Chicken Korma

wenjenn66

Chicken Korma

As promised:
serves 4
ready in about 50 minutes
8oz onions
2 1/2cm fresh root ginger
1/4 pint chicken stock made with bovril(I used knorr stock cube)
4 chicken breasts
1 tbsp ground corriander
1 cinnamon stick
5 cardomon pods
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon (I used lemon juice ie Jif)
1oz grated creamed coconut
5oz low fat natural yogurt
1/2oz flaked toasted almonds (i didnt use this)
a small handful of fresh corriander
lemon wedge to serve

Method:
roughlt chop onions, garlic and ginger. Place in food processor blend for a few seconds until smooth paste (I used crushed garlic and ginger)transfer to frying pan, add stock bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins
cut chicken into chunks. add to the mixture and cook stirring soften for a further 5 mins or until chicken coloured all over. Stir in the spioces, seasoning and lemon juice. Add the coconut and cook gently for 10 mins
Gradually add the yogurt a spoonful at a timestirring continuously.
Cover and cook for a further minute until thick. Pour in 1/4pt water and simmer gently for 15-20 mins until chicken is tender and cooked through.
discard the cinamon stick and cardomon pods. sprinkle with almonds and corriander and serve.

it is very pale in colour so it might be an idea to add some yellow food colouring (I added turmeric spice)

Hope you enjoy this it is gorgeous ....

wow thank you very much :)

can u still taste the sweetness of the nat yog after cooking it and adding the spices? or does it take that lil sweetness out of it

thanks

I was about to post a new thread but noticed this was a recipe with yog in so thought I'd ask here.

Last night I cooked a recipe from the Slimming World Curry Heaven cookbook, that included FF natural yog. I was surprised that it said to cook for 20 mins after adding yog as I always thought yog would split if cooked too long - but thought, its in the recipe book it must be right.

however, lo and behold, after about 15 mins on very low heat, it split and turned really gross looking - had to drain the liquid and add some new yog (and took my eyes off and it went again! - had very little sauce in the end!)

What did I do wrong? Should I have been stirring continuously? (I had a million and one things to do at the same time so that was never gonna happen!) I thought maybe the book was wrong and it would never work, but I see your Korma receipe has yoghurt cooked for 15-20 mins - how did you do it? Would fat free fromage frais work instead do you think?

I had the same problem when I made the tikka curry so......

What I did was let the sauce cool, then add the yogurt.... and heat gently when you want to serve it, it seemed to work better....

Chicken Korma

As promised:
serves 4
ready in about 50 minutes
8oz onions
2 1/2cm fresh root ginger
1/4 pint chicken stock made with bovril(I used knorr stock cube)
4 chicken breasts
1 tbsp ground corriander
1 cinnamon stick
5 cardomon pods
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon (I used lemon juice ie Jif)
1oz grated creamed coconut
5oz low fat natural yogurt
1/2oz flaked toasted almonds (i didnt use this)
a small handful of fresh corriander
lemon wedge to serve

Method:
roughlt chop onions, garlic and ginger. Place in food processor blend for a few seconds until smooth paste (I used crushed garlic and ginger)transfer to frying pan, add stock bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins
cut chicken into chunks. add to the mixture and cook stirring soften for a further 5 mins or until chicken coloured all over. Stir in the spioces, seasoning and lemon juice. Add the coconut and cook gently for 10 mins
Gradually add the yogurt a spoonful at a timestirring continuously.
Cover and cook for a further minute until thick. Pour in 1/4pt water and simmer gently for 15-20 mins until chicken is tender and cooked through.
discard the cinamon stick and cardomon pods. sprinkle with almonds and corriander and serve.

it is very pale in colour so it might be an idea to add some yellow food colouring (I added turmeric spice)

Hope you enjoy this it is gorgeous ....

how many syns is this on ee please?

how many syns is this on ee please?

As long as you use syn free yoghurt the only syns I can see are

1oz grated creamed coconut = 8.5
1/2oz flaked toasted almonds = 4

= 3 syns per serving if shared by 4

Back