Chickpea Chat

Gosh MFP is quite addictive isn't it?
It's so time consuming though- I guess it gets quicker as you have more things 'saved' as meals etc.

Yep. I have gotten a little bit obsessed with adding things to it. It does get faster when you save things as recipes or meals and also your 'recently used' and 'most used' lists will build up the things you tend to eat.

I noticed it too that mfp seems to just throw a huge chunk of people on a 1200 calorie a day diet.

I just fiddled around with my mfp diet/fitness profile settings, and no matter which normal daily activities I pick it all kept my calories at 1200 if I want to lose 2 lbs a week. Only when I put it to someone with a very active lifestyle(bike messanger or carpenter), it raised my calories to 1320. No wonder why the forums there are full of posts of people being confused on why they haven't lost weight or gained weight when according to mfp they should have lost blah blah amount by then.

I think what MFP forgets to incorporate is that each person's body is different on how it takes in, burns and stores calories. Also the fact that not all calories are the same in how it effects the body. The more I look at it, the more low GL makes a lot more sense. It's crazy since at first I couldn't figure it out. But after reading most of the book and seeing how my body reacts to low or high GL, it just makes sense.

Hmm I'm a little bit concerned about this week's weigh-in. I'm meeting a friend to help her with some paperwork and I was hoping to do it on Thursday after I weighed but we need to do it Tuesday instead. I just know that there will be a cake or a bun or something as she wants to treat me to say thanks. She is dieting herself but likes to joke that if somebody else buys you food than it is calorie-free. Which is amusing but of course not actually true. :( And I was actually on track for a possible loss this week even factoring in The Curse of the Weigh-In Day! :'(

Anybody got a suggestion of which types of cakes or buns might be a better choice? Or how to withstand well-meaning peer pressure to consume cake when one knows one should just say no? Where's Nancy Reagan when you need her?

I have no idea what kind of cake is a good cake. Carrot cake, since it has carrots in it? I have no idea, as so far I'm the poster child for what not to do on low GL >_<

Molly!!! Where are you? I know Molly would have the answer to this for sure!

I was thinking maybe carrot cake, or a gluten-free cake if they have one as those tend to have ground almonds as the major ingredient. Gosh. I just don't know.

Normally if I decided to have a piece of cake it would be no big deal but I guess I feel in this case like the decision is out of my hands if that makes sense? So if I'm going to have cake when I don't particularly want to have cake then I would like to pick the least bad cake possible. I could obviously choose just to say no but I don't want to hurt my friend's feelings. :(

What ever decision you make, it will be ok. Because after all you're eating low GL majority of the time. The cake can be the 20% naughty part :)

How about

*mini muffin
*toasted teacake - its still a cake!
*Weight Watchers Carrot Cakes - slice of 27g=71 calories
*Marks and Spencer Dark Chocolate Jaffa Cakes :D Calories and 1 Serving=1 Cake=43 calories

Thanks ladies. A toasted teacake is a good idea, they're not very sweet at all and just about everywhere has them. :)

Where's Nancy Reagan when you need her?

It took me a while to work the Nancy Reagan reference out. You're showing your age Plum :D But then again, so am I :(

Could you suggest to your friend that you share a slice of cake? Then you only have to eat a half of it, and could probably get away with just a quarter.

Or you could just tell her that you ate right before you met her and you're just not hungry. It sounds like if you tell her you don't want it because of the diet she will pressure you in to it anyway, but she can't really argue with you not being hungry.

And if you do end up just eating a piece of cake, then it is just one piece of cake- on its own it cannot ruin your weigh in this week : )

Those are both excellent ideas Ruth, thank you! I feel less anxious about it now that I have some anti-cake tools at my disposal. :)

No long weekend here.... it's not like Molly to stay away for so long... hope everything is ok.

Does anyone have her private email or anything to check up on her???

No, afraid not but I'm sure she'll be back on here soon. Hopefully she's off enjoying herself somewhere nice!

Back