Chickpea Chat

I guess Molly will probably have gotten an email notification that we posted in her thread. I agree with shakenomore that hopefully she's off enjoying herself!

I got a new set of scales yesterday, the old ones were still showing different readings despite having fresh batteries. The new ones seem pretty good and they also show a visceral fat rating. This is the fat that's around your organs etc which is unhealthy if it's high, and I was worried mine would be high because I'm quite apple-shaped. But it was at the high end of the 'ok' range which was a pleasant surprise. I think it would have been higher before doing low GI/GL actually if I'd been able to measure it.

Unlike my old scales, though, the new ones do not take your body fat % into account when calculating your BMR and so the number of calories it gives is higher. So I guess I'll keep hold of the old ones and drag them out every couple of months to see what number they give, unless I ever manage to get my fat % down to a more normal level. It's annoying not being able to do any real exercise, although I've lost 20lb my fat % is still exactly the same.

Well Plum, if you don't want those 20 lbs loss, I will be more than happy to take the loss for you :) Hehehe :)

It's important that you've taken a step to lose weight and be healthier. Also according to the GL bible, it says that eating low GL foods gives you more muscles and burn fat :)

LOL Cali don't worry, I am not knocking the 20lb loss and I also appreciate that I feel/look healthier. ;) I think that you're absolutely right that GI/GL gives the best chance to burn fat as opposed to losing muscle compared to other ways of eating! :D

Fear not, dear friends!!! I am hovering! I'm bothered with a very bad back at present. A bit too doped up on pain meds to make enough sense posting!!
Keep well, keep the GL faith, no slacking!!
I'll be back on line soon!

irish molly said:
Fear not, dear friends!!! I am hovering! I'm bothered with a very bad back at present. A bit too doped up on pain meds to make enough sense posting!!

Ah Molly you poor dear. :( Hope you feel much better soon, take care!

Awwww Molly, I'm sorry to that your back is hurting:( Naughty back being mean to Molly :nono:.

I hope your back gets better soon. Thank you for posting to let us know how you're doing. We were getting really worried.

One of our cats is also on a diet; we have a big cat and a little cat. The big cat has been getting increasingly tubby over winter, so I have decreased his food allowance. So now he spends ALL day grumping loudly about it. (and he is the noisiest cat I have ever come across)- it's driving me BONKERS!

Attachments

• Sept-2010-236.jpg
    Sept-2010-236.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 33
Your kitties are so cute! I can't imagine a grumpy and hungry kitty >_<

What beautiful cats you have, Ruth! We have similarly, one of ours is very slim and the other, although not big to look at, is incredibly dense and heavy. And both are not shy about vocalising their feelings - I recommend spongy earplugs or just going out for the afternoon. ;) Do you find it difficult to keep the one cat from scoffing down all the other cat's food?

(nooo, mine are not spoiled...)

Attachments

• cats_small.jpg
    cats_small.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 40
So, daily weighing has come up in a couple of diaries today and I thought I'd bring it here for generic chickpea opinions. What are your thoughts about it?

Personally, on the one hand I find it gives me some sense of control in that I know what's going on all the time, and the thought of not knowing how I was doing raises the irrational fear that if I didn't weigh-in for a whole week I would somehow put on 10lb and be unprepared for this on weigh-in day. Also I find it interesting just from a curiousity point of view. On the other hand, though, I find it can sometimes be frustrating and demoralising when things are not going the way it seems they should.

Today in fact I am thinking about whether to weigh in every two weeks in September, just so I can stop thinking about it all the time. I will still eat low GI/GL and so realistically my weight at the end of the month will still be exactly what it would have been. But could I hack it for 2 weeks at a time? Not sure!

(as an aside, has anybody ever had their porridge curdle? I can't think of a better way to describe it, other than 'majorly disgusting', but it's never happened to me before and I don't know how it could have - the milk was fresh. breakfast is so late today that I've decided to just skip it rather than make something else and go straight to lunch!)

o_O how did your porridge do that!?! It sounds really kinda scarey. Did you mix the liquid and oats together before putting it in the microwave or stovetop?

I've thought about not weighing myself everyday. Though I think it's great for me to know that when I ate this much or that much food it made me weigh more, or how long it took for me to get rid of all that food I ate away. Like what happened with eating all the Korean food, it took a good 2 days for that weight to go away. Then I had high GL foods, and it caused me to have STS.

It isn't fun to see a weight gain. But then again even when I wasn't dieting back in the days, my weight would go up or down a few pounds naturally. My guy is the same way, his weight always fluctuates a few pounds.

It *was* scary porridge! Porridge should not be scary. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no breakfast foods should be scary. Apparently the husband heated up the milk and water before putting the oats in. I guess that must be what did it. We won't be doing that again.

My daily weight fluctuates too; I guess I have to decide whether I can retain a detached curiousity about it and if so then there's no harm done!

(Cali, I see you changed your mini-goal about the medium shirts! You *did* fit into a medium shirt even if it wasn't one of your old ones! ;) )

Ohhh ewww, yeah sometimes if you overheat milk it gets this weird gooey clot things in it. I find it gross when that happens.

Hehe, so you noticed Plum. Well I did fit into the shirt, but sometimes that stores sizes aren't the same. Like you can wear an M on one shirt, and then an L on another one. I have 2 or 3 size M shirts from that place, when I was at my biggest, which was nearer to a size XL. So I'm a little sceptical of their sizing.

I have to admit that my husband says he can never get away with anything because I notice *everything*. Well, he is probably right, I do, but I try not to be too annoying about it. ;) I am not always successful at that part. :D It's what I get paid to do at work but if I'm honest it also suits my personality a bit too well. ;)

I know what you mean about the shop sizes, they really can be all over the place!

Re: watching weight everyday. As you know I don't have scales at home as I can get a bit obsessive. I think daily weight watching is fine if you don't get hung up about it, but I think that most people do get hung about it OTHERWISE THEY WOULD NOT WEIGH THEMSELVES EVERYDAY!

The thing is our bodies do what they want to do when they want to do it. Eaten bulky food? Oh hell, I'll take my time getting rid of it? Time of the month? Gee, I'll retain some extra water. Eaten healthily yesterday? I'll show you who's boss...

If you are weighing yourself everyday then you are going through the agonies and euphorias on a daily basis. Is that good for you? I doubt it, it's causing you stress. Can you stop it? Absolutely not...

OK rant over. :D

I'm a scale addict! I'll live with my daily ups and downs :) Scale Addicts Anonymous >_<

I think I'm going to stop counting calories. Just MFP to track my exercise and weight, and measurements.

Get well soon Molly!! Take care.:sigh:

Back