause tissues to swell, you could start retaining water and your kidneys will be under pressure. And for absolutely no benefit really.

I reckon 3 products a day ( if you're following a VLCD ) and 1.5 - 2 litres of water a day is quite sufficient for most people. If you're thirsty, drink more.

GretaGrip said:
Did you have anything further to add shrinking Alice? ; )

Oh and well done on the continuing loss Tracey - good stuff!

Aww, thanks Greta - I'm getting there, slowly but surely! I had my gallbladder out last week, so not pushing myself too hard to lose while I get back to normal. :) xx

GretaGrip said:
It does indeed fill you up, as per my second post.

Oh no Tracy - you must be in pain! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery

Thanks, hon, it's getting there - I no longer look 9 months pregnant from the swelling, maybe about 5 months now, lol. :D xx

you dont know this person, you do not know if they need more water than you are advising? Do you know if the person you are advising to drink LESS has any medical problems? Do they do alot of exercise or are they very active? I just think you need to be more careful about telling people to only drink when they are thirsty, or to only drink 2 litres! For example, I have kidney problems, have only 1 kidney now, i am under medical supervision whilst doing cambridge and have been advised to make sure i drink alot of water, ie. more than the 2 litres you are advising. Are they wrong? Should I ignore my doctor because someone on a forum says im doing it wrong? I doubt it! Just think before you put everyone is the same box. On a different matter... If you did cambridge to lose your weight then why are you on other posts saying how bad aspartame is? Have you forgotten how much you ingested yourself to get your weight off? You just think you know it all, just because you are a 'doctor'. My uncle is a doctor too, but he knows nothing about how much water to drink, hes a doctor of engineering, it means nothing!

: )

I don't put all people in a box and I don't actually care who drinks what and when. But I do care about relevant, up to date information being accessible to all and for myths to be corrected.

Aspartame? I don't remember giving my opinion on this but if you've searched my posts ( time on your hands? ) I shall take your word for it that I've mentioned it. And of course everyone knows it's not good for you, right? Unsure what your argument is with that one. I eat all sorts of unhealthy food ( eyes chocolate wrapper next to me ) but I eat it in moderation as far as I can. I don't judge what other people choose to eat or drink but SURELY it's more important to have access to basic facts as opposed to anecdotes about an old uncle / cousin / dog who drank 12 litres a day and still needed more?

Anyway, I've more than said my piece now. Maybe you know more than me anyway? Who knows! Best of luck in your weight loss journey

Oh and you having medical issues - especially relating to your kidneys - means that yes, of course your fluid intake would be different to someone else's.

I should have posted my original thoughts with a disclaimer. I just assumed people would know I was taking about the 'average ' majority. Never assume anything on here : )

Oh and you having medical issues - especially relating to your kidneys - means that yes, of course your fluid intake would be different to someone else's.

I should have posted my original thoughts with a disclaimer. I just assumed people would know I was taking about the 'average ' majority. Never assume anything on here : )

I think the issue was that your quote is "don't drink more than 2l of water a day" rather than a description of what the common misconception is and what the up to date information is that contradicts the misconception. Maybe like you said...you don't have time to go into that conversation from the beginning like some of us would but I bet you have now spent longer talking about it than it would have taken to start with.

Whats the up to date information on having a high level of ketones in your system? That's the reason I was given to drink plenty of water as it flushes them out. Is < 2lt enough to make you (the average person) need to urinate often enough to reduce that level to something healthier? Could your levels even reach an unhealthy level on the Cambridge Diet, is that even a possibility?

Hey Gretagrip

So I'm still bloated pre menstrual with no sign of its arrival and now lightheaded... Wondering if all this fluid is flushing away all these vitamins and minerals causing the lighthead?

Debating a multi vit? I know they say you shouldn't need it but can't handle feeling dizzy!!

Have you experience this?

Back